Growing with Hitman

I started this topic because I wanted to allow members to share their story on how they approached to the Hitman series, and how it influenced their childhood or youth. Has it affected your immagination, or your perception of things?

Feel free to speak of whatever you like, from atmosphere to soundtracks, or even real experiences. Everything you feel suggestive about the series.

Update | I’ll tell my experience:

I firstly bought Blood Money from a bootleg’s shop when I was 7 years old. I remember scrolling his catalogue, searching for the most intriguing cover (without knowing anything of the game). I was catched by it because I found the cover to be very elegant and mature-looking, the type of game an adult would have played: what I remember the most is the black background with red and gold logo, this austere-looking man in a really dapper suit, wielding a wire, really arcane and fascinating. Me and my older brother used to watch my father play it in our new house every Saturday evening, after eating a pizza. I remember the day when he and his friend stood up right after Requiem’s credits, thinking the game was over. I was now allowed to play the game. Some years later (after I had played Contracts), I was curious the see how 47’s altar was lowered into the crematorium again. I was getting bored, so I randomly pressed every key in my controller, and I was shocked when 47 suddenly woke up from the dead. I screamed out of joy, and was able to complete the very last mission.

14 Likes

I grew up playing Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem, Blood and Resident Evil, i played Codename 47 for the first time when I was 10 or maybe 11.
I dont think it affected me in the slightest, I’m a relatively normal Guy with a normal Aggression Level.

10 Likes

Well I grew up without having my own PC for a long time. My first experience with the PC was when I was ~5 in '97, toying with a PC with Win95 on it. Played things like MS-Paint (yes, I considered it a game), Prince of Persia 1, Grand Prix Circuit, Doom 2 and many other games, both for Windows and Dos throughout the years and before getting a PC of my own in 2005 when I was ~13, I also discovered the I N T E R W E B S where I played A LOT of flash games. I had my first conversations with people outside of my country by playing flash games :laughing:
When I was a bit older I also visited NetCafes like crazy and play unhealthy hours of Counter-Strike over LAN. This is where I learned about games such as Half-Life and Max Payne and many many others.
When I got my PC, I didn’t have the I N T E R W E B S so I relied on demos / full games from gaming magazines and pirated copies of games, that’s how I ended up with games such as Hitman 2: Silent Assassin :stuck_out_tongue:.
Finally got access to the I N T E R W E B S around 2007 and the rest is history :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I started playing the series when I was 13. It has greatly fuelled my desire to travel and see as much of the world as I can. I already wanted to do this, but the games had such wonderful locations in them that they certainly helped me decide that traveling had to be an important piece of my life.

7 Likes

This :point_up_2: though that’s been as an adult playing the recent trilogy.

Don’t think playing Absolution as a teenager had too much of an effect on me tbh (thank god) :smile:

7 Likes

I added my experience as an almost-lifetime player. :slightly_smiling_face:

i think i was in my early twenties when c47 came out. i can’t say it affected me beyond quickly becoming one of my favourite series and opening me up to the value of great level design.

i guess i like red ties more?

6 Likes

and people act like I’m an old man, i was born 1990 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i only own 2 Ties, both are red :grinning:

6 Likes

I felt the same playing Hitman: Silent Assassin. Amazing ambient work: “H2 Exploration” feels like you’re really esploring a whole new land, joyfully in some way. The games also seems a hero’s brave journey.

i’m not old; i’m mature, you fanny. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

I first got a hold of Codename 47 when I was 8 years old. My sister’s fiancé introduced me to it and said it was a pretty cool game. Before that, my favourite game was Half-Life, but after playing through C47 and seeing the amazing intriguing story and style of the game, I decided it was to become my all-time favourite. Then afterwards I tried all the games sequentially and loved each one. Nothing has topped the Hitman series for me ever since and I think some day I’ll get the Hitman insignia tattoo’d on my arm because of it.

7 Likes

Come to think of it I don’t actually own any :thinking:

1 Like

My first experience with Hitman was playing the demo for Codename 47 on PC, probably not too long after the game had been released. This would have been late 2000 or perhaps early 2001.

I think the demo came with an issue of PC World or PC Gamer back in the day when they used to provide demo discs. I’d watched the trailer before with a previous disc, and for some reason it had reminded me of that awful Kingpin Life of Crime FPS game which is a rather odd comparison to make. But that is what my teenage brain thought at the time. Anyway, the trailer that I’d seen showed 47 waking up in the Asylum and had a feeling of mystery to it and that got me intrigued. So I tried the demo, which was the first “real” level from the game - Kowloon Triads in Gang War - in which you had to kill the Red Dragon negotiator. I climbed the building to the top, sniped the Red Dragon negotiator and then promptly got the shit blown out of me by a guy in a helicopter. I reloaded and did it again, and the same thing happened.

“Fuck this game!”, I said, and quit.

A few hours later I was back playing it again and trying to find a way to get away from the chopper. Eventually I figured out you could snipe the gunner and it would fly away. The rest, as they say, is history!

7 Likes

I’m not into tattoo, but the Hitman Insignia sounds unconventionally original. Just be sure it’s the classic one. :sweat_smile:

Of course it’s this one. I don’t have any tattoos and this would likely be my only one, unless I decided to go bald and have a barcode on the back of the head as well.

1 Like

The Hitman series helped me perfect my creativity, responsiveness and memory.
It has always been a puzzle game without it being named so.

I remember when I was young asking an Ukrainian friend for some translations in the Bjarkhov mission.

7 Likes

My first console was a PS2 and I bought 2 used games with it… Mark of Kri and Hitman 2 SA. Many games and consoles later, these are still my best and favorite experiences. I know there are better games out now, but I don’t think anything will ever top those 2 games as an initiation.

6 Likes

Teenage you didn’t want to come visit Chicago? Adult you would like it.

2 Likes

I would love to get the Chance to visit Chicago. Windy City, Home of Al Capone and even more important: Ed Boon and Netherrealm Studios.

4 Likes

You really gonna try and argue Absolution made anywhere look good? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Teenage me would’ve though Chicago was just one big grimey alley

1 Like