HITMAN 3 - Steam Release

24-hour peak of Steam Players:

• H3: 661
  • H3 Demo: 46
  • H2: 1,188

Player numbers still pretty poor, it makes no real sense to me that more people play H2 over H3 Demo, by doing so they’re missing bug fixes, ETs/ETA, FC and ETA unlocks, camera and now PZ contracts. It costs them nothing to switch over :confused:

All they’re getting by staying in H2 are some missing challenges, and the Halloween escalation *+ achievements. Oh and Sniper Co-op but who’s even touching that in 2022.

3 Likes

And I firmly believe that if someone really like this game, they will buy H3 at EGS in Year 1.Due to the provisions of IOI, EGS cannot be carried forward to steam. So most players still stay on EGS.And on steam, H3 FSP is called DEMO and cannot obtain achievement and trade cards.This is contrary to their original commitment: “players can enjoy their owned rights in H3”.Just in my opinion.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that the majority of the H2 players are “Steam holdouts” that have now evolved into “Steam Sale holdouts” and refuse to even redeem the demo because of their sense of increased level of entitlement to a H3 sale.

Player numbers are always going to be poor tbh. Most people just got it on EGS last year and the only people that are buying it on Steam are people that are double purchasing, the “Steam holdouts” and people that are entirely new to the game/franchise. Everyone else is seemingly just staying put on EGS.

2 Likes

Two ways to increase the number of players:
1.Change the DEMO to FSP.
2.Allow EGS players to carry forward purchased content and progress to steam.

The first method is the most simple and effective, and will not involve the rights and interests of Valve and EGS.

H3’s steam players counters are weird, none of the Epic exclusives on Steam were received like this. EGS aggressive pricing may have been a key role here. IO has managed to completely shut down the grey market on this release (I have never seen this personally), none of all non official key websites have the opportunity to provide keys with a discount. The ratio is quite impressive.

57%.

5%.

They locked up all the possibilities to attract both existing players and new players, no FSP, no carry from Epic, no day 1 sale, no grey market. And a game of this caliber with mixed reviews and very low players peaks will not comfort a new buyer of the quality of the game.

A good video on this.

6 Likes

I’ll say it again, there have been many Epic exclusives in the past that also had a great launches on Steam.

Speaking of Steam Sale Holdouts, didn’t Hitman 3 have a sale on Steam a few weeks after release? Why didn’t people rush to buy it then?

You were saying? (video by @Danger_dog_guy_7) And that’s a 2016 level. How could they mess up a level from 2016?!

When was the last time IO released a game update that also included bugfixes? :thinking:

Do you think people that never played a Hitman game, especially one from the WoA trilogy really care about those? Me as a fan that played all main Hitman games never cared about those :person_shrugging:

Another thing to take into consideration is that Hitman along with many stealth based games, is a niche series. It can get all the awards and be talked about for months but if players are not interested in the genre, the game will fall into obscurity and only be slightly popular because of Youtubers making silly videos.

A good example is DEATHLOOP. All those scores of 10 won’t save it at this point…

And let’s not forget that when people talk about Hitman 3, they also talk about the always online aspect of the game which really hurts it in the long run.

We might see the Steam numbers going up when the Freelancer mode gets released, unless IO mucks up that release also…

5 Likes

The point was moving to H3 Demo for free to play what they already own only gains them things and doesn’t really lose them anything. As trivial of a feature as the camera is (for example) it doesn’t come at the cost of anything

Not sure why you’re talking to me about this, I said:

And yes, those are the people who would’ve complained there was no way to replay ETs after years of H2’s life cycle, and if they moved over to H3 for free, they can!

And IO may be silly with their bugfixes introducing new bugs, but the fact remains the fix to the widely complained about “NPCs vomiting in bins instead of toilets” bug is in H3 and they could be having it for free right now, there’s probably a couple others but that’s the one that annoyed the crap out of me and some other people

Why should those 1000 people who still play H2 on Steam every day not move over to H3 demo for free? Could get to a point where more people play the demo than the actual game :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe they are put off by the fact that they can’t earn achievements in the H3 demo, dunno :man_shrugging:

Possibly, those people probably exist but from my viewpoint I can’t understand why someone would prefer a challenge tickbox over actual content.

Like the people who say ETs are meaningless if they don’t come with suit unlocks, so they won’t play them. I actually try to play content for the fun, not the unlocks :flushed: (Sometimes the content isn’t fun and in that case sure you’d like to at least get an unlock out of it, but I think plenty is fun, like The Fugitive, The Undying, The Warlord, The Politician, etc)

2 Likes

It can be summarized briefly. First and foremost, there is no doubt that most players are on EGS. Secondly, FSP is changed to demo. It was nothing, but there were many complications. For example, unable to complete steam achievements and obtain trade cards.

Although this has a great impact on the number of online people and the popularity of H3, I don’t think IOI will change back to FSP.
As everyone said, the two sales of H3 were disastrous.This is called"The dramatic conclusion to the World of Assassination trilogy" :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Even if someone sticks with H2 for challenges and achievements, I think they will move to H3 once they 100% H2 if they know the advantage.

I know I would.

1 Like

Out of ~100 of my steam friends (most if not all are hitman players), none of them have played Hitman 2 for more than 3 hours lately and only 10% have Hitman 3 on Steam. Maybe we underestimate the number of people who did not wait and bought the game on EGS early or when the standard edition was under $30 or switched to other platforms.

I know that most of my friends on steam are among the core community, therefore is not a good representation of the playerbase. But unlike the other first EGS exclusives, Hitman 3 was released much later when the EGS was a bit more established.

What IO really failed to do was to attract new players on Steam because of the launch issues (price, disappointing VR mode…etc).

I have a friend who has 1600 hours on Hitman 2 and is still playing for time to time on Steam. I asked him this morning, and he said he wasn’t interested because he was used to play with Hitman 2 launcher, he heard that hitman 3 is plagued with server issues and bugs (he only looks at the steam forums to get game status), and prefers to wait for a sale later.

2 Likes

I don’t know why. In my eyes, I think the page layout of H3 store is more ugly than H2.Even though IOI updated the store page not long ago.

EDIT:Sorry for the order.:sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

2 Likes

I can only speak for myself on why I don’t play H3 as much as H2 on Steam, and that’s because H3 constantly crashes on me. Usually right after I’ve completed a complex set of actions to set up some kill and then I make the mistake of going into cover or climbing over something or tossing a coin or picking up a crowbar or knocking someone out, and then game just fully shits itself. So there’s nothing that sucks the fun out of a game than the constant worry in the back of my mind, is this action going to make the game crash? Unlike all the other games I own, that I can play all day without a single issue, including H2, which has never once crashed on me even if I play it for 12 hours straight.

4 Likes

Yeah, on Xbox it’s the same: I never had a single crash with H1 or H2. But H3, I get at least one per play. Minimum. It crashes just scrolling through the menus sometimes.

Same as server disconnects; no problems with H1 or H2.

H3, terrible.

2 Likes

He can try Offline-Mod.Even if there is no online activity and upgrade, it will not drop the line.

Didn’t realise this was even a thing :S
Never happened to me on EGS or Steam before :flushed:

I can’t speak to EGS, as i only played a bit in the FSP over there, but the steam version is real crashy for me. I don’t know why. It’s quite frustrating.

I suspect you may have a corrupted dynamic_resources file. Try to delete this file maybe :

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Io Interactive\HITMAN3\TemporaryStorage\dynamic_resources_*.rpkg

Like Kevin_Rudd, no stability issue on my side too on both Epic and Steam.

Also, server connection issues seem to be random from player to player, some have server disconnections every 5-10 minutes on H3 (all is fine on H1/H2), and others have 0 issue on H3. And I know that network problems can lead to crashes.

1 Like

I don’t understand why,all the dlcs is on sale now except the 7DS on EGS.HITMAN 3 DLCs on EGS