Is the Molotov Cocktail too unbalanced?

I think most people actually agree that there are parts of it that should be fixed (i.e., effects going through walls and ability to reuse if shot with a dart) but these are generally considered actual bugs (i.e., “broken”). Overall the cocktail in general is not too unbalanced though.

There is a difference between “unbalanced” and “broken”. The poll is asking whether it is too unbalanced. The conversation has now trended towards whether it is broken. Ergo, the poll doesn’t matter to the question of how many people feel like it’s broken at all as that isn’t what it asked.

4 Likes

I think it’s the other way around. The sentiment I see in general online on YouTube/Reddit etc., is that the molotov is ridiculous/gamebreaking as it is now and that it needs to be balanced. I’m not saying whether this is true or not, but that is what I’ve seen people saying outside of HMF.

I think on here, a couple of prominent speedrunning members have been very forceful in shaping the narrative around OP items for years, and a lot of people respond to that strength and just kind of join in.

1 Like

Is it ridiculous? Maybe.

Does it “break” the game? Not even remotely.

4 Likes

I don’t agree with that myself, but that’s clearly how a lot of people are talking about it on the broader internet.

When you search “hitman molotov cocktail” on YouTube, this is what comes up. A lot of game break talk. Also in the comments.

1 Like

I think a lot of people on YouTube like the idea of getting clicks and views and use language that is meant to drive those clicks and views. It’s hyperbole, pure and simple.

To “Break” a game, you have to make the game unplayable, or make the game so easy that is becomes not worth playing at all.

The Molotov Cocktail, as others have pointed out already over and over and over, is illegal to hold, illegal to throw, has a wide area of effect, and requires some skill to use. There are two major bugs that the item currently has which will likely get patched out relatively soon.

Despite the hyperbole of YouTube and Reddit, this does not equate to making the game unplayable nor does it make the game so easy as to remove any value in playing it.

13 Likes

Yes, that is a factor. I still feel that I’ve seen more of that sentiment in general, that it needs to be balanced.

I agree with all of this. I think the Molotov is fun, and I don’t really mind it. There is a long way back to making Hitman actually balanced at it’s core without different options that undermine the foundational puzzle of a Hitman level. This is my opinion, and I know you don’t agree (cus singleplayer game, but I do think balance still matters).

Personally, I’ve let go long ago. It’s fine. Let people have fun.

2 Likes

As I say, seems to be a vocal minority, and hyperbole is indeed very popular on the internet. It feels like people seem so obsessed with calling things broken that they’ll jump on any opportunity. I guess I can see how it’s fun to laugh at and joke about “OMG this item totally BROKE Hitman look at all the new records rofl!!!”, but that’s just it, people gotta meme. The internet in general would rather use hyperbole and laugh at something than just focus on the matter of fact. This is the age of hyperbole, sensationalism and taking on opinions just because some influencer has voiced those opinions, even though said influencer probably just did so for clicks. So everything people say needs to be taken with a dozen truckloads of salt grains.

The internet these days is about ‘memes’ and reactions, not actual grounded discussion on anything lol.

Disclaimer: I’m totally just memeing and trying to get a reaction.

Do the majority opinion seems to be: fox it, but keep it.

That’s the crux of it. Did the Molotov Cocktail “break” the game? No, it did not. If any single thing actually broke the game it was the remote emetic mine because that introduced the whole fart briefcase thing. As long as you can get to the target, you can isolate them.

Or maybe it was the 3 shot lure/distraction glitch that lets you stand right in front of an enforcer and they won’t even notice you?

Or maybe it was the ability to jump on a muffin and somehow get out of the bounds of the game?

Or perhaps it was the way that shooting an NPC in the leg somehow doesn’t immediately lose your silent assassin rating?

As much as I love the game, if it was ever “broken”, it was “broken” way before the Molotov was introduced.

4 Likes

Did you ever see a video about an item of any game that is defended as “well balanced“? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Case in point. Was it the Molotov that “broke” the game in that video or was it the fact that a breaching charge can launch an item so far? I’ve seen similar videos where a breaching charge launches some other item way to the other side of Sapienza (I think it was) and kills a target. The Molotov isn’t the problem in that example.

1 Like

Not really, but I’ve seen a lot of discussions on Reddit about how it’s unbalanced as well. I don’t think that can be explained simply by click-bait hyperbole, because some of them are actual discussions between (perhaps a tad more casual) Hitman gamers.

1 Like

I also experienced Reddit as a place where unhappy people are more vocal than happy ones. :stuck_out_tongue:
If you are okay with something, you usually do other things. If it is not a poll that is thrown into a somewhat neutral place, the popular opinion is not representative.
This thread is a good example. People browse HMF for various reasons.

“Oh, a poll about some item? Yeah it is nice I guess.“
leaves thread

The unhappy stay more likely to express their issues. That is why there is only a Like button. Because liking is simple. Disliking requires to comment.

4 Likes

This one is also a bit of a problem if used as evidence that the Molotov itself is a problem item. The situation presented shows an audio distraction used, a banana, and a Molotov in conjunction with a cliff, at the bottom of which is a body hiding spot (water), and a gas canister. While it does set up a rather unique kill of two targets, the setup is such that it’s not really applicable on a wide scale.

First, you need a banana (which is not currently available unless it’s already in the level).
Second, you need the audio distraction. That’s readily unlockable, so fine.
Third, you need the Molotov.
Fourth, you need both targets to meet somewhere where this setup can work. There are probably more than one throughout the entire game, but they aren’t that common.
Fifth, you need the cliff or the whole body hiding part is out the window. Now these are both accidents I think so maybe hiding bodies isn’t required.
Sixth, you need the gas canister (see above point).

In the end, it’s a unique use of a few specific items that probably doesn’t translate to one single item causing the game to “break”.

Hmm, you kind of made it about that. That was not the crux of my original post. I mentioned the ridiculousness and gamebreaking-rhetoric in my post to illustrate that those opinions are out there on the broader internet. Not to argue that the Molotov is actually broken as such. That’s the part you picked up and went with. Which is fine, but you’re arguing against people outside of here.

Yes, that is a truth about the internet. I don’t know if it necessarily always applies. It’s a fact that you could always, in principle, pull out of the pocket, if there is negativity about something online… “well it’s just that vocal minority”.

Sometimes it is probably still warranted critique and more widespread than merely a vocal minority. I think a lot of people truthfully find it to be a bit too OP, and would like to see it patched. But that’s just like my opinion, man

I think the whole thread made it about that. Your original post was that people on the Internet think that the item broke the game. Ok. I agree with you that there are people on the Internet that think that.

For what it’s worth, I do also agree that the Molotov should be patched to remove the two widely recognized bugs of piercing through walls and the dart thing.

Well but it is a given that the number of people here is… smaller than the playerbase of H3. :wink: It is also easy to pull that one out of the pocket too, that this is not a minority.

In the end it doesn’t need to invalidate an argument just because it is made by just a few. But please don’t inflate the weight out of guesses. Then I don’t need to deflate it. :smile:

The thread is about it being unbalanced, which I agree with. People were arguing that people who think so are in the minority, so I mentioned that “gamebreaking”-rhetoric from other forums to oppose it. It was relevant.

Well, true. I don’t have hard data on this, and neither do you. But I am just calling into question the proposition that all opposition to the Molotov can simply be reduced to a vocal minority. I think it’s more widespread, that’s all. It is true, I cannot not know for sure.