Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Bruce Wayne…why are you dressed like Batman?!

5 Likes

Ah my bad i didn’t realize that, but yea walken absolutely steals every scene with his fantastic performance

1 Like

nah, it’s on me. i didn’t put that across very well. :+1:t4:

1 Like

This is a movie I’m at this very moment watching at the theater with a friend, he likes Rock music, and I don’t, he asked me to come to this new David Bowie Doc movie, holy fuck this is torture :sob:

1 Like

Sorry to hear. I take it it was a godawful small affair? The film is a saddening bore?

4 Likes

Has he lived it ten times or more?

4 Likes

if he went with a lady, she could spit in the eyes of fools.

3 Likes

This is pretty much 2 hours of David Bowie and others talking only about him, with a shit ton of unnecessary VFX, while his songs are being played in the transitions, in comparison to the Elvis movie that came out earlier this year, Elvis had an actual narative and purpose, this one was just Bowie and Others talking about him for 2 hours, specifically about Bowie, not even enough about his music, this was beyond boredom, I would have left in the middle if my friend would too, he didn’t liked it aswell but he wanted to stay all the way till the end.

1 Like

Idk man, sounds pretty awesome to me, especially as a bowie fan

4 Likes

Yeah it sounds like every rock star documentary ever, I don’t know what Switch was expecting. Every rockumentary with a living artist is equal parts hagiography and greatest hits collection.

1 Like

Akira.

Oh man, it was wild.

“Neo-Tokyo is about to explode…”

And what an explosive movie it is… Gorgeous cel art, a film packed with themes on corporate, militaristic, scientific greed, sci-fi philosophizing… its a lot.

Basically, how I would try to give a brief synopsis is:
In a near-future (well, “past” now) dystopian Tokyo, a young biker gets into an accident, and is pulled into a web of human experimentation and ultimate power. But that’s putting it really lightly.

It’s a lot to wrap your head around, particularly the significance of “the kids” in the movie, and the climax at the end. It takes its sweet time building up the tension, giving it a break, and throwing in some abstract visuals and meanings to events unfolding.

idk im bad at trying to explain something, especially if I want to be vague but sound intriguing

The climax is an insane, grotesque scene that’s wonderfully animated. Fantastic job for the animation team, this movie was stunning. The city vistas and explosions were awesome. Some trippy visuals and warped animation too.
I didn’t totally like the editing however – a lot of scenes end fading to black, only to hard-cut to the next scene, but keeps the tension involved from the last scene. Usually fade-to-blacks are used to reset tension and ease you into the next one. It felt pretty jarring to me.

You can also see where plenty of films got their inspiration from here. What kind of stood out to me most is Amazon’s animated show ‘Invincible’ basically remakes the satellite scene from this movie. Plus, I was randomly reminded of the movie ‘Lucy’ by Luc Besson, which kind of has a similar, more direct, less elaborate “ultimate power” story.

I was very very surprised to see That Bike Slide happen like 5 minutes into the film. Went by very quickly, and I’m surprised it has had such an influence on pop-culture with how many people keep referencing it. I can’t deny that damn bike is really cool though!!

5 Likes

Idk then :man_shrugging: but listening to Bowie talking so much about himself for 2 hours wasn’t the best thing for a non Rock fan, I would have liked it more if they would talk more about his music, the music affected the people aswell and this whole doc kinda repeated itself after a while “I’m unique, I am a sculptor, I paint” // “David Bowie was always ahead of his time and ahead of his fans”, but it’s my personal opinion.

1 Like

Since I don’t wanna be all negative, one of the better films I watched lately was Nope, it feels like the director wanted at all costs to have incredible moments that would get the audience to go “wow” and would practically get you amazed, and he did, there were incredible moments in this movie but the funny thing is some of which don’t feel related at all, it feels like the director made them purely because of how good these are, which is weird but it’s great to watch, and the movie and the plot overall were great, great characters and a really great film overall.

Actual spoiler:

holy fuck the fistbump was unbelieveable, I couldn’t even fucking blink at that moment, my eyes couldn’t leave the screen, he did a great job

4 Likes

I think the original teaser trailer will remain one of the best teasers for a film I’ve ever seen. After having seen the film, you can connect the dots of what’s going on, but without having context it reveals just enough to get a sense of what to expect, but still not revealing anything too substantial. Leaving many chilling moments in the film intact. Perfect.
I actually saw it again tonight before Akira played, and it still wow’s me.

4 Likes

Nope is awfully underrated, movie of the year for me

2 Likes

That title’s probably going to go to Everything Everywhere All At Once for me, but I also really enjoyed Nope this year too.

4 Likes

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once was incredibley great too, but nah, I choose Nope, this movie was a masterpiece

That motherfucking fistbump, that thing gave me goosebumps lol

2 Likes

That really was a chilling scene all around. Kind of felt like Jordan Peele had a much larger idea for it, but couldn’t figure out how to expand upon it, so he managed to get it to work as a character backstory in Nope.
But that’s just my opinion…

2 Likes

I feel like that was pretty much it, that moment was practically stopping me from thinking this movie was a 10/10, he could’ve connected it by making the chimp freaking out because of the Alien, and then it connect greatly with the thing that created Jupe’s trauma killing him eventually, but what we got was a great scene that only served as a backstory of a side character, that’s not the best thing ever, but hey, I enjoyed it

2 Likes

Had to find a VHS Player to watch this thingy

That’s it, that’s the post. Gotta be vague here.

4 Likes