HITMAN 3 Soundtrack / OST - Discussion

Downloading zip files on a phone is like sawing logs in an ashtray.

Erm, what? :joy:
20 ‘wot’ memes.

1 Like

Ah, must be a phrase only used here in the Northeast. Basically you wouldn’t be able to cut at all.

A similar phrase would be “exercise in futility.”

I do side IT work and I wouldn’t even attempt to download Rar files on any phone :laughing:

I use 2 forums. One is a shooting forum here in the Northeast US and this is the other one. I sometimes forget phrases/slang don’t translate well across the country/world lol.

1 Like

There’s a lot more substance here than the previous 2 games’ music IMO, but still nowhere near my favourite in the franchise. Niels did a good job channeling Kyd’s orchestral bombast, but his electronic side I find lacking. A lot of the electronic sections of songs aren’t too experimental, usually just being a persistent arpeggiation of a variety of synths, something you find commonly in spy thriller media. Which I guess is the point lol, but I definitely wish there was more variety there. A really awesome aspect I’m glad Niels brought back is cultural scales in tracks like Dubai. I think for a heavily location-based game like WoA, the accents shouldn’t just be present in voice acting, but also the music too.

Overall, it doesn’t do much for me, but I could definitely see myself not turning the music off this time around and substituting it with other songs. It’s… pretty good!

Edit: I will say the Berlin track is absolutely baller, and I wish this kind of music was the stylistic basis of the whole trilogy, with a fair degree of variation of course. Hitman’s music has always erred more towards IDM than straight dance music. Def my favourite track of the 3 games

If you’re going to use your own music choices, then may I suggest this for any Morocco playthroughs? :joy:

2 Likes

haha I usually just use music from other Hitman games or stealth games like Splinter Cell, but I’ll save this one for a Kill-Everyone run

2 Likes

More on the electronic style point:

If the trilogy had more music like this then I would have been over the MOON. Like you can totally imagine how this would sound as ambience, and getting tenser and tenser up until combat.

7 Likes

The problem with that is that when you’re playing the game, it’s very muted in terms of climax. The nearest thing, so far, has been the DJ opportunity in Berlin.

1 Like

100% agreed. no question about it. it’s a great track all around, and the hype up / climax portion of the song harkens back to Contracts so hard it practically jumps out of the screen

1 Like

I’m currently working on some music (inspired by Hitman and alert levels in stealth games) that tries to solve the problem of including lite-dance music in a stealth game. Generally if a player is doing things correctly, they’ll never get to hear the awesome parts of a track usually relegated to combat. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a great example of an award-winning OST where half of each track you don’t hear in-game if you’re playing stealthily.

The solution IMO is to write music that doesn’t rely on rise-and-fall progressions you hear in club music. No, it would be more akin to something like minimal house and ambient music, where most of the cool melodies, rhythms, and moods persist throughout the song. This way, you as a player can feel like you’ve gotten the whole idea of a song and how it informs the atmosphere of any particular gameplay scenario without having to hear the full track. Variation would come in the form of instrument layering; the track would be melodically similar all throughout, but get heavier with the alert level of enemies. And I mean it obviously can’t be 100% flat dynamically and there would be room for other types of more traditional variation, but subtlety and restraint - that’s the name of the game. This is at least how I’m approaching it.

I’m now imagining an Aphex Twin scored Hitman game and I’m in love.

1 Like

I wonder if the soundtrack titles were conceived earlier on in development, since there seem to be a few title inconsistencies with the main game. Each level has a track sharing the title of the mission, apart from Berlin and Romania.

There is no track called “Apex Predator”
There is no track called “Untouchable”

Now, there is a track called “In Constant Motion”, which is a fun pun on ‘the Constant on a train!’, but nothing to relate easily to Berlin. So, I wonder if the tracks for those locations use pre-launch mission titles, before they were changed to what we have now. (Or, Niels just didn’t want to title those tracks after the mission itself, and that’s fine. It’s just bothering me with the inconsistency.)

The main menu theme was good but I was one of those people having connection issues for five days so listening to the same dreaded music over and over again… Let’s just say I disable the music when I play now. I have the old Hitman OsTs on a flash drive , so listening to Hong Kong themes etc in Chonquing is awesome

2 Likes

It’s like that in the 2016 Soundtrack as well. There’s a track called “Showstopper” and “Situs Inversus,” but the others I more have to guess how they line up. “What Lies Beneath” is the music from Sapienza, but I don’t recognize Marrakech, Bangkok, or Colorado in these tracks. Admittedly, I’ve played those levels less

Salem uploaded the Berlin OST. enjoy :slight_smile: (especially the Club Holle track)

11 Likes

Please share. Salem deserves more praise.

3 Likes

haha what do you mean :')

“Extra, extra! Tell your friends, tell your family, the NEW Berlin custom mix is out! Read all about it!”

2 Likes

good shit GOOD SHIT

20goodshits

2 Likes

Curious how people feel about the menu themes in the trilogy:
2016: https://youtu.be/D-sZtAL5r8s

2: https://youtu.be/8CLtskSjr20

3: https://youtu.be/o6ZY6kegi8c

Which had the best menu music?
  • Hitman 2016 “World of Assassination”
  • Hitman 2 “Agent and Handler”
  • Hitman 3 “Death Awaits”

0 voters

I think 3 is the outlier here in terms of its style and tone, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

1 Like