Excessive bloom confirmed

Before:

After:

31 Likes

I had to forward this to the Hitman meme thread

8 Likes

As far as I know, the lighting is the same on all platforms

2 Likes

Those moments are designed to simulate going from a dark area to a bright area. In real life your eyes adjust for a moment as well. Not saying it looks great necessarily, but it’s by design and most games nowadays use it and I doubt it ever changes.

Would certainly be nice of them to offer a bloom setting like most (PC) games do, but I bet having zero bloom would introduce its own problems.

3 Likes

Many of these simulations are less about simulating the human eye and more simulating the lense of a camera and the sensor of a camera. Hollywood and such games made us believe what visual effects of the eye are like more than we believe our own eyes. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The same way they want us to believe that everything in Latin America is orange and bluish-grey in Eastern Europe? :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Don’t give them ideas :rofl: or we will have the Mexico filter all over Santa Fortuna in the next update

I think this thread now intertwines a lot with the hitman memes thread.

And I think developers should leave their houses now and then, or at least open their window blinds. And stop watching too many cliche movies.

6 Likes

I agree 100% they simulate cameras more than eyes, I’ve said that myself. I just think the pics above showing “light explosions” when going from dark to very bright is also a real life thing. Open your curtains in a dark room on a sunny day and you’re gonna be blinded for a few seconds.

But that is not very much how it is ingame.

47 does not get used to the bright outside unless he actually steps outside. While he also sometimes gets not used to the darkness in some interiors. :frowning:

These effects in themselves aren’t bad, and they’re correctly simulating a real life eye, the issue is more how bloom and exposure combine to create extremely bright scenes, I know for a fact that it is quite hard to control and you easily end up with results similar to what we have in the game, but they can reduce the effect by simply reducing these post-processing settings, or allow us to remove bloom via the menu settings like Hitman Absolution allowed to do

1 Like

Most PC games let you remove bloom, but in my experience it screws with the design too bad and ends up looking worse. Ideally there would be a bloom intensity slider or something, but I can’t even recall one game that has that.

In the case of Absolution, bloom was almost a necessity to turn off as it was making every white surfaces completely blinding from the sky to just a white text on a random magazine

1 Like

Played some Hokkaido contracts tonight and the main room in the morgue (where you can start the level) isn’t really red anymore, but has more normal lighting. I restarted half a dozen times and it was the same each time. Was this a glitch or a change? Is it like that for anyone else? Looked pretty bad. This is PC on ultra settings.

3 Likes

I think it’s a glitch

Oh interesting, it happens constantly for me. Or maybe did, was not there after the last patch.

The morgue for me is still red…I’m on PS4.

1 Like

I’ll load it up again tonight, maybe was a one-off or maybe is a PC thing? It’s odd.

1 Like

I found a really good spot on the Isle of Sgail where if you look straight at the “blend in” spot for the suit of armor… Well, this happens:

It starts out like a small and normal looking bloom/lens flare if a bit too red for that spot, and then just keeps slowly growing and growing until it takes up almost the entire screen.

14 Likes

This is what my sniper reticles look like half of the time…

1 Like

Looks like we’re about to finally free ourselves with color grading and bloom :grin:

HMF Modding Thread - Color Grading/Lighting Tools
I’ll be monitoring this thread very closely, those folks are making awesome progress.

Ezra Berg’s neon flannel will soon be no more!

17 Likes