Let's Talk Sports

Everyone saying Sterling faked it, it’s like what the fuck are you on about? Yan was winning and threw away his title, what a muppet.

Wasn’t surprised at Nunes absolutely dominating her opponent - Like Khabib I think we’ve got another unstoppable force there.

I really liked the main fight, at first I thought we were going to get Izzy Vs Romero 2 with just leg kicks, but I’m glad Jan took Izzy to the floor and showed some variety in the match. I love both those fighters and bet on both of them to win their last matches which they shared on the same PPV main card (Adesanya Vs Costa and Blachowicz Vs Reyes). Can’t blame Adesanya for tying to go up a class, and to be fair he did 5 rounds with the LH Champ so fair play to him. But Middleweight definitely works for him. I just hope he doesn’t drop to Welterweight because Usman will give him another loss.

Nunes and Islam Makhachev have won me some beer tokens for this evening though so overall I can’t complain about the fights.

2 Likes

Holloway was on another level! To think he did practically no sparring in his training??

I should have checked this thread out earlier, didn’t know there would be UFC discussed!

Had no idea you were a UFC fan!

Yeah, that knee connected and Yan definitely did that on purpose. There’s absolutely no way he didn’t know the rules. He did it with bad intentions despite being well ahead on the score cards and deserved to be disqualified. I’m glad it counted as a loss and not a no contest. After that display though he’ll probably win the immediate rematch provided he doesn’t do any more dumb shit like that.

I was also really impressed with Dominick Cruz last night. He’s always been a main event or co-main for much of his career, but went on the prelims for a non title fight against a surging contender, and had an absolute barnburner. His style’s so weird and awkward, even at 35 years old and after a 15 year career, he’s still like a puzzle that even the younger fighters can’t figure out.

2 Likes

I got into it a few years ago when I started training BJJ and Boxing at a local MMA gym. That’s mostly taken a back burner while I’ve been doing my degree but I have fight pass so I keep up to date with most of the fight nights and events. How long have you been into it?

I thought Cruz’ match was really entertaining, which is definitely the norm for him! I think he only has two finishes under his belt in the UFC, but I guess he was getting consistent wins up until 2016 so fair play to him. I saw him in an interview last week saying he didn’t mind the prelim spot as it meant more fans would probably get to see him as it was free, so good on him for taking advantage of it. It’d be interesting to see him go against Frankie Edgar, depending on where he is in the rankings after last night. Definitely better at fighting than calling matches, although he is a good laugh :joy:

Interested to see what is going to happen in the Lightweight Division now. Khabib needs to vacate his title and let the other guys mash it out. I really don’t think McGregor deserves an immediate title shot, but I know he is a money maker so chances are he and Poirier are going to go at it. I know last night there was talk of Islam going against Ferguson. I think Ferguson is past his prime unfortunately and he’ll just be cannon fodder for up and comers now. I thought Oliveira’s performance against him was outstanding and would like to see him vs either McGregor or Gaethje before going on for a title match.

In Welterweight I wouldn’t mind watching Usman break Covington’s jaw again and I think Wonderboy vs Masvidal would be a cracker of a match. Not sure if Chimaev is going to be able to come back soon, I know he suggested he was finished but if he actually gets some rest then he might be able to recover and come back later this year/early next year. It’s also possible that Belal defeats Leon Edwards for an upset in that division.

I’m looking forward to Stipe vs Ngannou and I think the winner will have a fun match against Derrick Lewis, but I don’t follow the Heavyweight division too much to be honest.

1 Like

I started following it casually a good while ago, but only started paying closer attention in the last 5 years. I have absolutely no athletic background and generally don’t like sports, but something about MMA is oddly fascinating for me.

My favourite divisions are the lower weight classes where fighters rarely have knockout power and have to fight more tactically - Bantamweight, Flyweight etc. There’s also more interesting characters in those divisions and less macho hubris. The output in a fight like Joanna vs Weili was just jaw droppingly hilarious. I have no idea how people do that.

Cruz is definitely the Bantamweight GOAT as far as I’m concerned. It’s a shame he had so many layoffs due to injury and rarely fights these days, but his style still works and confuses people. I’d like to see him and Jose Aldo have a legacy fight since they’re both coming off of convincing wins over surging contenders.

Next I’m interested in seeing what happens with Leon Edwards and Belal and of course everything that happens up at Heavyweight. Feels a bit empty without the Reem and JDS though :frowning:

Yeah I got no idea what happened with Reem and JDS. They were big fan favourites. Dana has been bragging about UFC profits during the lockdown, whereas other sports have suffered, so it seems bizarre that he’s laying people off. I think he tends to divide his eggs between a few baskets and so when Khabib retires and big interest names such as McGregor, Rousey, Ferguson, Masvidal, Covington and Adesanya lose it comes back to bite him in the ass when the hype trains die. People will always watch Overeem and JDS because of their reputation, regardless of if they lose or not. I’m really hoping Cowboy doesn’t get the boot which is something I wouldn’t put past Dana.

Yeah, I honestly feel really yucky sometimes enjoying MMA - In particular the UFC - When a completely amoral scumbag like Dana White is in charge. The guy behaves like a mobster who went above board. Not a nice person at all.

March Madness starts tomorrow!!! I don’t really follow college sports, but there is something special about the tournament and the teams playing every other day. 68 teams!!!

1 Like

I haven’t followed it much this year, but Michigan has a really good team and Juwan Howard (Chicago native, by the way :grin:) became the first person to earn a #1 seed as both a player and a coach. He lost two championship games with the Fab Five, so it’d be cool if he finally won as a coach…but their best player was injured in the Big Ten tournament and is out for the rest of the season so the experts aren’t giving them much of a chance. :frowning:

1 Like

Yea I read about the injury. They will win a couple games I think, but then will go down. I’m always pulling for Chicagoans though so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

I just love rooting for an upset and a Cinderella story. The 5 seeds lose to the 12 seeds about 35% of the time and the 4 seeds lose to the 13 seeds about 15% of the time. Top 3 seeds are usually automatic in round 1.
I took Winthrop and Georgetown (both 12s)

1 Like

Oral Roberts just working over EVERYONEs brackets :joy:. Unbelievable; I love it

2 Likes

Well, this sucks for the VCU kids. :frowning:

1 Like

I feel bad for the VCU squad, but it will be interesting to see if Oregon capitalises on the extra day of rest and shows up in tip top form to take on Iowa, or if it deflates the energy.

Kinda like when an NFL team sits all the starters on the last week of the regular season bc they already have a bye. Sometimes the extra extra rest makes them invincible and other times it teaches them how to lose.

1 Like

LSU played a fantastic game for 35 minutes and Michigan’s Freshman of the Year center committed some pretty dumb fouls, but the Wolverines pulled away in the last few minutes to make it into the Sweet Sixteen. :relieved:

The stress next weekend is going to kill me. :grin:

1 Like

I know a lot of it can be written off since Covid changed the normal season structure so drastically that the rankings were bound to be off, but holy shit! So many upsets! Illinois was number 1 seed and they lost in game 2 :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Formula One starts next though! :racing_car:
Edit* haha! The emoji for a race car on iPhone is an open wheel red car. It looks like a Ferrari F1 car, on HMF it’s more like a NASCAR.

Will Ferrari have dug themselves out of the hole they were in last year?

Will Redbull have what it takes to challenge Mercedes? How will Checo be what they need to have 2 cars that can win races?

The midfield is a total toss up! How will Fernando Alonso do after his sabbatical, what about Vettel and Sainz at their new teams, and holy shit we have like 4 rookies !!!

Can anyone challenge Lewis Hamilton (were looking at you Bottas!)

So there’s a new UFC Heavyweight Champ and it is Francis Ngannou.

Also on the card, Sean O’Malley won, Tyrone Woodley lost AGAIN and Miranda Maverick got a statement win in the women’s flyweight division. Pretty good card.

2 Likes

I missed the fights last night but saw a highlight reel on ESPN. Looks like I missed a good one.

It’s funny bc Covid had originally left us with a lack of sporting events but yesterday between qually for the F1 and the men’s Sweet Sixteen games :basketball: I had to choose what not to watch. It’s nice to have that problem again instead of struggling to find sports on tv.

1 Like

Well, that was relatively stress-free. Florida State played…poorly and Michigan was in control the whole game to make it to the Elite Eight. :partying_face:

Now I’m just annoyed because Tuesday’s game is on TBS.

1 Like