Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

I’m really not one for horror movies, but if it’s actually good as you say, I’m interested now!

The premise from the trailers seems silly and similar to another horror film that didn’t do well – Truth Or Dare, I think it was. People all act normal until someone makes a creepy smile and either kills themselves or murders someone else.

I’ve been inundated with ads about the film in every corner of the internet, so some part of me thinks the marketing is overcompensating for a lackluster film.
But… maybe not?

4 Likes

Not talking about this movie anymore, I already forgot about it and it was too scary

2 Likes

I’m not usually the biggest horror guy either but something about it caught my eye.

Speaking of…

No, the marketing team was just crazy; they even paid people to just smile at the camera at things like sporting events.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good, especially by modern horror standards. Its premise could definitely be stretched into an increasingly shitty franchise, however, in the vein of the quote unquote classics (and its box office is more and more likely to justify it to the studio). I’d recommend this one, just be wary of the potential sequels.

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I was gonna watch Delta Force with Chuck Norris. It’s not available but I found the first 5 min and last 3 min. That’s really all you need anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFrFMSm9ks

It’s so bad it’s good and the two planes are easily the best actors.

6 Likes

Back in from a screening of Park Chan-wook’s Decision To Leave, and it was phenomenal. Oldboy has been an ever-present in my favourite films of all time list ever since I first saw it in 2008, but none of Park’s other work (I’ve made a point to watch all of his feature films) has hit me in quite the same way as the tale of Oh Dae-su, Mido and Lee Woo-jin.

But Decision To Leave gets close. A darkly funny mashup between a detective mystery and a romance story, with a Hitchcock-ian ending that is going to stay with me for months on end. And the chemistry between the two lead actors positively fizzes through the screen.

Beg, borrow or steal a ticket to see this if you get the chance.

7 Likes

Hmmm, Halloween Ends seems to be the Jason Goes To Hell of the Halloween series, both in terms of its overall story, and in how people are responding to it.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed Clerks III.

It’s crude, funny, surprisingly dramatic and very meta, reflecting both Kevin Smith’s real life (you probably haven’t heard, but he had a heart attack :stuck_out_tongue:) and the original movie (as they film the movie within the movie). It’s not perfect–Silent Bob (still) mugs a bit too much, a few jokes try a bit too hard and a couple of the movie-making montages go on too long–but it’s Smith’s most personal and heartfelt movie since at least Chasing Amy and he obviously made it as a love letter to making movies, to his fans, to the View Askew-niverse.

It’s definitely a movie that won’t appeal to everyone, but as someone who enjoys Smith’s movies–as imperfect as they often are–it ticked all the boxes.

4 Likes

The original Halloween.

(Shameless plug) I go into more detail here but, long story short, I love the atmosphere and camerawork, Laurie is great, the doctor narrowly avoids being completely useless, and Michael is kind of a chump by the end. Even though this didn’t live up to the hype and I haven’t heard great things about the sequels, I’m oddly down for more.

I guess… 5(?)/10 :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The original Friday the 13th.

More detailed review here (another shameless plug).

While being clearly inferior to Halloween from a technical and production standpoint, this was a fair bit more fun. It didn’t really take itself too seriously and knew it was mainly a shameless cash grab but something about it just worked. I think they handled their killer better (and I loved that twist) but the characters were mostly just forgettable and Annie should have been the final girl. I’m not really sure how they progress the story from here though but I’m interested in seeing them try.

Let’s go with, uh… 5.75/10

1 Like

That is the neat part, there is no progression. I would say it is like a videogame Horde Mode, there are just more waves of victims that come until they got desperate and started doing shit like Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X (where he is in a space ship).

4 Likes

Still fun to watch, though. And Freddy vs Jason was the best crossover of all time, fuck the Avengers.

The original A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Disturbing and surreal, Nancy’s awesome, Freddy’s a creep, brutal kills, confusing ending. This was a fantastic movie!

9/10

(I’m watching older horror(-esque) movies I’ve never seen before for Halloween; see more detailed reviews and join the (spoiler-free) discussion here)

4 Likes

Okay, since Halloween Ends seems to be hot topic, I gotta put in my two cents. Here goes:

Halloween Ends exceeds Kills, but falls short to meet 2018’s quality. This movie appears to do the weird thing of introducing a new “important” character into the lore while simultaneously trying to tie things up. Spoiler: Michael Myers was nowhere to be seen until 40 minutes into the movie. I saw this movie with my mates and we actually asked each other where the main guy of the movie was. This doesn’t have to be a problem per se, setting the stage for a new character, but when you fucking kill said person after ¾ of the movie is over I think you have a problem. Second to that is that it wasn’t even that interesting to look at since 99% of the theater expected a suspensful cat vs mouse hunt between Laurie and Michael. Instead Michael was being a pathetic loser living in the sewers doing litterly nothing. When it finally came to the long anticipated fight, it took Laurie only a couple of hits to bring Michael down. This struck me as odd since he took multiple batswings and a few .45 rounds to the chest before.

Halloween Ends was okay, but not perfect. I’d rate it a 6,5 if I had to. The stage should’ve been open to Laurie and Michael, but instead was given to Allison and Edgelord. :nerd_face: Atleast the ending wasn’t bad, after all.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that this is one of those films that will be more well-regarded with the passage of time.

3 Likes

The original Child’s Play.

This was a fairly creative genre mashup between eighties horror and eighties action movie that would sorely miss Brad Dourif. While a lot of it was as forgettable as an eighties action movie, I will give them credit for not taking themselves too seriously and embracing the ridiculous.

6.25/10

4 Likes

6 Likes

I suppose I could change it to “most” eighties action movies. :joy:

3 Likes

This is one of those moments (and with agenda infested entertainment and paid shills nowadays there"s plenty) where a movie/tv show has high praise from “critics” but is actually fucking garbage. And that movie is…

Barbarian (2022)

Holy shit!

Every character in the movie makes dumb decisions/does dumb shit Every scenario is improbable and requires you to suspend your disbelief to the point that your disbelief could file a lawsuit against your brain for “back pay” to cover the time you spent watching this visual portrayal of AIDS.

Imagine a crackhead prostitute holding a Dyson vacuum cleaner in each hand, in outer space, in front of a black hole like Gargantuan from Interstellar. This movie actually sucks more than that.

Van Down By The River/10

3 Likes

for a second here, i thought you were beginning to describe the movie and i was all like “huh, this seems quite interesting…”

4 Likes

I watched " 13 Lives ", after I was recommended by my cousin.

This movie is based on a true incident,
inspiring movie where it will shows not to give up and how generosity of a huge number of thai people and people from other countries is dedicated to save the life of 13 kids trapped inside a cave for more than a week.

Trust me, if you are feeling low, this movie will surely change your mood.
Very thrilling movie, I suggest not to look at the real wiki of the incident (to avoid spoiler) - the movie has 100% true events.

This movie also dedicates to some of the heroes all over the world who are not known. The time was world cup 2018 and most of us missed this news that time (including me).

Awesome work by the director Ron Howard (who directed da vinci series, rush, frost nixon etc) and Colin Farrel is one of the cast.

PS: Most of the movie dialogue is in Thai, I suggest choose subtitle and audio language wisely (more than 30 audio/subs available in Amazon Prime)

4 Likes