Is the live content finished?

The live service/battle pass model is dying. Only a few Too Big To Fail will survive. IOI will likely start pre-development on the next Hitman when Bond is out, and if they’re smart they’ll make it a single player offline hub/open world combo immersive sim. Think Mankind Divided but third person and without jumping. My honest release expectation is 2033.

Like The Thing, if even one piece survives, the monster will not be dead, and will always try to conquer the world.

1 Like

2026 release of Project 007, 2029 release of Project 007, Part #2,…maybe a part 3… I would put a new Hitman at 2033 – ten years from now.

5 Likes

In this new Eurogamer article and podcast, Hakan Abrak (CEO) and Christian Elverdam (Chief Creative Officer and co-owner) sound like they’re planning on expanding WOA. The first part of what’s quoted are Eurogamer’s words. I’m hoping it means more new maps.

The World of Assassination will continue to grow and expand, as was always intended, and a good example of how can be seen in the considerable new Roguelike Freelancer mode. This came from watching how players played the game and riffing off of them, so to speak - and the studio wants to do this more.

“I hope we can have our cake and eat it too,” Elverdam says, “in the sense that we have such a wonderful platform where we can keep experimenting with what the formula can do and what people expect of it.”

9 Likes

That’s a really great find, very interesting article and I’m going to queue up the podcast version to hear the extra details.

Intriguing to hear that they’re at a 280-odd headcount these days, and that they’re hinting at further expansion beyond the three existing IOI studios in Copenhagen, Malmo and Barcelona. To lay my cards on the table straight away, I would be prepared to quit my job to work at IOI Milton Keynes if you’re reading this, Hakan: have your people call my people.

3 Likes

I’m just going to point out that DOOM was on the Snes.

1 Like

Considering these are just Eurogamer’s words and the IOI quotes are a lot less definitive, I’m taking this with a tablespoon of salt grains.

I, likewise, would happily become the one-man no-programming-experience New York customer and public relations team.

2 Likes

“It was the first, First Person Shooter on consoles designed specifically for consoles and not an inferior port of an existing PC game.”

Better? :joy:

1 Like

Let’s hope you’re wrong then.

I guess anything is possible in todays world :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for this @Fleur, good find :grin:

This article almost deserves its own thread for discussion :wink:

3 Likes

Lol perfect :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Glad to share it!

Yeah, I was considering making a thread, but the words are vague as @BluntsNBeatz points out. I could not find the spot in the podcast where it’s discussed. Maybe it was outside of the official conversation.

Eurogamer do state it very blatantly, just before the Elverdam quote about building on the platform, so maybe they have confirmation.

2 Likes

Listening to the full podcast, and Hakan says that he kinda bounced off H2:SA to start with and how the first Hitman game that he fell in love with was Blood Money: that’s a proper fan, right there… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Mainly posted just to get up in @Norseman’s grill :grin:)

4 Likes

I’ll post the relevant section from the article about Hitman going on hiatus for a while in an existing thread. Listened to IOI’s comments as well and they match the transcript :slightly_smiling_face:

Tbh I tried both C47 and H2 and it was very painful. I did enjoy Contracts onwards though.

1 Like

I knew there was something off with that guy.

4 Likes

Where’s this podcast?

Also H2:SA slander is punishable with death by fugu.

Freelancer clearly has huge H2:SA inspirations also.

EDIT: Oh I see, there’s a podcast on the article too. Modern ad-filled article trends have trained me to overlook any elements interrupting the paragraphs of text.

3 Likes

Here, for example.

Edit: aw, two seconds too late :joy:

1 Like

I loved H2SA but it’s hard to go back to. That wonky detection system doesnt really help. I dont remember it being so janky back when I played on the gamecube, but people go trigger happy whenever you so much as walk at a brisk pace.

Really wish there was a mod that overhauled it.

2 Likes