How to configurate Classic Hitman games on Win10

hi, i also cant seem to limit the fps for contracts, it always is 500+ fps and too fast XD

This should work :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to put this in the folder where the .exe is located: d3d8to9. It is incompatible with the widescreen patch. I don’t have the Steam version, but it natively supports widescreen, so it may retain the widescreen feature, but for the retail version and the GOG version it’s either your game runs in widescreen or it runs off of the Nvidia card.

2 Likes

Yeah I bumped into this fix back in January, but as you say, it’s not compatible with the widescreen patch, replacing its file… Shit… Was hoping there’s a compatible version of it. I’ve got the Steam versions of the games as well, so I’ll give it a go next week when I (hopefully) finally have internet in my new place.

1 Like

Somebody in the community could write a new widescreen fix. Or maybe contact ThirteenAG. He made Widescreen Fixes for GTA, Splinter Cell, Silent Hill and tons of other games. And he includes the option in his fixes to use d3d8to9. Of course that’s kind of a stretch but maybe. On the other hand, how many people are there really that have the same issue we’re having? Probably not that many.

2 Likes

Contacting ThirteenAG actually crossed my mind… He would probably know of a way to make it work. Might give it go, even if there’s just a handful of us…

Edit: Though the Hitman fixes were made by nemesis2000, so I wonder if he could implement it…

1 Like

What you can do to make that work is get rid of the d3d8.dll that came with widescreen fix and instead use ultimate asi loader. Rename h3w.dll to h3w.asi. And if you want, you can use d3d8to9 that comes with ultimate asi loader. Create a global.ini in a folder called scripts and put the following in it:

[GlobalSets]
LoadPlugins=1
LoadFromScriptsOnly=1
DontLoadFromDllMain=1
FindModule=0
UseD3D8to9=1
DisableCrashDumps=0
Direct3D8DisableMaximizedWindowedModeShim=0

3 Likes

You also need to put h3w.asi and h3.ini in the scripts folder. Thanks a lot, @ZT1 !!
@Rimland, it works!

2 Likes

Awesome! :+1: I’m still internet-less, so it will take me until the weekend or next week to try it out, but this is great news. So the Nvidia issue gets fixed plus it’s possible to use the widescreen fix?

Also, @ZT1 , is this fix applicable for C47 and H2SA as well? Cause I have the same issue with those games as well…

1 Like

Yes, the graphics card picks the game up and the widescreen fix works.
It definitely would work for both H2 and HC47 because those use the widescreen fixes from the same creator.
EDIT: H2SA works, but the game itself is more prone to crashing

2 Likes

I don’t know if was already asked but:

On “Codename 47” with a widescreen mod, it’s possibile to have a good HUD? Because the HUD and subtitles are very tiny on a 1080p resolution (4K probably goes totally worse), which are barely readable. Would be perfect if both where a little bit more big. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

@Joe9411 this was earlier in this thread.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the info:)

2 Likes

Ok, I wanna try the Contracts fix today, so just to sum up if I got this right:

• apply widescreen fix, but delete the d3d8.dll file that comes with it
  • replace that with the Ultimate ASI loader’s dinput8.dll file (without renaming it?)
  • create a Scripts folder (in the game’s folder)
  • in the scripts folder, create a global.ini with the specified lines
  • rename h3w.dll to h3w.asi and move it - along with h3.ini - to the scripts folder

Also, stupid question, how exactly do I create the (global).ini file? I think I only did such thing once and maybe incorrectly back then…

Also, regarding H2SA crashing, I remember there being a factor of whether you set it to render in OpenGL or… D3D was the other one? Maybe try switching that, see if it makes a difference?

1 Like

Rename it to d3d8.dll, otherwise won’t work.

To create global.ini, you can just create a text document (.txt), then paste the needed lines in it, save it, and change its name to global.ini. There will be a prompt, because you’re changing the file extension, just click yes.

H2 crashed on me a lot because i was trying to enable the antialiasing in the game, because unlike Contracts, it has AA in the options. But it seems to break the game and crash it a lot, so I just forced AA through the Nvidia Inspector.

2 Likes

I had to change it via the “save as” option, otherwise it wouldn´t register the file extension and remain treated as a .txt file, but it indeed works! The damn thing now runs on the Nvidia, and uses the widescreen fix, hallelujah!

The only thing not working is AA, so I´ll have to double-check whether I overlooked or messed up something there…

And does it run ok afterwards?

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

Ok, so the AA (and other) Nvidia Profile Inspector settings for Contracts got reverted to global for some reason (probably cause I recently changed some global settings in the NV control panel?), but after changing them per instructions, the game now FINALLY looks (and plays) the way it´s supposed to :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Now just to get C47, SA, and BM (and Freedom Fighters) up and running.

Btw, @EvilGeniusRo , why is Anisotropic Filtering supposed to be turned/forced off in the Nvidia profile inspector for Contracts and H2SA?

1 Like

Because both games already have a working Anisotropic Filtering option in-game. If you enable it both in-game and in the Nvidia inspector, it might crash the game, graphics driver or the PC :stuck_out_tongue:
Same goes for the Antialiasing, H2SA (and HC47) has the option in-game but it doesn’t work and it’s missing from the options list in Contracts so there in no conflict with the Nvidia inspector when it comes to that :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy to hear you’re able to play the game! If you managed to get Contracts to work then you’ll be able to get the other ones too :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, I see… Reason I´m asking is cause I recently watched a video with some recommendations on Nvidia Control Panel settings to improve game performance/visuals, and one of them was setting global AF to 16x. Though the video warned that it may cause conflicts/crashes with games that have AF setting options, and thus recommended turning those off in game. However, a lot of my games don´t allow for turning it off (minimum option being 1x-2x), so I guess I´ll just turn back the global setting to application-determined, just so I don´t have to meddle with individual game settings in the control panel… :thinking:

Oh man, am I glad that this got finally resolved (especially in a way that didn´t require meddling with the GPUs)! Now to just get the other ones up and running and I can finally do a mega-playthrough of the whole series :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Massive thanks once again to @ZT1 for providing the fix, and @vrubayka for testing it and providing the extra necessary steps :+1: Might be worth updating the manual with it in case there are some other unfortunate sods like us in the future?

3 Likes