Khandanyang Discussion (Hitman: WoA Trilogy)

The plot thickens

4 Likes

Still better than a memory refreshing serum… :unamused:

6 Likes

CIA interventionism when?

Honestly, as a Korean myself, every time I see that weird Korean lettering it makes me wanna puke

4 Likes

Is it weird only because it´s written wrong (btw, what exactly does it say on the bar?), or would it be weird nonetheless?

it just says “Khandanyang” in broken hangul.

spelt like “K ha da nyang”

6 Likes

In ‘47 it became completely separate from the US Army and became the US Air Force.

Edit: fast forward 73 years and the US Air Force has over 5,300 aircraft… and the US Army (who didn’t want to keep the air corps) has over 5,100 aircraft.

Ok, so despite not getting Khandanyang as a location in H3, we at least got a target from there (not a Po, but hey). However, aside from the fact that IO seemingly can´t stay consistent in info about the country (as this time around it´s Khadanyang), Hush´s background seems to be left completely unexplored/unutilized, making him (and Royce as well) a rather dull and uninteresting target (and his unique kills are no better). Gotta say I´m pretty disappointed here…

Has anyone stumbled upon any bits of dialogue or intel (outside the briefing of course) that would touch upon this? Cause I so far haven´t in my playthroughs, though I have yet to eavesdrop on every conversation in the level…

Edit: To expand on that, it would´ve been neat for example to have a Kashmerian-style mission story where there would be a team of Heavenly Guard operatives searching for him because someone tipped them off, and tasked with eliminating him for his desertion. And there would be an opportunity to outsource the kill to them (preferably via a Kronstadt drone strike lol).

3 Likes

He is a Po though… His bio (which people seem to never read before saying this stuff) states he is Jin Po’s nephew and that is why he was such a high profile hacker and might also explain why the man has zero appreciation of human life.

Of course we don’t get a lot of information on him he is a cyberterrorist who came from an authoritarian, isolationist regime and he was almost killed by his own people for no other reason than for being to good.

Honestly Hush is a decent character if you allow yourself to actually explore his apartment block and especially if you look into the experiments and what people say about them. He might have been great if he had more kills though.

2 Likes

Ah, good point. I was thinking strictly Jin or Tren, so this completely slipped my mind :sweat_smile:

The thing is, I wish it was somewhat fleshed out a bit more in the mission, such as in his dialogues. But all his conversations involve a bunch of vague sort-of-technical bollocks and a God complex of sorts, which to me just isn´t interesting at all (both lore-wise and in general), and to eavesdrop on (heck, even Ken Morgan is more interesting to listen to!). The way Hush is in the game, he could be pretty much from any background (and I´d still find it hard to find him interesting enough).

I´ll probably have to do some more lurking around to see if my opinion somewhat improves, because so far I haven´t really found the block and the experiments (and the conversations around them) interesting at all…

Definitely. The passage sniper kill is nice, but again, it involves nothing interesting since Hush and Royce just brag and vaguely accuse each other of being losers. The brain kill is… ok, I guess, but I didn´t find it all that much fun. And the ventilation one is just meh…

Hush just feels so far like a wasted opportunity to me (and that´s a feeling I have about other aspects of Chongqing as well - which kinda bothers me, cause it was the level I was most looking forward to).

Edit: It might just be my overall disappointment with Chongqing not being what I was hoping it to be in certain aspects, so maybe/hopefully it will grow on me more over time…

3 Likes

There was never any way 47 could reach them and they don’t really tie into the story. Sometimes it is best to know when something should be dropped, Hush being a distant Po is a nice happy middle IO found.

Now you see that is why I like him. Hush has the same sort of insecurity based God Complex that drives The Constant, that drove Ort-Meyer and it fits well with the theme of untouchability. Since trying to become god is the zenith of that line of thinking plus it makes sense in fact underestimation, overestimation and insecurity seems to be a big theme I found in this game.

Hush had everything in his life given to him and because of it I feel he has an insecurity complex. His big experiment? It is controlling people, it is his way of both securing a legacy on his own merit but also showing the world who is boss. His professional and hostile rivalry with Royce? He can’t handle someone who is showing him up at is own job plus Royce is also trying to control people in her own way and Hush can’t take it. She is using actual science and has good results, Hush is a pseudo-scientist who is wasting ICA resources on effectively bunk.

I guess I just really like the sci-fi atmosphere of it all. This is really the first time Hitman has felt less like a spy thriller and more like a sci-fi novel. I guess I like giving props to the creativity shown here especially since it follows Berlin a level I actually dislike way more than I should.

Funny… I want to do an experiment of my own and ask this: Did you enjoy Berlin?

1 Like

Yeah, you’re probably right. Sometimes stuff is better left to your imagination. Half of the beauty of WoA is IO just giving us hints of a wider world, not having to explain everything

1 Like

I´d disagree on that one. Tren is perfectly reachable in Paris, so he might as well be again. Plus a major theme of the game is touching the supposedly untouchable ones, which 47 does and can continue to do. As for tying into the story, that´s merely a matter of the writers´ imagination :wink:

I see… I think that´s our main point of divergence on the subject. I pretty much dislike the sci-fi atmosphere/aspect here. It feels to me like it caters a lot to the cyberpunk fans among us, whereas I´m personally more into the spy thriller atmosphere and would like the level to have more of that (or at least be balanced between both approaches). As a result it feels more like a disruption in tone to me. That being said, I don´t want it to sound like I don´t enjoy Chongqing. Quite the contrary, I think it´s great. Just wish it did some things differently.

Your explanation for why you like Hush´s character is really good and I can see where you´re coming from. But I guess with me the way it´s manifested just doesn´t click (unlike The Constant and his pragmatic Machiavellian way of doing things). Honestly kinda envy you for being able to perceive him that way. Hopefully my perception will improve with future playthroughs as well.

I did, for various reasons. Or are you hinting specifically at kill opportunities and target portrayals?

I wish it had done things differently as well especially the cyberpunk feel (I think it is played out but the level does make it work). I think the spy atmosphere is still there especially with Royce and the ICA facility, the predictive analytics angle feels like a moder Bond plot point. I get kind of Ort-Meyer vibes from Hush and that might be enough for some people. I guess just appreciate the change of pace in the story.

Oh it is nothing really, all I did was try and see what IO’s intent was, make a few sound assumptions and listening to as much dialogue as I can find. I am educated in textual analysis so I guess I have become more perceptive than a lot of people. The trick isn’t to force yourself into liking it, if you do that you will never get it or hate it more. If you don’t like it then you don’t like it and in that case you explain why you don’t like it.

Oh I had a theory you like Berlin because it would make us the opposite. I dislike Berlin a lot since I feel it lacks stand-out kills aside from confronting Monty and the light rig. I feel like the characters are flat and uninteresting aside from Montgomery who is merely half-baked. I feel like I think it is less that I am being hunted and more like I am avoiding them rather than being hunted by them.

I like the actual aesthetics of the level and I like the ideas there but they are tepidly done to me. I can’t say it is good because it has ideas and they try. That is the worst thing to me: poorly executed good ideas are as bad as mediocrity or straight up poor execution

1 Like

As I was thinking about it now in the shower (:sweat_smile:), I think that´s the main thing that bugs me about Hush´s portrayal. I agree with you that the spy atmosphere is there with Royce, the ICA facility, and the predictive analytics angle, and I also agree on the Ort-Meyer vibes from the Block (as that was my very first thought when I saw the pods). But the fact that Hush is a former operative/cyberterrorist of Khandanyang´s “Stasi” basically made me expect (and want) the spy atmosphere of the level to be centred around him (think the targets from Hantu Port, but in a regular level). That´s why I dislike the sci-fi aspect there so much. And the fact that his background isn´t represented in the dialogues/intel makes it even worse. I suppose if it was the other way around and the sci-fi aspect was centred around Royce, it wouldn´t bother me as much.

Although I like the level (so far that is), I completely agree on the lack of stand-out kills (aside from the two you mention) and the flat characters (again, aside from the half-baked Monty). But so far these aspects haven´t really bothered me that much. It indeed isn´t so much about feeling like you´re being hunted, but rather about feeling like you´re supposed to be hunted, but are instead the one hunting. I´m not sure how well (or whether) the current AI system would support proper “hunting” NPCs.

I adore the aesthetics and atmosphere of the level, though I probably won´t be playing it as much as the other ones. But as a change of pace, it works well for me.

1 Like

Yeah it was me who pointed out that it was misspelled
‘칸단양’ is the right spelling of khandanyang

After seeing that ‘ㅋ하다냥’ on the gold bar, many korean players were like “wtf is ‘kick’ ha-da-nyang?”

Cuz ‘ㅋ’ is used as an onomatopoeia for laughing sound (on Internet.)
typing ‘ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ’ is like ‘lolololol’
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ = Kkkkkkkk/Kickkickkick. Sound of hard lauhging

unnamed (6)

7 Likes

Oh, that´s a neat detail :smiley:

So, now that in H3 they´ve switched to calling it Khadanyang instead of Khandanyang, which one is the more appropriate/correct/suitable in terms of using Korean?? (question goes to @cake941 and @iEmeralds too)

Cause IO/the writers should really make up their mind about it :joy:

1 Like

There are two choices depending on how you pronounce them.

‘kha-da-nyang’ = ‘카다냥’ (카kha 다da 냥nyang)
‘Kha-dan-yang’ = ‘카단양’ (카kha 단dan 양yang)

Which one sounds more appropriate?

2 Likes

I don´t know, but based on his earlier post in this thread, I was under the impression that he at least seems to know Korean? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have absolutely no clue, that´s why I´m asking :joy:

So both are viable?

Edit: Wait, I noticed you didn´t write it the way I meant: Khadanyang or Khandanyang? (I personally prefer the latter, but that´s strictly a matter of sound to me)