Map lightning/bloom discussion

12 Likes

Honestly some maps have a gorgeous lighting like landslide and Colorado and mabey Hokkaido

1 Like

I’m outside right now, it’s a bright sunny day, and the only thing it does is remind me that on days like these, there is no such thing like the semi-piss tint they’ve covered Sapienza with :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes

I’ve checked up on it again and I think it’s just a bug. Sometimes it looks exactly like the launch look sometimes it’s way darker.

Absolute realism shouldn’t be the goal IMO. I like some artistic flair. Also game developers, and IOI definitely, tend to mimic films rather than reality.

2 Likes

Thats all fun and ok, but games like Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted and Tomb Raider show how artistic flair mixed with reality create stunning, unique games. Hitman looks amazing as it is, but the blur, bloom and “filters” applied to it make it look worse than it could. Just like my Mafia 3 reshade example. Go look at it. Sure, the original could be taken as artistic freedom, but if you take a look at how good it could look, thats stunning, and so far above the original lightning.

4 Likes

I mean, these things are subjective. I was very annoyed by RDR2 because the TAA and sharpening were so extreme it looked all pasty and processed. So people tend to be bugged by different things. I get that the heavy bloom bothers some of you a lot, I wish it had a toggle for you, but I’d probably keep it on personally.

3 Likes

i was watching a VR stream and i noticed that the sky in Whittleton Creek is a much deeper blue?

i dont know if this is because of the decreased bloom in VR or what, but i prefer this deep blue sky much more than the base game. the contrast is so nice

21 Likes

Really? I’ve only loaded it three times since the patch and it’s been darker (yellow-tinted) every time. It would be great if it was a bug though, cause that would at least mean they will fix it. I was thinking maybe something got messed up as part of doing the new background picture. Wish IO would gives some info on that, just to know why it’s there and what to expect…

Artistic flair is perfectly fine and IO do it extremely well, both in WoA and in their older games, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of visibility or visual comfort. I love how every map in WoA has a unique look to it, but sunny maps like Sapienza, Miami, Whittleton or Haven are definitely better off without any tints/filters imo because the blue sky, especially when coupled with the sea and colour palette of houses or trees, just creates a great artistic flair on its own (as seen on the pic Cake posted).

But as you say, it’s a subjective thing and the best thing would be just to have settings options for all the visuals so that everyone could toggle and modify them to their liking.

I have occasional issues with the darker contrast/shadows as well. Yesterday in Hawke’s Bay, I almost felt in some rooms like I was playing Splinter Cell, only didn’t have the goggles to make up for it…

Some of the interiors are outright cases of messed up lighting though. The examples of Caruso’s villa where light is lacking where it should be, or the Hawke’s Bay garage where there’s a bloom effect where it just really shouldn’t be, have nothing to do with art and need to be fixed :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I think the legacy maps definitely need a pass over them. Some areas are quite dark and high contrast, going into deep blacks. I’m not super technical but I think increasing the reflectivity of the surfaces tends to make the area look darker.

The Marakesh marketplace, The Author in particular seem to suffer for me.

Whittleton creek is also a bit much in the saturation and black shadows. If you wear the red deluxe suit it’s very overexposed. I can see they are going for that vintage poster look but I personally think it needs pulling back with the updated lighting.

5 Likes

Keep in mind I’ve only played the ET and not really dug in but sometimes it looks fine sometimes it don’t. I noticed that Silvio’s room looks a dark blue. It’s kind of atmospheric but it makes no sense for a room with so many windows.

I don’t want them to start a slippery slope of changing Hitman 2 levels. I’d just like adjustable bloom.

Oh my god this is beautiful. LIke, really, really damn beautiful. If this is what the game could look like without bloom, we need a mod/patch as soon as possible. There can be noone at IOI seriously saying it would look better.

Of course, because TAA is shit and NEVER looks good in any game, or any other use. It is pure garbage and should be banned and I have no clue why Rockstar made TAA so buggy. If you have it off, the world gets glitchey.

But most importantly, its a setting. Youre not forced to see the world through this. And what I was refering to is the things as a whole, not included effects like chromatic abberation etc. The colors, clear sky, foggy nights, it looks so real yet artistic. And Hitman should be like that too. Instead, they have this filter over everything you cant even turn off.

3 Likes

Why your second screen is so dark ?

Edit : got it, because of the camera angle.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I was playing the ET yesterday and it was the same. I mean sometimes it´s fine (usually when looking at the ocean), but sometimes it´s overtly yellowish (sandy/beige surfaces and colours) or greenish (sky edges).

It´s way too dark. There´s supposed to be light coming in from the windows, but isn´t. And the changed (weaker) fire doesn´t help either.

I´m all in for the adjustable bloom (and other stuff) or hope that someone will make a mod in the future that would allow for getting rid of some the effects and making it more “clean”, but for now I really wish IO would make the legacy levels visually more faithful to how they were in H2 (and more consistent with H3 levels).
@Ecco is right about the darkness and high contrast (no clue if it´s related to the reflectivity or not). It just feels like they didn´t really adjust the legacy levels appropriately to the H3 lighting changes (probably the same like with H1 levels when H2 launched), cause I don´t feel like any of the H3 levels have problems in this area.

Was playing Miami yesterday, and again, there´s a slightly higher contrast to it, especially noticable in the shadowy/dark areas. I genuinely dread the 6 (9) levels I still have to go through…

H3

H2

On a side note, it really pains me how the Miami skyscrapers got so noticably downgraded :persevere:

H3

H2

EDIT: As did Mumbai´s… :sob:

EDIT 2: As noticable in the previous pictures, Mumbai´s clouds got a facelift for the worse as well for whatever reason… :slightly_frowning_face:

EDIT 3: Gonna have to retcon myself here. When going to this spot at the very beginning of the mission, the clouds are - thankfully - the same as H2 (whereas my initial screenshot was from later in the mission, after killing Vanya and the Maelstrom), so apparently they move/change during the mission? Didn´t really notice that before… :confused: Attaching a 3rd screenshot for comparison.

8 Likes

I hate TAA too, but as you say modern games are so designed around it you can’t really turn it off without the gaming looking weird usually. I always appreciate the setting though, since in theory someday with 8k or something I wouldn’t need it. When I use nvidia DSR to run an old game at 2880p I usually don’t need any AA at all.

Anyway, I agree there should be a bloom setting, even if I personally am mostly fine with it.

1 Like

The current lighting is…

• A total garbage
  • Not bad, but could use some fix
  • Broken(bug)
  • Fine

0 voters

1 Like

I can´t really choose one option, since for me it´s a combination of fine (H3 levels, though that´s also because there´s no previous version to compare them to), not bad but in need of fixing (most legacy levels outdoor areas, but it could also apply to H3), as well as total garbage if not outright broken/bugged (certain legacy outdoor areas, particularly Sapienza post-patch, and most legacy interiors and/or dark/shadowy areas).

Speaking of which, here´s another example of garbage or perhaps maybe bugged lighting (and I´m considering posting it in the bug section along with maybe Caruso´s room). On the filmset in Mumbai, the stage lights don´t turn on, making the picture on the screen next to the stage very much invisible:

11 Likes

I’m still baffled at the removal of FXAA in graphical options for Hitman 2. It never came back either.

2 Likes

Neither did the dynamic sharpening, which really made the game look clearer in my case.

1 Like

It was during my playthrough of the deceivers that I discovered the Sapi lighting is equally as bad, if not worse, than the H2 lighting. Shocking.

This is on PlayStation 5 btw. Enhanced lighting my ass.

21 Likes