Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

He probably will. That’s just how you made movies by the early 2000s, with subtle, yet not-so-subtle, sexism.

2 Likes

Spider-Man No Way Home is fantastic.

SPOILERS

Spoilers

SPOILERS
Also, where do I start?!

Well, I’m impressed with how fun and nostalgic this film is with the inclusion of nearly every villain from the old film franchises. Each actor did a great job, especially Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe, and Jamie Foxx.

Really glad I watched Spider-Man 2 last night, since it gave great context to and enhanced Doc Ock’s character in this film, knowing where he started out.

Gosh, they really pulled off a multi-villain movie, finally. The movie was pretty slowly-paced in the first half, but the reunion of all these villains, and them finding out which are from similar universes was pretty sweet.
That scene in which they all reminisce about how they were each “killed” by Spider-Man, and were set to be sent back was dark.

And this movie was Dark! Not all the time, but the stakes got very high in multiple points, with some dark consequences for some.

And yes, the other spider-actors appear in this, to the fantastic rejoicing of the audience. This was such an awesome movie-viewing experience. The nostalgia, the joy, the perfection of how they dropped the floor out from under us with Aunt May’s death, only to cheer us up right after with Andrew and Tobey showing up.
chef’s kiss

And that ending sequence… It’s bittersweet.
And that post- credits bit… a damn trailer for Doctor Strange 2? Whoa, sign me up for that asap.

Watch it. Watch this movie, if you’re at all a Spider-Man fan. It’s such a fun ride. (And is partly a Doctor Strange 1.5 film, if ya like that too.)

I’m calming down from my hype at the moment and I’ll agree.

I thought No Way Home was a really great film, but that’s because it’s supported by the previous two films’ developments as well as some events from the two previous franchises. As a stand-alone thing, I’d say Into the Spider-Verse is the definitive Spider-Man movie to watch if you want a good time, no other strings attached.

9 Likes
  • Samuel Ramuel’s Human Spider Second Sequel
  • Home trilogy Mr Ditkovich has had enough of not paying rent AKA Samuel Ramuel’s unexpected third sequel AKA Extraordinary humanoid arachnid’s unexpected second sequel
  • Samuel Ramuel’s Human Spider Second the sequel
  • Samuel Ramuel’s The Human spider
  • Extraordinary humanoid arachnid
  • Home trilogy part 1
  • Home trilogy possibly not making it in time for dinner
  • Extraordinary Humanoid Arachnid fights studio meddling again
2 Likes

Spider Man: No Way Home

The Epic Conclusion to the “Home Trilogy” of Tom Hollands Spider Man. In a lot of ways this conclusion rights a lot of the issues Tom Hollands portrayal had making him become the Peter Parker we know traditionally and leads into the next film that explores the trials and tribulations of an adult Parker struggling between College, Relationships, and Spider Man.

This entry celebrates three generations of films which I felt was balanced in a way where everyone is satisfied. That’s about all I’ll say about No Way Home cause it’s one of those films I recommend seeing with a Audience in a safe manner despite the current circumstances. It comes close to End Game level hype and I left the theater satisfied.

8 Likes

Is this one trying to say “Spider-Man 3”?

Or, is this one?

Honestly, this is quite a language you’ve developed here, and I (think I) understand most of it, but I’m lost with these two… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Second sequel - The second sequel of Samuel Ramuel’s Human Spider trilogy, as in the third movie.

Second the sequel - The Second AKA sequel of the first movie of Samuel Ramuel’s Human Spider trilogy, as in the second movie.

Pretty much right.

3 Likes

I love that Empire can finally regard video games as a worthwhile visual medium. I hope they continue to cover the latest releases. Also is that Unreal 5? Because that Chris Pratt (He’s so cool) looks so realistic.

3 Likes

Matrix Resurrection.

Alrighty, so Matrix is back and while it progresses the series seemingly after The Matrix Online with it respecting it’s legacy. The film is very meta and self aware. While this isn’t inherently wrong since the way that is used early in the film makes you wonder if Thomas Anderson is just a mentally ill software developer. The beginning portion of the movie is arguably the better half, but I can’t quite say that about the latter.

Unfortunately it hasn’t done anything new for the series other then continue a story 20 years later. Don’t get me wrong the movie isn’t terrible, but it all feels like you’ve seen it all already with the last three films.

I’ll reiterate the film isn’t bad it’s just one of those turn off your mind for a bit and enjoy some popcorn type of movies.

5 Likes

All I want to know, and this can be answered with a spoiler blur, is if we were deceived in the lead-up to the film’s release and Hugo Weaving does make a surprise appearance in the film as Agent Smith? If not, if there is no Smith, or there is but played by a different actor, then I could not be less interested in this movie, and I’ll wait for John Wick 4 to see Keanu’s next outing.

1 Like

Yes and no. Smith/Hugo Weaving are in the movie, but Hugo Weaving is only used through stock footage. There is a explanation for this that basically boils down to the following.

Spoilers obviously.

• Old Simulation Terminated along with old Architect

• Machines resurrect Trinity and Neo after their deaths.

• New Simulation is made with a New Archtect who uses Neo’s memory’s as a basis with the goal to keep Trinity and Neo close but not close enough to exploit their emotions.

• New simulation meant new faces, but it’s a little convoluted since Thomas Anderson has a new face, but Neo still see’s the old face and same goes for Trinity.

• Agent Smith is still connected to Neo, but is unleashed again after Neo is red pilled. Only difference is since it’s a new simulation Agent Smith has a new face/actor.

2 Likes

Psh, I figured it was something like that.

1 Like

Don’t Look Up

A satirical comedy/disaster about a comet coming towards Earth, threatening all life on the planet…and the powers that be along with most of the world basically ignoring it and not giving a fuck. Definitely recommend this one. :+1:

9 Likes

Second Venom.
One-time movie. To watch and forget next morning. Nothing special and catchy.
Original film was better. Well, okay, those fun Eddie-Venom dialogues still there but much less and less of a quality. They might’ve saved the whole movie, but…

4 Likes

Just finished Don’t Look Up, though it was going to be a serious film, then I though it was just going to be quirky. It turned out extremely funny, held up by a great cast and scary close to how we handle threats.

7 Likes

Yeah, it reminded me of the government’s sluggish response to Covid. And the ending was a realistic surprise. I thought the President’s group would end up accidentally destroying the comet and saving the world, but nope.

4 Likes

Yesterday I saw the Matrix Resurrections. Enjoyable film but not as good or even entertaining as the trilogy, but it was a fun watch.

3 Likes

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard.
Fun silly movie. Or silly fun movie.
Original film was better however same silly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Matrix Resurrections

Not very good I’m afraid. A lot of the action seemed really tightly framed, making it hard to tell what was going on. What was clear didn’t feel that impressive.
While there are a few cool looking shots in the film, the film as a whole doesn’t look impressive to me… in fact, a lot of it looked kind of cheap.

I liked a lot of the concepts and ideas, for instance the introduction of synthient allies, and the ability of programs to take a sort of physical form, but I didn’t think it was all that well executed.

Jessica Henwick’s “Bugs” was a great addition to the series though. Really liked her character. I also liked most of the real world stuff…

Eh. I didn’t hate the movie, but it’s very meh.

6 Likes

Saw Disney’s Encanto with my nephew and niece yesterday, and now I need the meme artists of the world to make me a mashup and transform the Family Madrigal song into a Family Delgado song.

4 Likes

I’m saying it

Elf is the best Christmas movie. No contest.
(Subjectively, of course)

The family and I watch it every year, and it’s so funny and heartwarming. Every time.

In summary: It’s about a human called Buddy who was raised in the North Pole, and takes a trip to New York as a naive adult to reconnect with his real father, who is also on the Naughty List.

Will Ferrell’s Buddy has superb naivety, innocence, and wonder at the realities of New York and how the season of Christmas is taken for granted. It’s so fun to see. He really goes for it, and it’s really believable.

The sets in the intro with all the other elves using forced perspective is really cool. Great design there.

And the comedy is top-notch involving Buddy. From the montages near the start at being scared of taxis, congratulating a coffee shop for “the best coffee in the world”, or trying to befriend a ferocious raccoon. Or, the scene with the mall Santa, disgusted at the “impostor”. Or eating a sugar-infested plate of spaghetti with M&Ms, marshmallows, maple syrup and Pop Tarts. He does it with such joy and childish amusement that you can’t help but enjoy it.

And fine, some of you don’t think Die Hard is a Christmas movie? Okay, well this one definitely does. Covering morals of being open, caring, and appreciative of other people, unity, discovering the wonder of the world around us, and not being afraid to believe in things that inspire hope, even if they don’t seem real.

Edit: there is this one scene where Buddy foolishly calls Peter Dinklage’s short stature Elf-like, which is a bit dated, though it’s played as awkward so it’s probably intended. I’ll have to watch the commentary track one day to hear what the creatives have to say about it.

Apart from that one bit it’s really good, and a really great watch every year.

(In other news, I watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation last night for the first time and it was… really average. It had it’s moments, but the comedy was either dull or very dated, and not fun to watch.)

5 Likes