H3 User reviews (Spoilers!)

So after a week of playing H3, here’s a (tad long) review from someone who has been obsessed with Hitman since Codename 47.

Presentation
The first thing that strikes me when playing H3 is the improved presentation. The cinematics are superior to its predecessors - even the more expensive looking ones in H1, because in H3, they don’t feel disconnected from gameworld itself. The “intro” cutscenes showing the levels and targets in-game have been cut down and don’t look as clunky as in the previous games.

The direction they took with the music is more orchestral and emotional, less spy thriller. It’s great! The overall sound design is immaculate, with well placed film score-esque ques blending more seemingly with the gameplay than ever. As a result of this presentation, the story also really drags you in more than ever.

Locations
The opening in Dubai is just breathtaking. The locations themselves are amazing and the true stars of the game. This is where I feel that H3 really takes everything to the next level. With hints of the old games, they manage to elevate the locations to a more distinct and original place. Take Mendoza as an example. It’s an appreciated throwback to A Vintage Year, but the idea behind the old level was simply a “Chilean vineyard”. This time, it’s a vineyard plus both original and stunning architecture that takes everything a step higher. This has been true for the entire trilogy, but I feel like they really went above and beyond with H3 locations especially Dubai, Dartmoor, Chongqing and Mendoza. The art direction team and level builders really need a raise.

Gameplay
I was a little skeptical to begin with when I saw that there were three mission stories per level. I thought maybe the levels weren’t as intricate as before. I was wrong. There are just multiple puzzles in H3, that are not bound to any mission stories, which I feel is a return to more open ended and old school Hitman gameplay. I can respect that. The three mission stories that are available from the start are in turn more elaborate and fun. The “minimal” story guidance I had on was improved as well, to where the puzzles actually made sense, even without the markers. This wasn’t always the case in past games, where they were clearly intented to be played on “full”.

Gunplay
This has not really been recognized on HMF or elsewhere, but am I the only one who feels that the gunplay has been improved? I know Hitman is not a perfect shooter, but I was on a bit of a fringe rampage with an AK in Dubai’s penthouse area the other night… and the weapons felt powerful and really responsive. The AI a bit better (maybe it’s just a good shootout environment) and it was cool AF to see the guards blasted down by the AK.

Story
I liked the overall story in the trilogy. Some of it is a little hit and miss, but I really like Lucas Grey as character, and what he brought out in 47. I think 47 still managed to feel badass and independent in his cutscenes with Grey in H3, not just Grey’s bitch (as some people speculated from the trailers). IOI hinted that they might make a game in the universe without 47 as the lead character, and I made a thread about a potential Lucas Grey game.

Anyway, the story wraps up good. It was not super surprising or mind blowing, which I was expecting from the devs pre-game hype. But once the story settled with me, it does make a lot of sense in context of the whole trilogy. Its themes are established in H1 and they are very neatly concluded on in H3. It ties together well.

Emotional 47?
The best thing about the story is that it made you actually feel for 47. We finally see the lonely and somewhat exploited side of him that was somewhat alluded to in past games, but never fully explored. The cutscene after Mendoza surprisingly breaks some kind of wall and takes us inside of 47’s head. IO’s writers managed to walk the fine line of showing the emotional side of 47 without compromising his character. He is still badass, and I like that he points the gun at Diana in the garden, because he is clever enough to realize that her Constant-position must have come with a price.

There are multiple places in H3 where his intelligence and no-bullshit attitude is emphasized, and it’s just fucking cool. I also actually did end up liking the path the writers took as far as Diana being somewhat vigilante and acting as 47’s consciousness in using his killer abilities for “good”. Something 47 outsourced to her and trusted her with. The faith that 47 shows Diana throughout H3 (but not without skepticism) is really interesting as well.

Symbolism
I like that the writers team made everything feel connected through symbolism etc. Some of the things I noticed:

• The Chongqing level mirroring 47 being exploited and his overall lack of agency. Both targets are working on ways of predicting and controlling human behavior, which is clearly what 47 is trying to break out of.
  • While I’m not super into the last level, I do appreciate the symbolism of 47 being stuck on a train/track going one inevitable direction, and him finally hitting the breaks and stepping of the train into independence.

Overall
I can’t help the feeling that the game is just too short. I know how the emphasis has been on replay in this trilogy, but that used to be something for us hardcore fans and not a defining feature for all players. I get that IO has had their limitations from being a relatively small independent studio, but imagine how things would have played out, had it been two games of 12 levels. Or even better, one game of 20+ levels - then we’re actually in RDR2 league of value for money and quality, and the games would maybe have a had a shot at the success it actually deserves. I totally see how this was not possible though. But the length of H3 is my one big gripe with the game, especially with the Romania level.

I’m sure I will be viewing the WOA-trilogy more as one full game as time goes on, and my problems with the length of H3 will fade. The PC Gamer review hit the nail on the head with this point, saying that if they were to review the whole trilogy, it would almost be a perfect 10 and that as a package, this trilogy is one of the best games ever made for PC. I agree wholeheartedly.

I like how they focused on core sandbox improvements and playing with the concepts of a Hitman level in different ways instead of focusing on gimmicky features etc. They really just expanded on the meat of the game with H3.

Even if H3 is short, they are some of the best levels of the trilogy. I feel like Dubai does not get it’s due in here for some reason. So many cool kill opportunities (Lucas Grey on screen kill, sabotaged paraschutes etc.) and so beautiful and distinct in art direction. The Dartmoor murder mystery is just so playful and confidently crafted, I love it. Berlin has amazing atmosphere and another twist on the formula. I love Chongqing and Mendoza. I love IO and I will surely be enjoying the trilogy for years to come.

10 Likes