Khandanyang Discussion (Hitman: WoA Trilogy)

Discussion of everything related to the fictional country of Khandanyang featured in the World of Assassination trilogy. Anything from info present in the games to ideas and speculations by players. Glory to the Heavenly Leader! (no actual political commentary intended ;-))

5 Likes

Would we say Khandanyang is a communicst country? From everything weā€™ve heard of it I highly doubt it. Sun Po seems to be quite explicitly their ā€˜God Kingā€™

Edit: NK isnā€™t communist either

8 Likes

He is the Sun and the Moon, you Capitalists!

5 Likes

Now Iā€™m just reading up on the symbology of the North Korean flag :sweat_smile: weird start to the day

3 Likes

Ah, shame. IĀ“m really curious about it. Looks like something out of Southeast Asia and definitely fits there very well. I also like the outline of the flag and colours you chose :+1:

As someone from an ex-communist country, trust me, thatĀ“s a symbol IĀ“m more than familiar with :wink:

Yeah, thatĀ“s the questionā€¦ While heavily inspired by NK, it is heavily implied that it is a monarchy. And communism and monarchies donĀ“t really fit well togetherā€¦ Of course it could be that Jin/Sun Po (who so far seem to be the same person) got to power as a member/leader of a Marxist junta or something like that and then just proclaimed himself king. WouldnĀ“t be far-fetchedā€¦ (think something like the Central African Empire under Jean-BĆ©del Bokassa, but with the one allowed party being communist :man_shrugging:)

Also, if the Khandanyang gold bars are anything to go by, then the five-pointed star is indeed a legitimate symbol of the country:

Nevertheless, my ā€œcriticismā€ of the star was mainly because of its positioning on the flag. ItĀ“s a bit weird to have it all alone in the upper stripe. DonĀ“t think IĀ“ve seen something similar IRL :wink:

???

3 Likes

From what I understand itā€™s basically working out of a communist template but rebranded itself and refuses to call itself communism

But letā€™s be real, how many are actually properly communist? :man_shrugging:

Edit: ahhhh, forgot about the bars!

Funnily enough the hangul and the star with circle in it are just straight rip offs of NK :smile:

Edit 2: also best I can tell the flower is a cherry blossom, which in my mind makes me think of Japan, but they do have them in Korea too so

2 Likes

Indeed, thereĀ“s communism and ā€œcommunismā€, but as long as itĀ“s called a PeopleĀ“s Democratic Republic, itĀ“s communist to me :joy: And letĀ“s face it, NK is as Stalinist as they come :wink:

Yeah, these two (especially the hangul) are probably the most obvious NK elements about it :grin:

Ah, shame on me! Of course, sakuraā€¦ YouĀ“re totally right! ThatĀ“s why it seemed so familiarā€¦ I see it all the time here and it didnĀ“t even cross my mind one bit :grin: Not sure where (if) I saw this particular one though. Dunno why I had it associated with SEAā€¦

EDIT: I think the SEA mishap was because of the colour scheme of the flag. It resembles the ASEAN one :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to think of alternative designs incorporating the star with the circle in from the gold bar. Cause itā€™s safe to assume thatā€™d be the main symbol of their flag if itā€™s on their gold (right?)

And all I can say is I definitely donā€™t envy anyone whose job this is :joy: mind you thereā€™s a whole subreddit just for flag design so

4 Likes

I thought this country was more like Brunei rather than NK

1 Like

IĀ“d say it has those elements as well. It pretty much comes out as a mix of North Korea, Southeast Asian, and Central Asian authocracies (which is what makes it so interesting - for me anyway). ItĀ“s just that the NK inspirations have been arguably the most prominent so far.

5 Likes

Yeah but other than ā€œdear leaderā€ I donā€™t see much of NK, unless I missed something. Going by the Brunei inspiration, Iā€™d see more possible that the son of the sultan went to the IAGO meeting for example. While someone from NKā€™s goverment family would be detained the moment they entered France, I donā€™t think they be around anyway.

One of the major bits are the gold bars in New York with a misspelled (iirc from what one of the Korean users said on this topic on the old forum) Khandanyang written in Korean hangul on them. Plus the five-pointed stars.

Yes, there are the Heavenly Leader/The Sun and the Moon titles, which is very much like what Kim Jong-il had, plus the fact that the country is a dictatorship ran by a family dynasty (a very much NK thing, though in NK itĀ“s in a monarchy-like manner, whereas Khandanyang actually seems to be a monarchy). And the Heavenly Guard/7th Special Forces Group, with their specialization in infiltration, kidnappings, and assassinations, are very much like what a North Korean special forces unit does/would do.

But theyĀ“re not NK proper :wink: Plus IĀ“d say Tren Po probably kept his entry to the country secret.

4 Likes

Also, itā€™s mentioned in Re Thakā€™s bio that her family is of Chinese heritage which is more in line with NK (shares a border with China) than Beirut

Edit: great points Rim

4 Likes

:+1:

Then of course there are the bits that point to other inspirations, such as Khandanyang having jungle areas and indigenous tribes (something IĀ“d associate with Southeast Asia), or the Tungan Valley which has a somewhat Central Asian sound to me (apparently, Dungan or Tungan is actually a term used to refer to muslim people of Hui origin in Central Asia and Xinjiang, if one can trust Wikipedia on that matter).

Brunei :wink:

1 Like

Donā€™t mind me, just gonna jump off a cliff

Also references to indigenous tribes?

Come on, be creative. Say youĀ“re on your phone and blame autocorrect :joy:

In Miami, Sierra makes several phonecalls after the race in the paddock. Two of them regarding KronstadtĀ“s dealings with Khandanyang. In one of them, she talks with the KHA ambassador about a shipment of missiles. The ambassador says theyĀ“ll be testing them in the coastline areas which are only inhabited by some indigenous tribes (I donĀ“t recall the conversation exactly, but basically SierraĀ“s worried that the tests might attract unwanted attention and the ambassador mentions them in his answer).

I mean technically is true, I typed ā€œberiutā€ and my phone autocorrect that :joy:

I love how much detail these games have :heart_eyes:

Edit:

Also I canā€™t like anything! This new site is killing me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You are not helping yourself :joy:

Right? I only discovered these a few months ago when I realized I had never bothered to eavesdrop on Sierra in the paddock :sweat_smile: Highly recommend doing so. One of the calls has a few nice Sapienza references :wink:

Hang in there. It wonĀ“t last much longer :grin:

1 Like

Btw, you do realize that the blue circle / white star / red circle combination was the roundel of the US Army Air Corps, right? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sun Po is a member of the US Air Corps? Interesting :thinking:

2 Likes