Map lightning/bloom discussion

I kinda doubt there is a “lightning” director.

There is probably someone responsible for the Interface that designers use to set the map look. And even if that person leaves there must be documentation as obviously the new maps managed to archieve what they want them to look like.

The designers who use this interface are not the one who programmed this interface.

1 Like

We just need Stefania Hernandez (aka the Lighting boss) to fix Sapienza :pray:

She didn’t work on the base sapienza map according to artstation.

5 Likes

What game(s) is/are these?
Latest Mafia or anything else?

I’m not gonna lie, trawling the web to find individual developers and working out if they did or did not work on a level goes way beyond normal behaviour.

Can we go back to just discussing the lighting without idek the weird stalking?

9 Likes

For the record I feel like Sapienza is like a wikipedia edit war between two people, both want things their way so they’ll wait a few patches and ‘fix’ it their way.

I must admit though, crushing all levels down into 60GB probably came with some compromises, it’s just a case of working out whether or not it’d be worth it to change things for one level in particular instead of making gradual engine improvements that affect all levels.

5 Likes

I want to point out that this vote is likely incorrect.

First, here’s the vote:

This picture was posted as the original lighting before the vote. It was much later that it was pointed out it was edited.

Not to mention that another edited picture has been used as a comparison right after the vote. And unlike in this thread, it never mentioned that it was edited.

I changed my vote after I realized how the actual OG lighting looked.

7 Likes

Mafia 3. Hard to see online, but when you play it, its blurry, looks washed out and grey in grey. Reshade gave it vibrant colors, clear sky and removed all washing effects entirely. Its a mirical. I wonder if Reshade can fix Hitman 3 too.

2 Likes

Maybe the simplest explanation is IOI thinks it looks better and it’s their game.

4 Likes

Not to be contrarian, but I like the original lighting specifically WITHOUT the quoted color grading. The leaves in particular are a huge improvement imo since they look like actual fauna, rather than something from a fantasy world. Maybe it’s because I’m a sucker for the “filmic look” but I prefer the reduced color contrast in pretty much every level.
H2’s levels always seemed to “pop”, but to me never felt as “real” as what I played back in 2016. However, messing around with gamma+reshade I got subtle results I was actually pretty happy with. Maybe it’s just the insane bloom, maybe its all in my head, I’ve spent far too much time trying to figure out this crap :smile:

Paris

Sapienza

Marrakesh

Colorado

Hokkaido

Miami

Columbia

3 Likes

Current progress on the shading mod:

Thats what you wanted right? Am I doing it right?

Maybe but they’ve changed it before back in both 2018 and 2019 because everyone thought it looked bad.

Yeesh… And I initially thought they came up with some groundbreaking compression method that would allow to retain quality while reducing file size. Oh well…

Damn peasants… :laughing: (kidding oc; I´m actually happy for the size reduction - if that persists - but wouldn´t mind sacrificing the disk space cause, you know, it´s Hitman :man_shrugging: )

Which one was the removal of that initial horrendous filter/tint: still 2018 or 2019?

Back on Sapienza - I didn´t manage to play it enough before the patch, but was it this bad in some of the interiors??? (upper pic is H3 now, lower is H2)

I mean sure, it´s their game, but wtf? I know interior lighting in this mission has been a long-time issue, but this is a whole new level. Or am I missing something in the settings?

13 Likes

Strangely enough I literally just played Sapienza and did the therapist method.

It’s horrendous inside that room.

5 Likes

Removal of the tint was 2019.

1 Like

Ah, cool, for a moment I thought my memory was failing me.

After poking a bit around Hokkaido, I have to say I have slightly mixed feelings. It´s a tad bit darker than in H2 (as are probably all the H1 maps), and occasionally feels a bit blurry/foggy, though I suppose that´s mainly due to the lowered textures and LOD. Some things feel a little better, some a little worse. The volcano in particular took quite a hit in that regard… Trees are more rich though and water looks nicer.

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

5 Likes

The patch lowered the artificial sharpening post-processing I’m pretty sure, which I personally am VERY happy about, but it might be why you think it’s blurrier now. Could always add sharpening through your GPU control panel if you like.

3 Likes

Problem is I didn´t start playing H1 maps in H3 until three days ago, so I have no clue what got changed by the patch in terms of visuals aside from Sapienza getting slightly tinted (which now got me supremely paranoid about the visuals in general), and can only compare with H2 :confused:

I´ll give the sharpening a go if I feel like I need it, thanks for the tip. I would definitely want them to revert the Sapienza change though, and that interior lighting needs fixing no matter what.

1 Like

What sharpening setting are you using with H2? It had a setting choice, unlike H3, which launched with what seemed like “high” on by default. Excess sharpening really looks horrible to me, so I was thrilled to load the game up post patch and see it toned down. I don’t know why they don’t just bring back the settings option though.

2 Likes

Moderate. I just tried different settings of it in H2, and having it off seems like what H3 has (comparing the volcano that is).

2 Likes