Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Regarding the recent name change to the thread: I feel it’s kinda long. Can’t it be just “Movies thread”, “Movie Discussion Thread”, something like that?

7 Likes

Movies that you have recently watched, movies that are about to arrive to cinemas and movies in general are three different subjects as I see it.
So from my perspective three separate threads should be created for these three corresponding subjects.
As far as we already have one, two left to create

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s fair. I wasn’t sure if making a separate thread for it would be useful (I’d think having all movie discussion in one place would be good) but separating Watched previously vs. Excited for upcoming makes sense.

Tada

4 Likes

Just saw schpidaman oh no wheres me home, really fun movie, favorite out of the home trilogy by a mile.

6 Likes

yeah, it is comfortably the best of tom holland’s bunch. i was very happy with the very end of the movie too.

(into the spider-verse is - of course - the best spider-man movie though… right?)

6 Likes

Yup

1. Spiderverse
  2. Spiderman 2
  3. Spiderman
  4. Spiderman no way home
  5. Spiderman 3
  6. The amazing spiderman
  7. Spiderman homecoming
  8. The amazing Spiderman 2
  9. Spiderman far from home
4 Likes

my man! that’s a pretty solid list. i’d personally put 3 on par with far from home there, but i can’t really disagree overall.

2 Likes

I really quite like 3, and i really despise ffh but the reasons why are too longwinded to put here

3 Likes

i’ll give you my quick capsule review of ffh: boring… except the first mysterio fight.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen Rogue One for the first time and its pretty good, far better than the awful Sequels Disney has made.

9 Likes

Rogue One is one of my favorites! It really puts the “wars” in Star Wars

4 Likes

It’s my fav by far. I can’t wait till Andor comes out on Disney+ and I really hope they keep the overall tone the same as they had it in Rogue.

4 Likes
Haven't watched the latest Spider Man yet, but as far as I'm not planning to see it in a cinema, reading some texts about it.

And man, what a rubbish and utter nonsense I’ve read about. Understood literally nothing, but thing that I understood they mixed there I guess absolutely everything. Parallel universes, Venom, Dr. Strange, etc etc etc.
Only Terminator, Superman and Batman are not there yet. I guess even Harry Potter is about to show up in one of the next movies…
Damn, what a crap Toby Maguire’s films risen into… I’m glad he’s not participating anymore.
Though I’ve read he will appear in this latest film as a Spider Man from that his own universe.
I feel my head will boil when I’ll watch the film in a few months at home

1 Like

it’s pretty easy to follow, though it is very comic booky. i thought it was fun (and i’m saying that as someone tired of superhero movies. very tired.). :man_shrugging:t4:

you do you, but i will say that i think reading a summarised plot to a movie isn’t really a good basis on which to make a judgement. like, it’d be an error to judge, say, the goonies on the basis that it’s a film about five children looking for willy.

obviously, i’m being deliberately flippant there, but the point stands. for example, you can try to describe a piece of music, but it doesn’t capture the experience of listening to it. i think the same principle stands for movies, books, art, etc. no matter how detailed the description. you’ll be carrying the impression you get from the summary when you finally do go in too.

6 Likes

The third act of Rogue One was a single good SW thing that Disney produced. Fight meee

6 Likes

I never fight people who are looking for one :grin:

3 Likes

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes back, it’s not just Star Wars karaoke like Episode 7 and 9. It’s a movie first and foremost and not a movie that tries to be a Star Wars movie. That said I love everything from Episode 1 to 9 and there is always something I can enjoy in a Star Wars movie even as flawed as Attack of the Clones and Rise of Skywalker.

Sadly the Disney sequels suffers from not having Duel of Fates as it’s episode 9, that was a satisfying conclusion to the sequel trilogy. Now I’ll just have to enjoy it in comic book form and be sadden by what could have been.

7 Likes

ye gads - you only attack pacifists?! guess it’s a near guaranteed win…

5 Likes

You can’t lose if they don’t fight back

giphy

8 Likes

I just saw… SPIDER-MAN 2!!

Okay, yeah, it’s not the newest one, but I hadn’t seen it in ages and I want to reacquaint myself with Doc Ock (and hopefully summon Tobey Maguire through sheer willpower – but don’t say anything!)

Man, this movie is FUNNY. Both in intentional and possibly unintentional ways.
Whether it’s a long, awkward elevator ride with a business man. Or two kids being surprised at Peter doing a flip in the middle of the street. Or even in hilarious sequences like “I’m Back! I’m Back!!.. My Back! My Back!..”
This was so fun to watch both for the action, slightly cheezy writing and dialogue, and how endearing the film is towards the people of New York.

Seriously, I underestimated how much this film appreciates camaraderie and fellowship between a group of people in the face of adversity. There’s plenty of times where you see people cheering Spidey on, or helping each other in dire situations, or just random characters complimenting Spider-Man on the street.

Plus, that surgery scene in the hospital. WHOA. Some real freaky horror there. I definitely remember being scared of that scene so much as a kid (and skipping it every time I rewatched it)
Speaking of that, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen this, so a lot of the events have slipped my mind. However, just a couple seconds before each scene occurred, the memories each came flying back to me, it was really exciting to rediscover it. I was also impressed by the length, I was so immersed in the film that at one point I was expecting it to cut to the final harbor battle, but no! There was still the iconic train battle and unmasking to do! That was awesome to experience again.

The CGI looks a bit artificial in some spots, but it really shows how far we’ve come in 17 years.
I’ve heard that most if not all of the shots of Doc Ock in the new No Way Home are all CGI, but I hope there’s at least some practical effects in there. The arms in Spider-Man 2 are actually controlled by puppeteers in close-up shots, and they really breathe so much life and tension into some clicking robot limbs.
J.K. Simmons is also fantastic. He really had a fun time dominating every scene, perfectly slipping into the smooth, slimy persona of J.J.Jameson. I wonder how he might change in the new film, since his fast-talking, cocky attitude was so captivating.

If there’s one really major complaint it has to be the constant shots of screaming women (like… wow Sam Raimi. There’s one every 15 minutes.) Sometimes there’s sequences with tons of them happening, one after the other, or at the same time.
It’s really silly and (while I get it’s from his horror roots of Evil Dead) I hope he tones it down a bit for Dr. Strange 2.
It’s just a buildup of unnecessary padding for some weird “raising the stakes” effect.

Definitely a fun, fun movie.
T-14 hours until I see NWH!

7 Likes