HITMAN 3 - Steam Release

It’s unbelievable the utterly ridiculous way IO is handling this Steam launch.

First, despite having a big fanbase on Steam for the series, they decide to take the last game in the trilogy to another platform. There’s no point in discussing this further, it’s been a year already, and much was said already about this decision.

But, the company obviously was aware that a significant portion of their PC user base was waiting for the Steam launch, and naturally a launch discount was expected, considering by now it’s a year old game, and one that was discounted multiple times by at least 50%.

Instead of doing a small discount, say 10%-20%, which would surely make the Steam launch a bit more tolerable, pricing wise, and greatly reduce the negative reaction to the price, they went and released the game without any discount.

On top of that, unlike other platforms where the Hitman 3 free starter pack worked without problems, they decided to release it on Steam not as an app, but as a demo, which made owners of Hitman 1 and 2 unable to use their locations in it (a week later, at least some problems remain on that front).

And now, a week later, they are selling the game at 50% off on the EGS, and the way they decide to “fix” the negative reception on Steam is to offer some of the content for free, to make the price a bit more affordable.

They clearly forgot about one thing, though: what about people, like me, who bought the whole thing (Deluxe Edition + the Seven Deadly Sins DLCs) on Steam on launch day?
I get nothing extra, I can’t refund my purchase to take advantage of that 30€ savings (since I have over 2h played of the game), so essentially IO ended up penalizing the people who actually “supported them” the most for this Steam launch by buying all available content.

Heck, a week later, and I still don’t have the soundtrack and book on my IOI account, and IO doesn’t acknowledge the problem on their social channels, nor have replied to me about this (not even on their customer support website).

A disappointing mess all around.

17 Likes

Well that really sucks. I wonder why they didn’t use that feature, when their previous games bundled it in that way, and plenty others do it too… I don’t think I’ve ever seen many games restrict things to single-price bundles like that

2 Likes

Well, more likely “it wasn’t received as planned” than “it didn’t go as planned”, but props to them for doing something to compensate unsatisfied players.

I don’t have a horse in this race because I’m satisfied that I pre-ordered on Epic and don’t care about the Steam launch. But on a general observation, IOI should improve their launches because there’s always controversies that contrasts with such a great game that they’re offering.

This is a sketchy solution that already has some folks asking “whaddabout who bought everything” or “whaddabout epic players”, but ultimately signals they’re working on this question to get it right.

4 Likes

According to the current situation, IOI had better not discount H3 in the steam lunar calendar discount, otherwise it will cause great dissatisfaction of EGS users.

They can’t cause of Steam’s rules.

2 Likes

Thanks IOI so much for the “free” DLC, only makes the game almost 30€ more expensive than the Epic version. Very generous.

11 Likes

Looks like IO devs are having a stroke with Steam players, too bad :confused:

it is still a discount…

if you factor that the standard edition costs 80 CAD, and the deluxe edition costs 120 CAD, you still save 40 bucks.

1 - (80/120) = 0.33

that’s a 33% discount. not as good as epic’s 50%, but it’s something.

you also get the trinity pack for free, which is something i actually care about. i want the blackballer

i may reluctantly get the game now. as for IOI’s garbage servers, i’ll just install peacock and forget about it.

1 Like

I play the game since a year, why should I or other EGS users be mad?

6 Likes

You’ve had the ability to play the game for a year.

Multiple sales to buy into the game early, and it’s DLC, too.
Pretty sure it just had a sale as well.

I do think IOI waited a bit too long on offering this “deal”. I’m sure some players who expected nothing after the negative response bought into Deluxe and 7DS… though I have a feeling that might be a small amount of people, considering how expensive that one purchase would be.

Also, I just learned that the Trilogy Bundle only includes base versions even for Hitman 2016!

This whole time I’m pretty sure the only access pass available was for the GOTY version, but now, Trilogy Buyers are still gonna have to pay 10-15 bucks on top of that for the GOTY content of Season 1, previously included as the default option!
Such a silly decision!

5 Likes

The situation is even more weird… If I don’t say anything wrong, at the moment it is possible to get the Deluxe Edition + 7DS for $52.98 with the Lunar promotion + Epic’s coupon ?

And they initially wanted to charge Steam player for $119 when they knew they were going to be involved in Lunar sales on EGS :frowning:

3 Likes

That’s correct, but I didn’t include the coupon in my comparison since that’s technically a coupon Epic themselves is paying for and not really something under dev’s control. It is a ridiculous situation, regardless.

1 Like

IOI wants to sell its game, nothing wrong about that. Unfortunately, they are doing it in the wrong way.

I can’t understand theyr decision about such expensive prices and the confusing situation with bundles and expansion pass.

Seriously, a bundle with the whole trilogy is priced at 100€, and it’s still somewhat incomplete about its content?

6 Likes

yeah, it’s pretty bad. Especially egregious that it doesn’t come with the Gold levels of Hitman 2 too. That’s not even a side thing like the Patient Zero campaign, it literally continues the HITMAN 2 story and bridges it into the third game, which makes its absense from a “trilogy” pack especially egregious.

11 Likes

for those complaining about the hitman trilogy’s outrageous pricing,

on humble, you can get HITMAN GOTY for 15 CAD and HITMAN 2 Gold Edition for 31 CAD

very good bargain. even cheaper than the access passes

2 Likes

So, players must buy the H2 expansion pass for playing the Bank and the Resort?!? And I Guess PZ it’s not included? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What they are thinking? You can basically almost buy a new console or a new pc with those prices.

I’m in exactly the same situation. @Travis_IOI / @Clemens_IOI - it feels a little cheeky asking since IOI is offering a goodwill gesture, but is there anything that players like @Subject17 and I can do so that we’re not excluded from this [very welcome] gesture because we were too ‘loyal’ too soon with our wallets on Steam?

3 Likes

maybe try asking for a refund from steam, and then buying it again so you get the DLCs you want

1 Like

I’m still waiting to see if the regional price is properly adjusted to reality lol HITMAN 2 had a logical price, I preordered it the same day preorders opened.
I know sometimes regional prices are messed up during launch, in LatAm happens with Asian games sometimes but they’re adjusted quickly.

2 Likes

I don’t think they will reduced the regional price. They raised the Epic Game price to match the new absurd price on Steam, so the weird regional price is not a mistake. If they made some mistakes on Steam launch pricing, then EGS price should stay the same

4 Likes