Let's Talk Sports

Yea I have no idea. Stateside there is really only 1 league for each sport and the teams all agree that for the most part they will not play in any other league or against anyone else. The exceptions are few and far between and are mostly “friendlies” against a team in Japan or China or Europe. The last big one I remember was in the 90s when the Chicago Bulls went and played a game in France. We also don’t do relegation between levels in the same league. AAA baseball teams can never move to the MLB and AA team can never be relegated to
Single A ect.

I’ll be watching to see how this plays out. I always thought there should be one league for the best soccer teams in Europe, but I thought those teams should leave their own leagues behind and that you’d need about 30 of them to make it really work the way the NFL or NBA works, but I’m an American who’s used to the system we have here so I kinda wrote off my own idea as silly.

This will upset a lot of people and fans. Theres nothing concrete yet but being a founding club in this mess of a situation is already bad enough. The protesting online has already started and i read a lot of posts with fans being disgusted with their clubs, asking who they should support now. Its pretty effed up tbh. But they,ve done that to themselves. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Uefa and Fifa will act on their serious threads or if money will win and european fans will lose.

1 Like

The super-rich trying to substitute one bad competition (Champions League) with an even worse competition. It’s ridiculous. If they go through with it – probably after a lot of legal battles – I won’t be able to support my Spurs anymore. Was baffled to even see Tottenham in this founders club as they definately don’t put the “super” into “Super League”.

4 Likes

I’m upset too by ManUtd is among founders (as well as other clubs I support) but it won’t make me to turn them down. I hope they will find a way to reach agreement with head organizations.
I still can’t say something definite on the subject. It just needs time to see what’s gonna happen further

3 Likes

I’ve been a Tottenham-fan since 1989. But I just can’t support a team in such a league. If this ever happens.

1 Like

Tottenham can’t even beat the other 5 English clubs week in week out in the domestic league and cups, let alone the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

We’re gonna be knocked out in the first round every single time, so I fail to see how it’s going to be a huge money maker. Levy & ENIC with illusions of grandeur when the see pound signs as usual.

1 Like

This league is planned to be permanent. With no relegations and promotions.
That’s the main advantage for founders and a huge fail to everybody else.
Like it will kill any competition and sports principles

Going to be even worse then, can’t even get knocked out to be able to concentrate on other competitions, just going to be permanently stuck to the bottom of the table.

I’ve always wanted to see my club become one of the elite, but not like this.

2 Likes

If this goes ahead its going to pay loads to the members of the super league. Easily more than the premier league can pay you. You could fund a new stadium with it. :wink:
Thats the whole deal. Money.

Its the season of greed after all. :laughing:

So do they want to be able to play in both Super League and their home domestic leagues and possibly qualify for Champions League?

Purely as an outside observer i think they should be allowed to form their own league if they want but then their own leagues should be able to boot them out. If they don’t want the be booted then they should stay where they are.

They acutally want to stay in their home leagues as well. And with all the money from the planned Super League, they easily would defend a top spot every year.

I think it’s pretty simple: If you want your own league – go with it! But don’t expect to make friends with this and don’t expect to still have a chance to compete in another league.

2 Likes

Uefa/Fifa already threatening to kick those clubs out of the current CL season + players of that Super League are not allowed to participate in world cups and eurocups.

2 Likes

Well then now it’s a who’s cock is bigger contest :joy:. This will be fun to watch play out :popcorn:

1 Like

Of course that’s their right. But it will be very interesting (?) to see all those lawsuits. Teams suing Uefa, Uefa suing the teams, individual players suing clubs and the Uefa, TV-rights-holders suing everybody, …

1 Like

Still don’t see it happening to be honest

The domestic leagues cannot kick them out though. I mean imagine the premiership without the big six. It would be suicide.

Don’t fully agree. Premier league is the only league who would still have a bunch of noteworthy teams. Not so much for the other leagues

Sure, its still watchable and they would still have a whole lot of talent in the league. But i would argue those six clubs are the ones most shown on the telly and they are the ones who bring in the big money with their views and their huge number of followers. They are far ahead in drawing in views and money.

Oh for sure. It’s ridiculous anyway. My point was more that there would be even less left in the Spanish & Italian leagues in comparison

1 Like

So does Premier League share television revenue equally among the teams even if the viewership is lopsided? The NFL does that and did it well before other leagues. The NBA has moved towards mostly that model and the MLB continues to let each team have their own tv deals. As a spectator of all leagues the shared tv revenue setup makes for far better competition bc the way the NFL does it is that they have not just a salary cap but also a salary floor. In baseball you can find 25 guys who all suck and pay them all the league minimum and you will suck forever.