IO Interactive On Walking Away From The Hitman Series

I forgot about that game :joy:, if we can beat Deathloop with only stealth or most of it, then I’m in.

I love Dishonored and in Deathloop there are supernatual abilties we had in Dishonored, I have seen Blink been used for example.

I just found this and it sound promising :grinning::

“There are some abilities that are dedicated to that, to sneaking around, to making the best of stealth,” Bakaba said. "So, you can play using stealth, although playing non-lethally is not something Colt is into, for a number of reasons. But the most important reason is, the only way he’s getting out of the island is by killing eight targets before the end of the day. So, because people don’t really die per se, because of the time loop, he just goes for the fastest option, which is either sneaking past them, or eliminating them through stealth, or action.”

(Have to stop posting about Deathloop now, I’m derailing this thread :grimacing:.)

Edit.

Oh! We have a thread for Deathloop already, @moderators maybe move our Deathloop posts over here?:

4 Likes

Knowing Arkane’s philosophy, I think we’ll be able to complete it stealthily. This game seems to be build on the same foundations as Dishonored so I’m confident :slight_smile:

That’s great. I’ve read many interesting things about this game. I’m confident it will be a great game, can’t wait. Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

This video (which is from April 2020) did a decent analysis of the leaderboards to generate an estimate on sales.

IO’s financial statement also says that Project 007 and Malmo were made possible solely based on higher than expected sales of already released games, as well as making deals with platforms (EGS, Sony etc). But the previous year, the statement said that HITMAN 2 undersold against their projections.

4 Likes

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. And yeah deals with Sony and EGS are definitely vital right now for IOI. Hopefully Hitman 3 and Project 007 will be successful so they won’t need these types of deals in the future, I never really liked exclusive content even temporary ones.

So maybe this is the real reason why they will put Hitman on hold after all, makes me sad that great games like Hitman isn’t more popular than they are. :cry:

Edit.

But this isn’t that bad:

70 mill players have played Hitman games during the last 20 years :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

I personally believe it came down to two things:

1. IO wanted to do something new for a while.
  2. Because they don’t own the IP, but instead have an exclusive license from Square Enix, and wanted to do something else - it wasn’t worth them paying to renew that license if they weren’t going to use it (assuming the deal was coming to an end if it was designed to allow them to finish the trilogy).
1 Like

Not what IO Interactive’s CEO, Hakan Abrak said:

“Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP,” Abrak wrote. “This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP — we’re about to forge our own future and it’s incredibly exciting.”

This is more likely, they are just parted with WB, independent again, for second time and maybe want to do something completely different for a change.

That was IO spinning it - since they technically got to keep control of the franchise with the exclusive license. The trademarks are still all registered to Square Enix (search registration number 5737868 in T.E.S.S.).

It’s also why everything since the split has had this text in the legal stuff:

IO Interactive, IOI logos, HITMAN, HITMAN logos, and WORLD OF ASSASSINATION are trademarks or registered trademarks owned by or exclusively licensed to IO Interactive A/S.

When you search IO Interactive in T.E.S.S. (registration number 5471855), IO owns that name, so that can’t be what the exclusive license stuff is referring to. It has to be the Hitman IP.

2 Likes

But isn’t this for Kane & Lynch, Freedom Fighters and Mini Ninjas?

But…

… if this is correct, then it also include the Hitman franchise :cry:.

Edit.

Could it be that IO-I have’t updated TESS about the ownership of the Hitman IP? (Not likely)

They didn’t get Kane & Lynch or Mini Ninjas at all - they left them behind with Square Enix. The got an exclusive license to Hitman and either the IP or a license as well for Freedom Fighters.

Edit: Plus there would be no point adding that legal disclaimer into a game/on a website that didn’t even mention any other exclusively licensed material.

Almost a definite no since the IO Interactive trademark was updated. They would’ve done them all in one clean sweep at the time if it was on the agenda.

1 Like

It’s interesting, and we’ll see with that if the Epic Games Store has an impact on sales or not.

Hitman 2 was about 150.000k sales (Miami Pro leaderboards) on PC in 1 month and 250.000k free players included (Hawke’s Bay Pro leaderboards). Of course this methodology is not that reliable, because it does not take into account players on Master difficulty/Casual only, or offline players, or those who bought and did not launch the game.

But we have a reference to compare from March and forward.

4 Likes

Think we’ll see 47 return around late 2023 or maybe middle of 2024.

God feels like ages away :worried:

1 Like

that’s way too early. it took 4 years after absolution and 6 years before it. we’re already in 2021

3 Likes

i’m gonna be dead before another one comes out.

1 Like

But Hitman 2 only released two years after Hitman 2016?

You’re probably right but we can’t really say when it will be really I guess.

Well, 2023 is the year I’m expecting to see Project 007.

I think that’s a bit too optimistic, IO-I are still hiring for that game:

I had to look up what a Creative Director does :joy::

“A video game creative director is someone who makes sure a video game project looks fantastic in all aspects, and is often the creator of the game concept. He or she is responsible for the overall vision of the product, which includes game play, visual style, story, audio assets, cinematics, and marketing materials.”

But he/she can’t make the game alone, I don’t know how many people they have and how many more they need for this project though, but they are looking for a bunch more:

1 Like

Yeah, I think you’re right.

1 Like

well… game development still happens while employees are being hired. thats what a creative director is for :grinning:

4 Likes

they have a lot of employees who are already hired! most likely they’ve already started concepting Project 007 with the writers and concept artists, and the creative director keeps everything on track. game development starts at the conceptual level

4 Likes