Let's Talk Sports

Looks like I’m the only F1 fan here… but maybe some of you guys should convert. It was a great race and came down to the final lap with the guy in 2nd getting closer and closer in the last 10 laps. Then he passed but went off the track to do it (6 or 4 laps left) so he had to give the place back and tried to come back and pass again. Ultimately didn’t get the pass again, but it was all very exciting. Also fun to watch was a guy who was supposed to start 18th. His car died on the formation lap, but magically woke back up a few seconds later, so he got to race but had to start dead last bc of the situation. He came through the pack up to 5th. He (Checo Perez) may be my other guy to root for this year since I have always liked him and Ferrari look better than last year, but are not yet in the shape required to win a race.

1 Like

Mate Ngannou was absolutely phenomenal, what a beast! The strength that must have been behind that short left hook that put Miocic down was unbelievable. Miocic was an amazing champ, but Ngannou has that fantastic narrative with his journey to where he is right now. I have full confidence in him being able to finish Jon Jones, just need to wait if Jones is going to actually accept it; Dana’s comment about him heading back to 185 made me laugh my ass off though.

O’Malley definitely missed a trick not finishing that fight in the 1st round. What made me laugh was him throwing up a 0 when Bruce Buffer introduced him at the beginning, the guy thinks he got ripped off because he was injured during the match. Apparently Dominick Cruz has called him out and I think that would be a brilliant fight. I would definitely be backing Cruz there.

Not sure how long Woodley has left in the UFC. Credit to him for going out and earning FON, but that is 4 in a row now, so unless he’s willing to take a major pay cut, he may be off the roster. Not sure if he would go to Bellator or if he’d just retire altogether now.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely - This feels like the start of a new era in the heavyweight division. Ngannou looked a lot more refined than last time. Very patient, not rushing in, choosing his shots better etc. He even stuffed a takedown! Hopefully Ngannou can be a lot more active a champion too, since his fights have a higher pace and usually finish inside the first round. I have absolutely no love for Jon Jones so would really enjoy seeing him get knocked out by Ngannou. I’d definitely be up for that.

Yeah, O’Malley definitely needs a step up in competition after that. Really dominant performance. A fight with Cruz would be really interesting but I also think one with Cody Garbrant could be exciting since they’re both knockout artists and Cruz is more of a high volume cardio guy. If Cruz called him out though then I think a good challenge for both guys. Cruz just beat one of O’Malley’s training partners in Casey Kenney too, showing he can still hang with the younger contenders. I really think O’Malley’s arrogance would work against him in a matchup like that too - You can really tell he was desperate for that highlight reel, walk off KO because there was at least two occasions he could have finished the fight if he followed up with ground strikes, but he just turned his back and walked off despite the fight not being called. Interesting times…

1 Like

The NFL’s adding a 17th game. Because the Lions really want to be disappointing for an extra week each season. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is excellent news. I would have been fine with 2 less pressesson games to be honest but I like the way they did it where it’s inter-conference and AFC will host in odd years and NFC will host in even years. It’s easy to remember instead of something more complex.

Edit: the players % of revenue goes up a point and a half too which I like. Although the NFL players are still behind the NBA and MLB in terms of earning compared to revenue.

1 Like

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, shit, damn.

Basketball is a stupid game anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

UCLA played a scrappy game after starting slowly and Michigan just couldn’t get anything to fall late, including a couple of chances to win in the last minute. :disappointed:

1 Like

Yea that game was nuts. 2 points in the end. Close!!! I had UCLA but not with my heart just a bet to make it interesting.

Who do you like in the Final Four?
I’m thinking Gonzaga beats UCLA but Houston vs Baylor I have no idea.

1 Like

I don’t really know anything about Baylor or Houston, but I remember when Gonzaga was the school with the funny name that no one had ever heard of, so it’d be cool if they finally closed the deal.

2 Likes

Yea they certainly did something right with their basketball program since the 90s. Their first appearance wasn’t really all that long ago and then starting in the 00s it’s basically like clockwork. Would be cool to see them finally win.

2 Likes

Well this came out of fucking nowhere. This has the potential to be an absolute barnburner. I’m gonna go with Leon Edwards in this.

1 Like

5 rounds for a non title fight… Yes sir!!! I’m in.

That replay call that reversed the goal in the Man U game was terrible!!!

Blown calls are part of sport so I usually hate all replay rules, but replays are here to stay in some form or another. I feel they should be used to reverse obviously blown calls, not used to make ticky tac calls the VAR thinks the refs missed. They didn’t call that bc it’s not a foul!!! Let the men play. Holy fucking shit. I didn’t have any money on that game but if I did I would have been livid. If gambling goes so does viewership and most the sponsorship money with it. Christ! End of rant.

This cancelled goal at least has a background of a foul that had taken place indeed.
Live feed replays has shown it clearly.
But yesterday’s “offside” goal of Liverpool? This is ridiculous! I bet referees wanted to see an offside there, and made it like it was real. But it was a legitimate score.
VAR is all good, but this offside rule when one single hair can make a player out of game needs to be revised

Agree to disagree on that foul.

I heard about the offsides call you’re taking about, I didn’t get to see it though.

I’d love to see 5 or 6 matches between world class clubs played with either no off sides rule or a hockey style off sides rule, just to see what happens if it was changed. No pressure to make it official. Call it an experiment. They could use the Champions League teams who are eliminated. Match up the losers and have them play a a full 90 min as a friendly. With 5 or 6 matches you’d have enough data to decide if it’s at all a good idea or just garbage.

1 Like

Seems like an interesting enough circuit. Seems like its going to be fast. Hopefully its wide enough for some proper racing.

1 Like

I’m going so I’ll let you know next year! I’m hoping it’s a blast.

1 Like

Football revolution inbound.
European Super League announced created

1 Like

It’s almost like it’s a Champions league replacement but they don’t want to be disallowed from Champions league :joy:.

You can’t have it both ways.

To be honest I don’t know what to think about this.
It’s been said that all those clubs and players participating will be banned from everywhere of UEFA and FIFA competitions if they do play even a game in this League.
Just curious what the situation will evolve like

1 Like