How did you first discover the Hitman series?

I just recently got into Hitman. I had never played nor watched videos on the games before. I was very happy with my experience. A little back I was finding myself with lots of free time but constantly being bored. So I decided to go on steam and try to find a new game and saw Hitman 3 was on sale and bought it. I think the main reason for buying Hitman 3 was I wanted to try something new. I never played much in stealth or assassination type games because I assumed it wasn’t my kind of thing. I’m really glad I bought it though. I loved the entire experience. From the gameplay, story, graphics, evironment, etc. So now I’m wondering. How did you all first get introduced to Hitman? A friend? A YouTube video?

6 Likes

Nah, i saw Codename 47 back when it was released at my friend’s house, his older brother let me play it and i was hooked.

11 Likes

I played the first few games when they were released but then forgot all about the series after Contracts (I think it was Contracts). I sort of fell out of games for a while and I never realized that Absolution and Hitman (2016) even released until I was watching some OutsideXbox playthroughs. I bought Hitman 2 just about the time that the Undying Returns (or whatever the second go-around of the Sean Bean one was called) was released.

I played the entirety of Hitman (2016) in Hitman 2 and then Hitman 3.

5 Likes

Already posted this in another thread, but here we go again.

Like virtually all entertaining things that I come to love, my introduction to Hitman began with something that had nothing to do with it. I’d seen some of the advertisements on tv of course, particularly around the time Contracts and Blood Money came out. All I knew was that they had one mean-looking bald dude in a suit who had a wire in his hands, clearly meant to strangle someone. That was the extent of it.

But, as the bard tells us, “For want of a nail, the kingdom was lost.” What happened was, at the beginning of summer 2007, I went to see Live Free or Die Hard with my wife/then-girlfriend. I became particularly fascinated by the use of pistols with attached silencers in the film, and wanted to play a game that had them. And that led me to getting a game I’d heard about and seen in commercials on tv for years: Splinter Cell. I started playing it for a few weeks, but couldn’t get past the first few levels. It was too boring for what was my tastes at the time. I wanted to be killing my enemies with my silenced pistol, not distracting them and sneaking past them. So I looked for alternatives.

I came upon the Wikipedia page for Hitman: Blood Money and learned about the genetically-enhanced cloned contract killer, Agent 47, and his perfect track record of untraceable kills and unfortunate accidents, and was immediately hooked. I ditched Splinter Cell altogether and bought Blood Money, played the first mission where I became acquainted with Diana’s dialogue and 47’s to-the-point style, and have never looked back.

6 Likes

When I was in middle school I watched a Dunkey video on Hitman:Absolution. It’s not on his channel anymore now because I think he probably thought the title was offensive. I used to like watching kill everyone challenges too. I play the game as it was intended to be played though, of course.

4 Likes

I’d heard about the earlier games but for never actually picked them up. It was one of those “oh that sounds interesting” moments, but then I’d just completely forget about it before acting on that curiosity. It wasn’t until Absolution was about a month from release that I heard about it and decided that I would pre-order it and finally see what all the fuss was about.

Very quickly I hated Absolution. It took me over a month to finish it because I’d get to a point of utter frustration that I would shut it off and not go back to it for a week or so. I read comments online at the time the older games were so much better, so a few months later when they announced the HD Trilogy release - I preordered that to see what a ‘real’ Hitman game was. But for some reason I never touched it and just landed in the backlog of games.

It wasn’t until about two and a half years later when I was about 5-6 months deep into a period of unemployment and had slowly been going through my gaming backlog to fill in the days that I eventually played the HD Trilogy. I was instantly hooked. Then just as I was finishing up playing the trilogy, it was June 2015 and the next game in the series was announced…

4 Likes

I saw gameplay of H2:SA and Contracts in some locals that rented consoles but never interested me until I saw Blood Money promos in videogames magazines back in 2004-2005.

Still, it wasn’t until ends of 2015 and the March 2016 release of HITMAN that I actually started to play the games. Bought BM and a bundle of H2:SA and Contracts for the Playstation 2 after expending the year watching Centerstrain01 on YT play all of them. Recently I bought and played Absolution too, wich ironically was the first walkthrough of Centerstain I watched at full.

6 Likes

While I knew about Hitman before 2006, my first gameplay introduction was early 2006 with the Blood Money demo on Xbox Live. I was still big into Splinter Cell at the time , so I was lukewarm on it and did not pursue it further. I followed the coverage of Absolution, but due to life and other games, did not act on it.

I followed the coverage again for Hitman (2016). By this time, I was more than curious, especially as I was missing the stealth aspect from earlier Splinter Cell games. However, it wasn’t until Dec 2017 when the Xbox store had the free starter pack with the Paris mission that I downloaded the game. Playing the game over the Xmas holidays sucked me in, and I would purchase the steel book Complete Edition in January.

The only aspect of the game I didn’t really peruse was the Featured Contracts (an error on my part), as I was more focused on completing challenges and Elusive Targets. This would be corrected with Hitman 2, where I completed everything.

4 Likes

WatchMojo video about video game boat levels when I was 12 or so. Death on the Mississippi level was featured.

4 Likes

I rolled a dice between 3 games on sale (all of which I’ve had my eye on for ages) and Hitman 2016 was picked, i went in not liking it and gave up, about 4 months later i thought i was being too harsh and fell in love with it

5 Likes

I saw a friend play Blood Money and thought the focus on disguises was interesting. Then I saw him play Miami and Santa Fortuna a few months later, running around as Flamingo and Taita and immediately thought “ok I need to play this”.

4 Likes

Ah, back when the marketing for Hitman was cool and stylish and you didn’t needed a fuckin excel spreadsheet to guess which version gives you acess to what parts of the game.

I miss Eidos.

4 Likes

My first exposure to Hitman was seeing ads in gaming magazines for the original game. And I remember being disappointed because it was PC only. :joy:

Years later I found a used copy of Blood Money for PS2 at Gamestop. That was my first experience actually playing a Hitman game.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed about that to this day.

4 Likes

A classmate of mine gave me a CD filled with cough not so legally owned games and one of 'em was Hitman 2: SA. Barely knew how to play it properly, but I liked it. This was around 2004-2005 :older_man:

5 Likes

Hey, that’s the same way I got Windows 95! Someone in college had a CD with the OS and a whole bunch of extra stuff on it - games, utilities, you name it. I think about 25 or 30 people in school that year all got a copy.

6 Likes

I remember hearing about the franchise here and there years, but didn’t really care about the series at that point. I also recall playing the free WoA tutorial at some point, but back then I didn’t get particularly hooked on what was there.
The point I’ve got into it was when Hitman 2016 was being given away for free on the Epic Games Store and I decided to give it another shot, which shortly after led to me buying H2 Gold with H1 GOTY access pass during next Steam sale.

4 Likes

Year 2002 I guess, it was around december. I went to my friends house, he had bought new computer - windows 98 with 128 MB RAM and Hitman Codename 47 game disc. After installlation, it was a unique game. And I used to visit his house and he let me play. It was my second PC game experience after Project IGI.
And Hitman inspired me to play all its series as well as other PC games mostly third person shooter. Before that I was into 8 bit games.

At that time there was not much of internet to see the reviews/information/ads, but Hitman game was the most popular in our friends circle / area by word of mouth.

4 Likes

Well, firstly i was watching a croatian youtuber called “HCL.HR” and i saw him play couple of hitman games, time passed and i was searching for games well snd k found hitman 2 so i went to buy it, and years pass and i have WOA games, i’m planning to buy the older games and well thats it. I really love hitman and it’s
my favourite game of all time.

3 Likes

Hitman 2016 was free on PS+ back in 2019… Well, what can I say it became an addiction

5 Likes