How to configurate Classic Hitman games on Win10

On a side note, the global.ini file also solves the same issue (not registering Nvidia GPU) for Hidden and Dangerous 2, though it shows an incorrect VRAM (128 MB) in the settings panel… (but works flawlessly)

Ok, a little update on my side, since I´m not entirely out of the loop yet…

Firstly, I managed to get H2SA working using the same ASI loader procedure as Contracts (using the standard. non-enb version of the widescreen fix, which I assume was the correct one). The game crashes when starting/loading a mission if I go into the ingame graphics settings before that (which I wanted to check to see if they match your screenshot @EvilGeniusRo ). Upon crash, I get the following errors:

However, if I don´t go into the (graphics) settings, then the game seems to work just fine, running on Nvidia with widescreen and AA and everything. So that should be settled.

Secondly, Blood Money works fine on its own (no GPU issues there) and has high resolution options, but if I apply the widescreen fix, it crashes upon start during the Nvidia logo loading, with no error/crash report. Applying the same ASI loader method fix as for SA and Contracts fixed this, with the widescreen fix properly functioning and the game runs just dandy, but I´m wondering whether there was/is another method to make the fix work here without the ASI loader…

On a side note for SA and BM - and this is based purely on a few minutes of test gameplay - occassionally some sound effects (pigeon wings in SA, light rig crash in BM) sound… weird? And gunshots in BM a tad bit muted? I don´t know if it has something to do with EAX or my sound (card) settings, or if it´s just bad memory and it always sounded like that tbh :sweat_smile: (especially after years of playing WoA lol)

Third and most importantly, the only game I haven´t been able to get running properly yet is C47. When I apply the ASI loader fix (renaming the .dll file to ddraw.dll, just as in the widescreen fix), the game fails to boot entirely. If I rename the ddraw.dll file to something else (dinput8 or d3d8), it crashes with the following report:

@vrubayka Have you by any chance tried running C47? Could you have a look at it if/when you have the time?
@ZT1 Is there anything I need to change for this particular game, like something in the global.ini file?

(Also, @EvilGeniusRo , in the graphics settings, I have the “full-scene antialiasing” option greyed out unlike you, but I assume that´s because of the GPU thing)

On a side note, I can´t seem to cap the framerate using profile inspector for either of the first three games (haven´t tried for BM). Every time I do so and click “apply changes”, I get some kind of error regarding an “untreated exception”, or something along those lines (not sure how exactly to translate this). I haven´t experienced any framerate issues with either of the games so far, so I probably won´t be needing the cap, but am still curious what the issue is (and how to solve it, or should I just try capping it using Rivatuner). My FPS limit optios are a bit different than what you have in the screenshot, so not sure if I need to click anything additional?

1 Like

With C47 I never bothered much, just dropped the widescreen fix in the folder. The game is not too demanding so it was ok that it ran off of the intel card. But one thing I know is that glide games often run just fine with Nvidia, so try using the setup-program in the C47 folder to use the Glide renderer. Then you lose the widescreen unfortunately, but IMO game looks better in glide mode.

Also im pretty sure that ASI loader forces vsync which should cap the games at 60fps. You sure they’re running above that?

Now that I think of it, I probably know what the issue is. ASI loader has d3d8to9 integrated into it. That’s why Hitman 2 and 3 run fine, they are DirectX8 games that are being forced to run in DirectX9 mode. But C47 is a DirectX7 game.

2 Likes

Could be. I am not sure about this. Try switching between Direct3D and OpenGL.

Use Rivatuner Statistics Server to cap the framerate if it doesn’t work with the Nvidia inspector. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately for me it´s laggy and janky as fuck on the Intel card (unless I decrease the draw distance way below default, and even then it doesn´t run smooth), not to mention the lack of AA.

Tried both Glide and OpenGL, and while it runs fine and smooth on those, it is restricted to a max 1024x768 resolution or so. On higher it either doesn´t work (OpenGL) or fucks up the interface of the game (Glide).

Nah, like I said, no issues, it looks like they´re running within it. But was just curious why the profiler is giving me that error…

So question is, what´s the fix for that? :frowning: Perhaps some method utilizing dgVoodoo?

No change there. Will probably be because of Intel.

1 Like

Not sure how one would fix this. There are DirectX7 wrappers out there, but I don’t know how one would make them work together with the fix. Like I said, I enjoy playing the glide version, I also have it running at 1024x768 and either with the antialiasing in Nvidia inspector or in dgVoodoo2 it looks even better.

Try the first widescreen solution listed here

Gave this one a go. The game runs on Nvidia with AA and certainly looks sharp (with the exception of the HUD), but the FOV and characters (and HUD - which is arguably worse) are the same as with a 1024x768 resolution (despite having set 1920x1080 in dgVoodoo), so I´m not sure I got this working entirely correctly…

1 Like

Hi, this widescreen solution doesn’t work correctly, in any case you need a certain version of dgVoodoo2 and in this case you get the correct aspect ratio but there are graphic glitches on the left and right side of the screen and the text is corrupt, almost illegible. I hope that one day the creator of the Widescreen fix (nemesis2000) will release a version compatible with the OpenGL render

I used this Peixoto widescreen, which seems hook some “fixes” onto the exe game.

I tested this Peixoto patch on Hitman: Codename 47. If you know, when you use higher resolutions, HUD and subtitles becomes more small. It’s something that I don’t like but unfortunately it seems we can’t do to much (unless someone knows how to modify the UI).

I mixed Peixoto and Nemesis Widescreen in order to get 4K resolution (at least it seems for me) and a bigger HUD. Unfortunately, as far I understood, with MSAA and Antialias forced by Peixoto patch makes a little bit worse the HUD quality.

Right now i’m interested only to get big HUD at 4K resolution. Of course H2SA (and maybe contracts) have this “issue” too.

I haven’t tried Peixoto, the problems I have with the Nemesis Widescreen fix are that it only works in Directx7, so it is problematic to limit the fps to 60 and I cannot force anti-aliasing as it makes the text unreadable (only FXAA doesn’t cause problems), for this I hope that in the future a version for OpenGL will be released (as it solves all the problems described). As for the size of the HUD, in my case I play in FullHD on a 27 " screen so the text is small but readable, but it would be nice if there was a solution for this too

As I said Peixoto seems hooks fixes on the exe game everytime you start the game, but this works only if you start the game from peixoto launcher. It also have a lot of options like Vsync, frame limit and all that stuff to make it work better on modern system.

Btw when you start the game from Peixoto, the patch hooks the fix DX7 to 9.

Yes, but I would prefer something less “intrusive” than Peixoto. It would be great if Hitman got the same treatment as games like Mafia 1, Splinter Cell 1-2, GTA 3, etc.

I found the solution for Hitman Codename 47: Widescreen Fix + dgVoodoo2 which hooks DX7 into your system’s DX and you can configure anti-aliasing and vsync in the dgVoodoo Control Panel.

1. Download Widescreen fix by nemesis2000.
  2. Create a scripts folder inside and extract only h1w.dll and h47.ini files to that folder.
  3. Download the 32-bit version of Ultimate ASI Loader by ThirteenAG.
  4. Extract dinput8.dll inside and rename it to dsound.dll .
  5. Change the .dll extension of the h1w.dll file to .asi by renaming it to h1w.asi
  6. Inside the scripts folder create a file called global.ini and put the following:

[GlobalSets]
FindModule=1

1. Download DgVoodoo.
  2. Extract dgVoodooCpl.exe , dgVoodoo.conf , MS\x86\DDraw.dll and MS\x86\D3DImm.dll inside of the game’s folder.
  3. Open dgVoodooCpl.exe , go to the DirectX tab and uncheck the “dgVoodoo Watermark” option, configure vsync, antialiasing and other settings if needed.
  4. Open h47.ini and change your desired resolution.
  5. Play the game.

Unfortunately this solution doesn’t allow the use of a DirectSound wrapper (ALchemy, DSOAL…).
Also dgVoodoo2 seems to corrupt the texts (it also happens by forcing an anti-aliasing method other than FXAA in DirectX7).
A d3d7to9 wrapper built into Ultimate ASI Loader would be perfect, but I guess it’s also complicated to implement.

I think the solution is to play with widescreen fix in DirectX7, DSOAL/ALchemy, FXAA or AA off, Dxtory to prevent the game from exceeding 60fps (if you have a high refresh rate screen with FreeSync/G-Sync).
I hope there will be better solutions in the future.

Yeah I’d also like to use DSOAL, corrupted text doesn’t really bother me. According to PCGamingWiki the Widescreen fix can be enabled with OpenGL if you use DxWnd. I tried, but didn’t look too much into it. It introduced lag so I decided it’s not worth it.

I opened an issue ticket on GitHub because I can’t hook the asi loader if I rename it to dinput.dll for some reason, hopefully the creator can help:

On Nvidia Anti aliasing with nvidia inspector in OpenGL mode corrupts the textures, so it’s a pick your poison situation. DirectX makes the text harder to read, but the textures are fine.

1 Like

In some older OpenGL games, according to my tests, using “antialiasing transparency supersampling” from Nvidia Inspector breaks the textures. Use another method if that’s the case. I don’t remember trying it in this game.
In DirectX7 in this game, as mentioned above, any anti-aliasing method other than FXAA will corrupt the text. I don’t think there is a solution, I haven’t found it.

1 Like

This is helpful. Thank you

So i searched around and there’s an OpenGL → D3D wrapper that allows to run both the widescreen fix and the OpenGL mode.

GLDirect

Unzip the opengl32.dll from the zip: gldirect5/bin/release to the game’s main folder, you also need the ASI-loader and the scripts folder with the Widescreen fix’s .asi and .ini.

So the way I understand it, game hooks dsound.dll (asi loader) which in turn hooks the modules from the scripts folder. Unfortunately it doesn’t solve the DSOAL issue as the only possible .dll that will get hooked is dsound.dll. I suspect it’s because ddraw.dll is no longer hooked (it’s the DirectX .dll, and we’re already using opengl32.dll for graphics). And as you know the game doesn’t recognize anything other than dsound or ddraw (at least to my knowledge).

OpenGL Mode (GLDirect) with 8X MSAA + 16x Anisotropic filtering through the Nvidia Inspector

2 Likes

I have seen GLDirect but unfortunately it is an incomplete wrapper and it is no longer in development (it does not seem to fully support OpenGL 2.0). So unless someone develops a widescreen fix for OpenGL rendering, we’ll have to content ourselves with playing Direct7, hoping that some future Windows update won’t break compatibility.
I don’t remember if I tested super-sampling antialiasing 2x2, 1x2, etc (according to Nvidia Inspector, they only work for Direct3D applications). MSAA and all other modalities, as mentioned above, breaks the texts.
In OpenGL, if you were having trouble with textures, it was probably because you had “anti-aliasing transparency supersampling” enabled in Nvidia Inspector. With Half Life and Return to the Caste Wolfenstein the same happens, both are old OpenGL games.