Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Saw Glass Onion at the cinema. Really enjoyed it, as good as Knives Out but I think I also think it is good enough in a different way that makes it feel like its own thing, rather than just being Knives Out 2. Hard to really say much more for fear of spoiling anything, I think the movie absolutely is worth seeing on the big screen which it will be for only a few days until it becomes a Netflix exclusive. Can’t wait for the third film.

12 Likes

Just back from Glass Onion myself. Art imitates art imitates art…

Knives Out
knives-out-baseball

Glass Onion

9 Likes

The Menu

Suspense thiller/ horror about a group of elitist attending a top tier high class restaurant located on a island. Everything starts out well enough at first but as evening progresses and the head chief introduces more…unique dishes, things slowly start getting more intense and eventually become violent. That’s all I can say without spoiling anything but this was a nice surprise. I give it an 8 out of 10. :+1:

6 Likes

Sounds like it might be the perfect place for The Procurers to hang out.

As for Knives Out, @scat1620, it’s curious how much Thornbridge Manor in Dartmoor and the estate in the movie, as well as the inherent murder mystery and special investigator, resemble each other even though, according to IOI, they had already begun design of the mission before the film even released. The gray stone look of the manor itself and the surrounding cloud-covered swampy grassland of Dartmoor actually seem to have been more inspired by the titular manor and its surrounding land from Skyfall than anything. Either way, we can thank Daniel Craig for it.

5 Likes

Let’s just say that not even Gordon Ramsay would want any part of that place. :wink:

3 Likes

Just came back from Glass Onion and I second all of this. I was a bit nervous when I heard Netflix was involved (because it’s, well, Netflix) but those fears were apparently unfounded and it was absolutely fantastic!

There really isn’t much one can say without spoiling so I’ll just say see it in theaters if you can.

6 Likes

Dad and I watched Sonic the Hedgehog 2 the other day.
It was a fun, entertaining movie. Neither of us are Sonic fans, but I saw the first movie a while ago and some reason he was interested in the sequel.
But yeah it was good. I thought it was pretty silly on the comedy and Sonic’s general behaviour, but he’s depicted as a child and its a kids’ movie so…

The standout was once again Jim Carrey as Robotnik. All of his wacky improvised lines, facial expressions, and uh mannerisms? I can’t explain what that man does. But he does manage to ham it up in every scene, playing a zany, goofily-insane villain.

I can’t believe it but Idris Elba was the perfect choice for Knuckles. His deep powerful voice is perfect for the menacing, angry Echidna shown in the movie who’s hell-bent on finding Sonic and also not the sharpest tool in the shed.
(The final scene where he’s having ‘fun’ was so sweet and I love it)

Mega shout-out to Colleen O’Shaughnessy’s agent for managing to get her this major hollywood gig, and also major thanks to the director and the producers for picking this relative unknown-actor from the world of video games.
It’s awesome not to see a celebrity casting for a major character like this, and it was a great decision. Tails is so cute, adorable, I don’t know who could create that same feeling other than Colleen.

Other stuff:

• The comedy involving all the human characters in the movie was really great. I loved the running joke in the second half with Rachel wanting to murder her fake husband.
  • I want to partly consider this as an animated movie. There’s quite a few scenes that only feature the two CGI leads Sonic and Tails, in non-human environments, so that’s gotta be plenty of non-real animated CGI. Lol.
  • The credits have your typical pixel-art homage of the video game of the film you just watched – but it was really good-looking and a great touch to end the film on.
    Also the credits song was a bop too
    Kid Cudi - Stars In The Sky - YouTube
5 Likes

The Swimmers. It’s based on a real story. Two young girls in Syria who are stud swimmers. They are training for the Olympics in Rio when the war gets bad. They have to flee. It’s a wonderful story.

3 Likes

I still haven’t watched either Sonic movie yet, probably will at some point. Really I’m interested where they go in the future since there is a strong possibility Jim Carrey isn’t coming back. Would be hilarious if he did come back though, Carrey rarely does sequels, the only other sequels he has done are Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, if he came back for Sonic 3 that would be the first trilogy of his career.

Really I feel like I’m more interested in what the franchise does for the future. For one thing we know that Shadow will be in Sonic 3, will they utilise alot of elements from Sonic Adventure 2, including his dark backstory? The Knuckles TV show will probably introduce at least one more character so that it isn’t just Knuckles and humans I would guess, so maybe someone like Rouge? One of the odder aspects of the Sonic franchise is that Sonic doesn’t really have that much of a rogue’s gallery, alot of 3D Sonic games tending instead to have a plot where Eggman’s scheme causes some kind of monster to get loose and that gets dealt with by the end of the game. Alot of other villians have been buried by Sega since they’re tied to games Sega doesn’t like to acknowledge exist like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06, and recently Forces. I’m curious what they’ll do for other villians for future movies.

I think I’m excited in a way because if they do make it to movies 4 and 5, they’ll have to dig deeper into Sonic lore to pull out new characters and plots to utilise, and the idea of characters like Silver and Blaze being in a Sonic movie voiced by Hollywood talent is rather surreal.

I think at this point Colleen is the definitive English VA for Tails, at least for me. As well as the games she also did the Sonic Boom TV show and I think that show’s version of Tails was pretty great as well. Shout out to Sonic Heroes where for that game Tails is voiced by an actual 10 year old boy. Some pretty well known English VAs have done Sonic, like Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, Matthew Mercer, Dan “Yugi Muto” Green, Sean “Goku” Schemmel, Quinton Flynn, to name a few.

What’s funny though is that next month the Sonic Prime TV show debuts on Netflix, and that will have an entirely new Canadian voice cast. Which basically means we have 3 Sonics, Roger Craig Smith, Ben Schwartz, and newcomer Deven Mack, 3 Knuckles, 3 Eggmen etc, but only 2 Tails.

4 Likes

The Usual Suspects

Ain’t gonna trust anyone after that twist.

11 Likes

my favourite line:

“i’m gonna be shittin’ blood tonight.”

the writer went on to make one of my favourite movies: way of the gun. you might like it.

6 Likes

my favorite line:

“i’m smarter than you”

like, LMAO.

Just added it to my “Summer 2022” list :smile:

3 Likes

I watched Way of the Gun recently. It had some good parts (started out strong, had some cool action bits) and a good cast (minus the ultra-bland Ryan Phillippe), but I found it pretty uneven and kind of dated in places.

James Caan was terrific, though.

4 Likes

yeah, that’s fair. it’s definitely of its time. i love it, personally.

i like the way it controls the information it gives the viewer. it’s very guarded while still giving us everything we need to work it out if we’re observant enough (or watch it a second time). there’s always another layer to what’s being said too, which is put to great use with their explanation about the card game.

on top of that, everything is a subversion of some kind (don’t read @Hichkas !): the cold open, the heroes are bad guys. the slow car chase, the off-screen kidnapping central to the film, the old man gunfight with the impossibly heavy money, etc.

it’s been a while, but i always thought it was class… even ryan phillippe… and i hate that guy! :smile:

3 Likes

I finally got around to watching the director’s cut of Dark City. John Murdoch (Rufus Sewell) wakes up in a grimy bathtub with no memory of who he is and ye olde dead hooker in the next room. John Hurt is the detective investigating the murders (yes, plural) and Jennifer Connelly is the wife who hasn’t seen Murdoch in three weeks. Throw in a breathy Kiefer Sutherland as the doctor who (maybe) wants to help him and a group of mysterious Nosferatu-looking bald dudes in old-timey hats and suits who seem to have an unusual interest in Murdoch.

Visually, Dark City is fantastic, dark and grimy, a nameless, sunless city outside of time. The CGI is great, if a bit dated, though in a way that I think adds to the timeless eeriness of the movie, and serves as a precursor to the massive shifting cityscapes of Inception and Doctor Strange.

I won’t go too much into the plot (an irony that will become apparent in a minute), but mysterious weirdness happens. I felt like they could have gone deeper in exploring some of its themes, but it works well enough to make the movie not entirely reliant on it’s amazing atmosphere.

I saw the original version a couple of times when it first came out, but now, after watching it for the first time in 20-ish years, I went back and rewatched the opening of the theatrical version and, holy shit, the studio really screwed them over. Worried about a confused audience, they made them add an opening narration…and I’ll be damned if that asshole (:stuck_out_tongue:) Kiefer Sutherland doesn’t just outright tell you, like, all three of the major twists/revelations in the movie within the opening minute. :man_facepalming:

Frankly, it’s a testament to how good the movie is that even with everything being spoiled it was still as compelling as it was back then. I’m not sure what else they changed in the director’s cut (it’s 10 minutes longer), but just that one omission takes an already good movie and makes it infinitely better.

(Seriously, if you haven’t seen it, avoid the theatrical cut like the plague. And if it’s the only option, at least mute the first minute or so of the movie, until you see the closeup of Kiefer’s watch.)

5 Likes

Freddy
Watched this psychological thriller suspense hindi movie last night, rewatching it again. The acting of the Lead Actor Kartik Aryan (who is an underdog) nailed the movie. The storyline is well arranged (IMDB rating is more than 8) and bends your mind in some parts.

Next time be careful when you visit a Dentist.

As the trailer shows, everyone bullies and teases the Dentist Freddy and he is sad and low mostly in the movie, but he never gives up and when he smiles, he scares the viewers :face_with_peeking_eye:
Spoiler: he does some agent 47 job- murder

It is available in disney plus with english subs.
The dialogues are very less with some are of english.

There is news that some cricits says it was good if it was released on theares. Good that bollywood movie is moving from love, song and dance to hollywood content based movies.

2 Likes

Finally watched the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special.

It was very fun! Loved how it added in a classic “animated Christmas special” vibe to the beginning and end, and was overall a very funny, and at parts demented, Holiday Special about misguided kidnappings for the sake of holiday cheer.

The entire ending sequence with everything lit up was great, and the Special had a great use of rockin’ Christmas songs. The two original ones here (especially the one in the intro) were great.

Maybe I’ll watch it next year! (And I might have to, if the next Guardians film is gonna be the last – and surely break my heart)

4 Likes

I watched yesterday The Fablemans, that was the best movie of 2022 (and I watched lots of movies this year), great performances, great character developments, great plot twists, overall an incredible movie you all should experience.

A Spoiler meme for whoever watched it already:

2 Likes

No Country For Old Men

Can somebody explain what I just saw?

For real, explain it to me.

8 Likes

The world doesn’t make sense for an older fella with an old fashioned sense of justice, with ideals of good and evil, right and wrong. Sometimes good guys do bad things because they’re desperate and nobody believes in them; sometimes bad guys do bad things and don’t even have a reason, they don’t even really know why they want to do things; and sometimes a story comes to an end that has nothing at all to do with anybody even involved with the story.

The world is crazy, stop trying to figure it out. That’s what you just saw.

Javier Bardem’s character of Anton is also what you saw, and he’s basically The Joker without the laughter.

6 Likes