Lighting Discussion

I still dont get it, what kinda design decision it was. The game looks freaking beautiful but the damn bloom and lens flares are fucking dumb

2 Likes

And… we’re gonna have to make do with the lighting for HITMAN 3 since it’s going to be DX12 only, which 3dMigoto is not compatible with.
I wish someone with more understanding of shaders than me was able to modify the code to revert the “realistic eye adjustment” effect that was introduced, and the blinding whites and overcrushed blacks.

1 Like

Let’s settle this for once:

Best Paris lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy

0 voters

Best Sapienza lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy v1
  • Legacy v2 (current)

0 voters

Best Marrakesh lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy

0 voters

Best Bangkok lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy

0 voters

Best Colorado lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy

0 voters

Best Hokkaido lighting?
  • Original
  • GOTY
  • Legacy

0 voters

5 Likes

Best lighting is without that awful bloom which seems hasn’t been killed for HITMAN 3 and it will spoil all the graphics and look of the game

7 Likes

I haven’t played the original and can’t remember GOTY, so sorry, but I can’t vote.

1 Like

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that one of the screenshots was uploaded incorrectly. It is a very minor fix, admittedly, but I have now fixed the issue. Thank you.

@Danger_dog_guy_7

Made some screenshots that could help clarify the poll for people who may not have multiple patches on hand to compare between. :stuck_out_tongue:

Paris

Sapienza

Marrakesh

Bangkok

Colorado

Hokkaido

16 Likes

i just need them to fix Sapienza and i’m good :yum: love all the new Legacy versions except Sapienza

also new-Marrakesh but i dont mind that one as much as new-Sapienza

9 Likes

I just hope the IO staff doesn’t confuse our complaints about lighting with the skybox, IF they do anything with our feedback to start with. In my opinion it’s not only the lighting in, for ex, Sapienza that’s fucked, it’s also the skybox/backdrop. That beautiful clear sky with only a few clouds in the background was also part of the experience. Even if they’d refine that ugly ass lighting, the skybox is still lackluster.

9 Likes

From poking around with 3dmigoto on HITMAN and HITMAN 2, it seems like in Glacier, the busier the skyboxes, the worse the bloom gets, as the clouds seem to be treated as almost a kind of “light source” that goes away once you turn off the clouds.

This means the busy Sapienza skybox creates more bloom than the original one because it’s more saturated with white clouds that reflect (or emit) light than the clearer skybox from before.

So changing the skybox back would theoretically also reduce the bloom a small bit, so that would get us even closer to better lighting.

9 Likes

Post the ice bar area of Paris as reference.

I really hope someone gets the anti bloom tool to work with HIII and DX12.

4 Likes

GOTY surprisingly has the least bloom of the 3, with OG having a bit more “shine”.
But definitely Legacy is out of control.

13 Likes

Okay I voted wrong on several of them by mistake now. :joy: Can’t fix the vote.

3 Likes

Quick comparison shot between the game and the newest PSVR trailer. The skybox remains the same. Truly untouchable™.

9 Likes

Ouch, the level still has its green tint too, and the lighting looks hardly different whatsoever.
Very disappointing.

2 Likes

You are reviewing a massively downgraded PSVR version of the game, wait for the final result on PS4, guys seriously :joy:

3 Likes

While you may be right as far as the lighting goes, I have no reason to believe the color grading and skyboxes would be different on PSVR to normal releases on other platforms.

It’s possible this doesn’t show the final look of the level because it’s an earlier build (although how much can 13 days change?), but I’m leaning towards this being pretty much what we will be seeing.

5 Likes

well hopefully they apply that bloom removal to Mumbai like we’ve seen

1 Like

This doesn’t show the final look of the level on other platforms, that’s for sure. Don’t expect major skyboxes changes however.

I just hope they added settings in the menu to disable some effects and they’ve fixed the fog bug (which doesn’t seem to be the case, because on Dartmoor it’s all over the place).

3 Likes

Really glad to see these documented changes up, something needs to be done about the lighting and object bloom/glare intensity throughout H3, especially on the older maps.

I’ve flogged this image before, but there’s really one too many instances that evoke reactions like below where the lighting has hurt image clarity and does a disservice to each map’s visual legacy (don’t mind the lame pun).

6 Likes

Click hide results and you can change it.