HITMAN 3 - Steam Release

One thing I’m looking forward to hearing details of is how Steam H2 progress/unlocks etc will be imported into Steam H3 for players like me who never ported that Steam H2 progress into EGS H3.

I wonder whether it will work similarly to 2021’s PC progress importing where it’s done via your IOI account in a web browser, or whether it’s an experience more like H3 progress transfer on consoles last year where it just happens automatically because you’ll have H2 and H3 both on the same Steam account?

Tagging in @Travis_IOI and @Clemens_IOI to see this post, and no immediate rush to respond seeing as the Steam version won’t be available until 20th January anyway, but would be grateful if IOI could please confirm how this will work by the 20th January so that players like me going from Steam H2 to Steam H3 know what we need to do on launch day. Thanks chaps!

2 Likes

AFAIK, it was the opposite of what you described. At least for me on PS4. I had to do the whole website transfer too.
Though yeah, with how Steam works it can probably do it automatically, I’m pretty sure that’s how it granted your account the free Legacy Pack in Hitman 2, just by checking it. On consoles you had to redeem it through the 2016 in-game store.

Ah right you are - spot the non-console player in the room, haha! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

EDIT - also, to clarify @TheChicken , I’m specifically talking about Progress Transfer (porting completed H2 challenges and unlocks etc into H3), rather than Owned Content transfer (granting H1/H2 Access Pack DLCs to HITMAN 3 launcher).

1 Like

Right. I think everyone had to do that, from console to PC Epic Games.

We don’t know how it’ll work for Steam, but I bet it might use the same website.

1 Like

Ah right you are - spot the Stadia player in the room! :rofl: (Maybe the one single platform where H2 >> H3 progress transfer was completely automatic and required no action at all from the player! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

1 Like

That is exactly my thought aswell, I’m sitting on that safe and the items with it since a year now. I’m glad we get the trinity pack tho, would be pretty annoying to have one Hitman 3 save without the Hitman 2 items but the trinity pack, and one with the Hitman 2 items, but without the trinity pack.

1 Like

I’m confused, I don’t think Stadia ever had Hitman 2 ? I believe it basically had it’s own version of HITMAN 3 Starter pack, the interesting thing being that it got that before the actual release of H3

Well, I’m not quite sure of the technical fine details involved, but Stadia had full H1 and H2 games available to buy on the platform months before the launch of H3 - I had a code for H2 Gold Edition (actually very kindly supplied by Travis, after winning one of his “we’ll give a code to the first person to answer this question” posts on HMF), and I bought H1 as its own game package (rather than a H2 Legacy Pack) on Stadia.

The home screen menu (for H2 at least, as I got that before buying H1 on Stadia) looked the same as it did on PC H2 (i.e. like this) and didn’t feature any H3 menus/title screens/music or mechanics (no fast agility climbing; Electrocution Phone still existed etc) until the 21st Jan 2021 update which switched the Stadia launcher and game to the familiar H3 look and features.

The progression guide got updated

“For the sake of clarity, please note that it is not possible to move progression from HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Steam)”.

This feels like a massive middle finger to me and any other dedicated players who couldn’t wait a year.

7 Likes

while it sucks, they did add the following

• The ONLY exception that allows players to perform the carryover process more than once, is for players who choose to carryover progression from HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic), including those who have already done so. These players will be able to perform an additional carryover from HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Steam). For the sake of clarity, please note that it is not possible to move progression from HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Steam).

So, not ideal, but certainly better than losing everything I guess

12 Likes

Makes sense, otherwise it would be a :fu: to Epic :joy:

Go all on Steam, here are free CD keys and your progress

3 Likes

As I expected was gonna be. Steam is a platform, Epic is another.

EDIT: Btw it doesn’t change much to me. If you think you’ll get again everything, unlocks speaking. You have just to replay everything of HITMAN 3…

2 Likes

To be fair they could just give us progression without giving us the levels for free. Though I don’t see what the issue would be if it did, as it happened before in the Epic store ( Rogue Company allow you to keep all your purchases and progression when moving to Steam, and Driftlands(paid game) gave a Steam key to every Epic purchaser when it came out on Steam.

Ah well, in the end my biggest worry was losing the unique Hitman 2 unlocks so I’m not too mad about it,even if it’s not ideal.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree. Better than nothing. Thanks for the examples in your post.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity then, for anyone that was waiting for the game to be release through Steam, does that change your mind about buying either a copy finally or buying a second copy? Does the fact that you have to start over make a difference for you?

I’m glad that they’ll allow people with Steam H2 progress who ported to EGS H3 to re-port their Steam H2 progress to Steam H3 if they’re buying the game again. It’s not the absolutely ideal solution for you guys, but at least you can earn everything again in H3 without losing your unique H2 unlocks like the Aluminium Travel Briefcase and the ET Coins etc.

This effectively means that EGS H3 players who ported over their Steam H2 progress are in the same situation as me (Steam H2 profile not ported anywhere; but I have a bunch of H3 progress in Stadia) - we’ll have to re-do the H3 progress, but at least it can all still be done.

I, for one, am really looking forward to starting with a clean slate in H3 and eventually 100%-ing the Trilogy on Steam, which will be my ‘forever’ WoA platform.

3 Likes

And that is why I never did a carryover.
Nothing to lose for me.
Just a few more hours of grinding H3 things again

2 Likes

I posted above. You can do a second carryover now.

@schatenjager i mean people who hadn’t bought a copy yet are able to carryover their H2 progress, they don’t need to start over again.

I will just stick to Steam. No between-stores carryovers :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve played H3 though, haven’t you? So whether you did or didn’t port (we both didn’t) your Steam H2 progress to H3, if you have played H3 on EGS or any other platform then you’ll lose that H3 progress… but at least all H3 progress can be re-done at some point.

I like the way they’re giving EGS H3 players a way back to Steam H3, this time last year I was thinking that if you played H3 on EGS you’d be ‘stuck’ there for good.