HITMAN VR (Discussion)

Ian Higton’s review :

4 Likes

I generally like Ian’s reviews, but this one leaves me lacking. He starts by saying that the PCVR experience is disappointing but then goes on to praise almost everything about it, and then still says it’s disappointing. His ultimate conclusion is that the problem isn’t the actual PCVR mode at all, it’s his own expectation for it that is the problem. To me, that isn’t a very valid review.

It’s unfortunately not off-par from where a lot of today’s “reviews” end up… “This isn’t exactly what I thought it was going to be before I played it, therefore it’s trash”.

1 Like

Well I’m having hard times in VR mode.

NPC’s that see me behind a wall, bodyguards that can see crimes at 2 KM of distance… to much realistic sometimes… or Dalia that say fuck off if I DARE to go near the champagne glass… I had issues also on HITMAN 3 levels, more or less the same. Scripts and dialogues just cut if you move more than you should be.

Still fun yes, but good luck if you want to do only Silent Assassin rating in VR. Hope IOI can improve it much as they can.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1484367659693002752

:rofl:

6 Likes

oh my god that was funny

1 Like

Hooray, an article that praises the goofy VR!

I do hope they still iron our a couple of kinks I’ve seen from VR footage so far – notably the “choke NPC into the heavens” bug
Also I wish IOI could allow ambidextrous play. From what I’ve heard, guns can only be held in the right hand, and briefcases in the left? Or something like that.

8 Likes

to add to this you can’t pick up any items with your left hand. Not even briefcases.

4 Likes

Yikes. So it really is a simple PSVR port. What does the left hand even do anyway?

2 Likes

emery-wank

10 Likes

i used it to virtually act out a bumbling 47 that tries to be really chummy with the guards by laying his left hand on their shoulder while talking to em and you get double the punch powers in combat

3 Likes

Punch, run, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh instinct? Oh and inventory

2 Likes

But there isn’t instinct in VR, isn’t there?

Aw. that’s a bit disappointing then. Makes getting the single-controller PSVR version not seem that much of a loss, for now at least(? hopefully)

1 Like

There is, but it doesn’t have the filter. It just shows the white dots and a target icon.

5 Likes

I have to admit, I really like the VR mode. With the one small restriction that I find it unplayable :grin:

So, choking people, hitting them into unconciousness with one hit, throwing things and shooting are all “unsafe” actions - sometimes my fist has to hit someone’s head three or four times, throwing is very badly solved because you cannot really do a throwing movement but must only so tightly flick your hand etc.
In short: I cannot advise anyone to really “play” the game as intended in VR. It just does not work, those little glitches and the overall jankyness ruin Hitman gameplay, they make the difference between Silent Assassin and 30 guards opening fire because you needed two punches…

…BUT :peach:!

I love it. I really love it, for three reasons. :heart:

(1) Classic VR - the experience, “be” in the game.
Hitman is all about exploration, it has few levels but each one is gorgeous. Finally walking through them in 3D first person is awesome. So many Details I never noticed (the ceiling of the Black Gold Bar? WTF?!), also you get a sense for the scale of everything. Beautiful. My kind of vaccation!

(2) Chaos is great.
Hitman VR is basically Postal VR. Those who played P2 or P4 know what I mean: A realistic sandbox with at least some kind of butterfly effect AI. A simulated real world, not just enemies, not just a shooting gallery - but a simulation of real-world locations you can play within. Slap people’s butts, try to place rubber ducks on bodyguards’s heads and in the inevitable finally john wick your way out. Really great fun!

(3) I am now a better listener.
I knew that there are many, many, many dialogues in the game, but while I have heard some of them a million times - LOOK DANIEL! - many others never reached me for being either “out of place” like the security guy and the woman left to the Paris starting point or being just one of many in a big place where I did not listen to each and every conversation.
But now that I just go for a walk in Sappienza, enjoy the weather in Whittleton Creek or escalate in Berlin, I stay a while and listen and I hear so much more.

→ VR is in its current state basically unplayable if you want the full Hitman experience, but for me personally it is worth the price. I’m still mad at the whole year of nothing but escalations, but after a week and now with the “free” Deluxe edition I bought the game again on Steam and it was worth it’s price for the VR alone. A ticket in to the world of Hitman, an update that takes the flat video game and morphs it into a vaccation world tour, allowing you to finally visit all the beautiful places you know from Hitman “in person” and play around in them.

:heart:

Best thing that happened to Hitman since the Dartmoor Garden Show or even the release. Does not make the 7DS or Arcade better, but at least it is finally a worthwhile addition!

19 Likes

Are VR player’s times added to the same leaderboard as regular players on Xbox, PS & PC!?

If so, that’s #1 bullshit! :poop:

Can’t you openly lethal syringe targets in VR?

1 Like

They’re added, but I’m pretty sure the VR times have a special “VR” icon attached to the scoreboard. So you’ll know who’s the fastest VR player vs. the fastest Normal player.

2 Likes

Writing on Games analysed the… er… Writing? (no, hehe not at all) of the Hitman VR mode.

Pretty nice video on what the general frustrations and issues are of this more limited Dual-controller VR experience. :pensive:

I like that he puts a positive spin on it though. It’s a nice adaptation for the limited systems of Hitman, but it could also be so much more.

man, the game itself is pretty darn great. my favourite of the trilogy. It’s annoying that there’s been so much confusion among the playerbase and strange decisions in each launch version.

6 Likes

I watched your video and agree with his points of frustration.

I’m on the side of those who enjoy the VR for its good parts. I’ve been playing Hitman in VR for the majority of the last 7 months, and have learned to love it.

It has its issues and difficulty curve, (it took me a few months to get good at gunfights and SA), but it just serves as a great bonus alternate experience.

And that’s all it should be considered, a great bonus experience (at no additional cost mind you).

3 Likes

This is another pretty nice video about H3 VR:

4 Likes

I always said that in order for a VR game to be good, it needs to be built from the grounds up specifically for VR. Hitman VR is just a nice distractions for those with a VR headset and nothing more. I can’t imagine anyone playing Hitman 3 only in VR or not playing it just for some laughs.

Maybe we’ll see something like this in Hitman VR 2 eh :grin:

1 Like