Is the live content finished?

That is why IOI was given license from the Eon/Danjaq/Broccoli family to make a video game for James Bond, because they could do better based on their Hitman franchise.

3 Likes

The idea is that James Bond, regardless of recent results, is a huge franchise with a bit fanbase that goes back decades. No matter how bad the last game or movie was, people are going to play a new game that comes out based on that franchise, no matter what, kinda like Star Wars. The only way you lose on making a licensed property game is if you make it a lousy one, and since IOI has essentially been making James Bond games for twenty years, and especially for the last seven, they’re in the best position by far to be able to make good money off of even just a “decent” 007 game.

3 Likes

IIRC Hakan said “new maps” (or was it locations?) in the video. No specific number, but he did use plural. We got Ambrose and the Safehouse, so technically two, but personally I don’t really consider the Safehouse to be a proper map in the same sense like the others (i.e. with a mission, target, NPCs, etc.). So one more would be definitely nice (or some bonus mission variations).

4 Likes

And that would be wrong. That’s my point. There’s a reason why companies stopped making Bond games 10+ years ago. They weren’t big sellers.

Mad Max (2015) disagrees. :joy:

Just my opinion, but I think ioi makes the same amount of money with their 007 game as they did with Hitman 3. And that’s best case scenario. Meaning it would require ALL Hitman 3 buyers to support the new Bond game. And the problem with that is, it’s not going to happen. I have zero interest in a 007 game. And I can’t be the only Hitman player like that.

We’ll see.

It would… but…

Doubt

1 Like

They weren’t big sellers because reviewers and the fanbase that got on board with them spread word to more casual gamers that might have taken them up that they sucked and you won’t like or understand them unless you’re a hardcore fan.

I will amend my statement: a licensed property that people actually care about, not a c-lister.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the reason why so many Bond games failed in the past. I think people (you included) are just overestimating the interest level/popularity of the Bond license for games.

There haven’t been that many Bond games, and one of them was utterly phenomenal; point of fact, that subsequent games failed to capture that same feel is a contributing factor to their failure.

IOI making a 007 game is a good move because people are probably ready for another game from the franchise now; they know it’s coming from the Hitman company, which even if you’re not a player or fan is significant since it’s been a success for 20 years and the most recent trilogy saw good results nearly across the board over the scope of its life; and as long as IOI use their map design and related skills to the same degree they do with Hitman, they should have no trouble making an interesting new take on a playable 007 game, and they will garner word of mouth and put them on the map as having been successful with the property for the first time in nearly 30 years.

There does not have to be an existing huge demand for a 007 game in order for IOI to make a huge splash with this.

Having never played a James Bond game that I can recall, which one was the good one?

Every James Bond game that I was aware of kept going back to the same stuff - golden guns, Odd Job, Jaws, etc. They seemed to me (who again, didn’t play them) like they were just trying to cash in on some generic version of “1960’s James Bond”.

If the plot and game play of the game are good, then is should prove to be a good revenue stream.

That was GoldenEye 007 on Nintendo 64. The games tried to cash in on those because those are the most well-known moments of the Bond series, so they go back to it. Not shocking, as the same happens in other licensed games with such long histories.

I feel like since interviews have included some stuff noting that theyll be patching freelancer i know there will be live stuff eventually. But idk when this long wait will end. Its a deserved break but i think it might be because the Malmo studio moved which I believe helps do the live stuff right?

1 Like

GoldenEye on N64 was successful for two reasons:

1. It was the first, First Person Shooter on consoles, and…

2. It had a NEW play style for consoles: FPS.

All the games that came after tried to cram in multiple play styles (FPS, 3rd Person Action, Driving) and they didn’t have the novelty of being “First”.

Again, I think GoldenEye’s success has less to do with James Bond and more to do with the above reasons. Which is why no other James Bond game came close to the critical and financial success of GoldenEye on N64. Including other games ON the N64.

Again, I think the success of ioi"s 007 game will depend on ioi and their dedicated Hitman fanbase and less on the 007 fanbase.

At first, yes. But, once the 007 fanbase learns that there’s an actual game of the franchise that does the property right, that’s gonna propel it further.

Isn’t the mods’ job to keep the discussions on this forum on topic?

How the hell did this topic about hitman 3 live content turned into a fucking Bond discussion, can you guys have this conversation on the 007 topic?

Because it began about how much live content there will be when the rest of the resources go to the 007 game and just kind of went from there. Admittedly, I forgot that’s which thread this was in, and thought we were in one of the general threads. My bad.

IOI is a >20 year old company. They just published Hitman 3 which made more money than any other game that they have made so far. They could have made a Hitman 4 or anything else. Instead they spent years trying to get a license for a James Bond video game, and are now taking on Project 007. IOI know that they can make a hit James Bond video game. Apparently they have agreement to make up their own version of James Bond, and will likely make at least three James Bond video games. James Bond is a global icon, and can be made into a hit franchise if done well.

Speak for yourself. :rofl:

And that’s why I think we’ll see 47 return to our gaming screens quicker than we originally thought.

If you think about it, Hitman III was announced as the most successful game in the franchise and totally exceeded IOI’s expectations, so why wouldn’t they bring 47 back as soon as possible? I know IOI originally said they were giving 47’s character a rest once Hitman III finished, but since that time we’ve had a post Hitman III Freelancer mode and IOI’s WOA sale records show that fans are totally invested in 47’s character.

I’m hoping we’ll see 47 back by at least 2026 or early 2027 :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

Praying for this prophecy to come true.

No freaking way. I predict 2030 at the earliest.

You read it here first folks!

The gaming community is likely to collapse before then due to over-saturation of multiplayer content, excessive micro-transaction business models, and player dissatisfaction with the prevalence of games requiring constant online connect. We’ll never see 47 again!!!