Hitman 3 Graphics vs Hitman 2016

Marrakesh always looked crap. GOTY Paris was GOAT.

3 Likes

I have a soft spot for Marrakesh. I loved the location. Paris was amazing though, hell of a map.

1 Like

Eh, textures that no one really looks at, still sucks though.

Iā€™ve found the earlier maps to look a lot cleaner/vibrant compared to HITMAN 2.

Series X

3 Likes

Have you tried playing night bonus missions? I think they look even darker and faded in comparison with Hitman 2. Especially night Marrakesh and night Bangkok

I doubt this is a bug. Different people worked on the maps. From this I can assume that everyone had one goal - to lower the overall quality of detail. Perhaps this was part of the optimization work. But again, itā€™s not clear why these changes are on the ultra graphics preset.

I suggest making this thread official. Last time the forum made changes to the lighting system. Perhaps this time it will turn out

2 Likes

Itā€™d be weird to downgrade the 1 and 2 maps for performance when the 3 maps look the best of all. Like is a little bit of smoke in one area in Marrakesh really more taxing than an entire level showcasing detailed rain and puddles?

5 Likes

The saddest thing is that Hitman 3 is the final iteration of the game client. Chances are high that it will remain in its current state.

3 Likes

Im happy that someone mades this thread because after some heavy testing and ansel usage I also figured out that in Hitman 3, all legacy content is basically worse looking. The new tress that mess up things like shadows and cinematics (Santa Fortuna default entrance), the reduced LOD, the sometimes highly reduced texture detail and more make not only Hitman 1 but also HItman 2 maps look worse in detail. Overall, they look better, thanks to lightning and reflections. But when you spend 400 hours in both previous games its just so obvious that you cant ignore it, and Im sad about this.

11 Likes

Especially here, you circled two things in the distance, and what about the whole forest dissapearing to your right? Whole beach is cut empty there, trees arent the same, its like they replaced it all with placeholders. I know it was done so the trilogy wouldnt be 200+ gb but seriously. Id rather have this, than a whole downgrade. They spend actual time making this game look worse on more powerful hardware for what, less space usage? Thats really, really bad. And I would lie if this wasnt exactly was I was saw comming when they announced it all.

EDIT:

The two videos here just make me sad. I never realised this in terms of destructibility, but it shocks me. I remember back in the day when Paris came out and it was really demanding on PC and people said ā€œTrue next Gen Experienceā€. Ouch.

5 Likes

I want to be proved wrong but I really think that all of this little downgrade here and there could be related to te drastic reduced GB of the entire Hitman trilogy throughout Hitman 3.

They said they improved loading time of objects using some new algorithm but Iā€™m starting to think that while they said they donā€™t have reduced quality of the maps instead itā€™s happened just like this and many of us have noticed these changes especially the resolution and draw distance of objects like grass etc. I really hope IOI can improve this in future we will see.

7 Likes

Canā€™t get over how it looks like HIII is on Ultra and HITMAN is running Ultra-X. Itā€™s as if theyā€™ve just turned off certain patches of vegetation and such. Cā€™mon, IO. Let us kill our PCs if we want.

1 Like

I just checked a few things that are shown in the video. For example:

So they already added in some of the detail, or the youtuber played some old version pre-release, or unpatched version. Who knows.

But things like the trees, reduced LOD and texture resolution NEED to be addressed. The trees actually mess up content, the LOD looks terrible, and the texture resolution, well, even while not that bad, it makes especially old content look worse than it could be.

All these things have to do with the GB of the game. The tress for example are probably the best example, and vegetation overall. They have been probably reduced to a few unique trees over the whole game, meaning now its for example not 10 gb of 100 trees but 2 gb of maybe 20, placed by this algorythm. They even said ā€œthings they have twice in the gameā€. I know that things like DLC had been split up, if you had all sapienza missions installed, you basically had Sapienza installed FOUR times on your pc. They said they reduced that by, for example, make the base map be on your pc and the rest of the additional gb are the actual differences, not the whole map all over again.

But it did create a bad looking result if you compare them 1:1.

7 Likes

A couple of days ago I noticed a downgraded LOD animation of a crowd in Paris. While on the second and third floor, you could see the crowd animation refreshing every few seconds. It looked disgusting.

Now I have not been able to fully reproduce this situation for the entire crowd on the first floor. But part of the crowd still uses simplified animation

3 Likes

All this talk of downgrades and hopes that IO will fix the issues soon.

Itā€™s clear by now that they arenā€™t going too. They didnā€™t do it in H2 and they certainly wonā€™t for H3 now that they have other projects to work on.

8 Likes

This is more related to the ongoing lighting discussions, but the comparisons are a great reminder on how the aggressive green tint in Marrakesh from Hitman 2 hurts object visual clarity and its overall look.

At least Sapienza received some changes, still not there yet I think.

3 Likes

There is a problem with the bangkok background, the boats go mental on ps5 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

And its a shame. They did something noone asked for, and when people complain, they dont even want to change it. This is definitely a bad thing, and should be pointed out as such.

9 Likes

IOI is known for this.

2 Likes

Wondering if these downgrades helped in reducing the file size? (Excuse my dev ignorance here).

That said, H3 for the legacy maps are noticeably ā€œlessā€ than 2016ā€™s versions. Could this be the result of optimizations?

1 Like

I mean, thatā€™s what I assume.

And Iā€™m not tech savvy in the slightest, but it makes sense to my small brain.

And I say all this, admittedly, not really noticing the difference.

I play on PS4 and Iā€™ve never really looked at differing screenshots and thought they looked massively different.
But thatā€™s just me.

1 Like

i think, at most, these LOD changes might be to help optimization. but i cant imagine it was worth such a big detail sacrifice to put onto even the high-end PCs

4 Likes