General News 1.0

that’s not my understanding but okay.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This is objectively incorrect

2 Likes

It’s depressing that these articles always end with “This shooting comes X days after this other mass shooting” (where X is usually a horribly small, single-digit number) and “This shooting is reminiscent of these other 8 mass shootings that have all blended together in your head.”

*Edited in updated story

9 Likes

Thankfully no one was hurt, so this is a bit of lighter news. Florida man can now be replaced with New Hampshire Man :joy:

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain you used an English plural translation for the Latin singular there. Don’t make me send John Cleese with a gladius at you!

4 Likes

On a more positive note, the European Space Agency has announced a diverse new class of astronauts, including Paralympian John McFall, whose right leg was amputated when he was 19.

McFall will initially be part of a parastronaut feasibility study, so there’s no guarantee that he’ll actually make it into space. (But, c’mon, they have to launch the guy into orbit at some point, right? :grin:)

6 Likes
9 Likes

9 Likes

Pretty clearly this whole movement is now just an “I hate Trudeau” thing. Of course, that’s all it was from the beginning too, but now it’s undeniable since there aren’t even any mandates to protest against.

4 Likes

What makes wolves in packs leaders and what makes others followers?

I won’t spoil the surprise, you can’t guess it anyway:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-03836-9

5 Likes

MRW reading

Physical and behavioural changes have also been found in people: testosterone and dopamine production is increased and more risks are taken.

So legal parasite steroids, interesting.

5 Likes

wasn’t that whole alpha business discredited? something about the study being on wolves in captivity and not replicable in their normal environment, i think. could be wrong, mind.

4 Likes

I looked it up, it seems indeed that wolves have no strong leader. Though they do have a leading pair (male+female) but are only acting authoritarian in certain situations, not all the time.

1 Like

It was discredited and David Mech has stated that he personally disregards the theory in light of the evidence researchers found like a normal, smart, sane person. Unfortunately Alpha Wolf Theory attracts people are not normal, smart or sane. The opposite is true while wolf packs have leaders it isn’t because they are nothing more than the leading breeding couple and wolves that turn solitary often die quicker than a wolf in a pack.

Fun Fact: Pecking orders are a real thing, chickens do actually fit the Alpha animal pattern albeit it is hens that are the dominant ones.

5 Likes

nice one!

3 Likes

Also funny cuz self proclaimed Alpha Males are basically admitting they’re in captivity.

Yeah, they’re in MIND JAIL!

4 Likes

The PM testified today at the inquiry and said neither CSIS nor OPP, OPS or any other police services had any plan on how to stop the convoy.

3 Likes

The alpha dynamic is also present in rat colonies, where alphas signal their status by peeing on everything, constantly… so incontinence is an actual alpha trait…

8 Likes

:joy: that’s hilarious. I’ll remember this in a couple decades when I’m back in diapers.

1 Like