Map lightning/bloom discussion

2016 skybox is still in the files of H3. Meaning it is probably as simple as swapping it out.
Although knowing IO it would never be a setting (we don’t even have basic settings for bloom :frowning: )

I will say, I’m glad to be on PC, because recent modding advances are absolutely groundbreaking. I wouldn’t be surprised if a “better Sapienza” mod gets released in the not too distant future.

How absolutely, absolutely beautiful. :cry:

17 Likes

Hmm, might be just because I´m used to the GOTY version, but - strictly based on the screenshots - I kinda prefer it over the OG, which seems a bit dull here, whereas GOTY is more colourful and vibrant. But screenshots can be misleading… I would fancy experiencing the OG clouds though…

Now this is more like it!!! :open_mouth: Absolutely gorgeous! God I hope someone will eventually make a mod for it (and the other H1 maps). Just like you, I don´t expect IO making it a settings feature… :persevere:

8 Likes

Full Disclosure, these screenshots have been color graded in Photoshop (I didn’t go nuts! I was very careful not to push anything to extremes. Wanted to avoid the same mistakes that are present in the later versions of the level).

BUT, combined with the rolling clouds and the lack of any kind of “tint” or extreme contrast, I think this is the best version of the level even before grading. Adding just a subtle push to colors and contrast are enough to work wonders.

Well now you kinda ruined it… :joy:

But yes, agreed, this seems like it would be the best version.

1 Like

I mean, I’d still take ungraded OG over any of the later versions honestly.
It just looks the most “honest” and is the cleanest version of the level.

Graded/Ungraded comparison:

Anyway this is getting on a tangent :stuck_out_tongue:

meme

1 Like

im gonna be honest, before this comparison picture i went to Sapienza seeing if the lighting was different and i could not tell any difference.

every iteration since the Green Sapienza fix has all looked the same to me. and i think the only way i’ll ever notice or care is if they revert it back to the pre-GOTY 2016 version tbh

3 Likes

Hmm, I’d definitely go for the bottom version. The OG one feels like it has a grey tint or something. Just doesn’t capture the beauty of a sunny day with clear skies…

Lol, perhaps we should take this to a complete new thread, just so IO really know how beefed up we are about it? :joy:

1 Like

Anyone else find it ironic that the file size was reduced yet one patch adds Patch size: Between 2-3 GB on all platforms.

A few patches in and it will be the same size lmao

1 Like

Do patches affect file size? I thought the download replaced files already in the game.

If they didn’t why would they tell you the size of the patch. It wouldn’t matter if it replaced current files.

patches are always that big when they add content

i know youre joking but this is interesting to think about ngl. i forgot the size of H2 but it was around 150GB. right now H3 is sitting at about 60GB.

if we were to keep getting 3GB patches, then it would take 30 patches to get back to the size of H2. and assuming we only got one full year of patches (one patch a month), H3 wouldn’t even come close to H2’s size :flushed: well maybe a little close, but still not exceeding 100GB

1 Like

Did another quick dive into Sapienza in H3 and H2 to see how I feel about the lighting change, and I can´t help it, it´s too dark for me at moments. Like wearing fucking sun glasses… (also just noticed the changed trees lol)

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

H3

H2

I don’t think you can accurately judge the common opinion based on complaints online. I appreciate the changes, I think the higher contrast and color suits the level very well. Granted I haven’t played it today yet, but the GOTY and H2 upgrades were very welcome and look much better IMO.

As someone else said, the only lighting change I dislike is Colorado. Too many sunset maps, and the overcast grey fit the setting.

4 Likes

Hmmm …

“Common opinion” or “majority of playerbase” is a terrible way to judge issues like this as they become a lot more apparent upon extended playtime or keen observation, which is extremely unlikely for most players.

For people who actually spend many consecutive hours in a single sitting completing challenges/mastery or just considerable repeated play, it’s quite clear which lighting is better.

The reason I bring up bloom and lighting effects along with the color grading and skyboxes is that the issues go hand in hand. It was clear that the aesthetic decisions were going towards the current look from the very first change to the level in the GOTY update.

And as I’ve repeated many times before, for players who prefer the current lighting effects, this could be very easily solved with settings that can be individually adjusted to a player’s preference. This almost completely eliminates any sort of contention over visuals, as the player can simply adjust anything to their liking.

I am not going to shut up about this until there is either some compromise made by IO in the form of additional settings or global lighting changes. I feel very strongly about this because I know that unlike many fan-requested features and suggestions (most of which would be extremely difficult if not outright impossible to implement), the easiest things to implement by far would be additional graphics settings.

10 Likes

Because the patch sizes prepares users for waiting times or costs if you pay by volume.

The patches mostly replace stuff.

5 Likes

In my opinion, Sapienza needs a grading change and bloom fix. And I said fix because in current state, it is broken. Some people say that it’s not annoying because it’s here and there a few seconds, but no. You only have to go to the mansion to see that the implementation is completely broken everywhere.

Otherwise I like the other changes introduced with the GOTY patch in 2017. The OG version feels off in some ways (it’s not warm, it’s bland and boring), like the OG Marrakech. All versions had some flaws, H3 could be the best with a better light management, a better color grading implementation and a bloom slider. The final hope will be the Ray Tracing patch :pray:

But creative choices are subjective, it is better to hope for a mod rather than an official patch to be honest.

6 Likes

I mean, I’ve done that over and over for 4+ years and I think Sapienza looks better now that it did then, thanks to much more advanced lighting, contrast and SSAO. You’re very confident your opinion is somehow objective, but it’s not.

I played Sapienza tonight post patch. I think it looks great. A poll with 41 voters doesn’t change my mind. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t like the bloom and lighting problems when you go through a doorway and you’re hit by a nuke.

But I also prefer the general look of Sapienza more now than back in the beginning. There is more contrast, things look more vibrant, the sky looks more appealing. I’d just like that without the doorways blinding me.

People can have different preferences here, there isn’t an objective best look.

5 Likes

If put aside the very OG look is indeed washed out and not as fancy. But what I value about it is exactly that. If everything is getting max contrast in the way every scene needs a white and a black spot, you can easily run into an Abso style. Which is not bad and can very well fit the game theme. But I liked how OG Sapi, Paris and maybe Hokkaido had this sober atmosphere that did not thrill you too much before you do the thrilling part of the mission.

Either way, if we get a mod that reduces some things like bloom and so on I am happy. :slight_smile: Until then, I am not unhappy but I look forward some personal changes.

11 Likes