Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Yeah and basically his career launched when he was in Risky Business and he had received a lot of clout as a handsome up-and-comer after playing Joel. If you have such a hard-on for semantics then you should have said Top Gun cemented his superstar status. Not that it matters because arguing on a semantic level means that the arguer is simply wanting to win, I don’t even want a debate. I just wanted to share an opinion, I am not forcing you to agree with me or not.

So you chew me out for not thinking about what you are saying then immediately form an attempt at a counterpoint by adding a word I didn’t say in there? You literally did the radical opposite of what you told me off for; you got so wrapped up in your personal counterargument you ignored what I meant in what I wrote down. I said films, meaning what I said goes for any sort of film be it something completely original, an adaptation, a sequel, a remake or a reboot across all genres and all franchises. In fact I literally used a sequel in my example and in a franchise that has already had ups and downs in quality over the years, I have seen no less than three Reddit posts defending Crystal Skull this weekend alone so clearly this right for a film to exist is non-linear if it isn’t downright arbitrary as I said it was because films can undergo reappraisal at any time.

But if you wanted to just specify sequels, then it is still a not. You shouldn’t judge the right for a piece of media to exist by if what precedes it is good or not either. There are plenty of franchises that have sequels that are inferior to the original but still retain a level of quality to them and there are sequels that are better than the original. It is the makings of that film that quality justifies their existence not if some arbitrary group of geeks deems it worth on Reddit after the first IGN article on it comes out.

Now to save us another hour of debating films I am simply going to advise you to cool off or jump to the part where you realise you are being combative again then end the argument.

To get things back on track I am simply going to mention you can get Inland Empire on Criterion. I haven’t watched it but I forgot what film thread I was on.

2 Likes

Dude, you’ve been combative, hotheaded, and snappy for nearly the full time you’ve been posting in this thread today. I’ve kept cool the whole time. You’ve been the one coming off like a snobbish film critic from your first response to me, then going into the things you “fucking hate” about what people think about wanted films and how journalism needs standards again and so on. I think this whole thing is bothering you more than me. I’ve got no desire to provoke you on this topic further, since it’s not a topic I’m particularly invested in, but consider some of your responses from earlier and perhaps not let this get you this worked up.

1 Like

It isn’t snobbish to expect better standards from film journalists but yes that first comment might have been unduly profane and I did indeed leave a “fucking” when talking about films “being wanted” initially, I sometimes do that a lot when writing, it doesn’t mean I am angry, it means I feel strongly about something and that I didn’t reread what I wrote before sending…

Other than that there is perhaps some grain of truth in what you are saying. I am fully aware that my last post was stupendously blunt and more than a little terse, I know that would go nowhere pleasant for either of us if we allow it to continue.

It also isn’t snobbish to want people to be more open-minded about what films are coming out and it certainly isn’t snobbish to want people to be less uncompromising on when a film has a right to exist or that we should demand more from people covering films professionally.

I feel like you may have unintentionally written this in a way that sounds extremely patronising you most likely didn’t mean it though. For what it is worth, I am sorry I was starting to become an ass. You are taking the out for once and I am able to see that I was going to make it a whole thing just like that fucking island debate I had a few weeks ago. Actually you were there for that, so you might remember what I am talking about, I don’t want that.

Plus with three days left til I am back at work with a day before Christmas eve and I will spend it being chewed out by unhappy vacationers. I have to enjoy them and it means I can’t spend it arguing with people.

1 Like

Hey, let’s face it: you and I both go from insufferable to asshole at the drop of a hat when we get wound up, and it’s tough for either of us to step back once it gets going. I don’t begrudge you that. We good.

4 Likes

I was gonna point out why are you comparing two movies of which one (or both?) you haven´t even seen, but you´ve already done it yourself, so… :smile:

Ok, I´m gonna plead guilty on that actually. I definitely got enthusiastic about it after the first trailer and it was the only movie I highly anticipated over the past few years and couldn´t wait to see it in the cinema. I just wanted them to make an entertaining flick with great aviation scenes but without the crappy romance of the original, and they definitely succeedded in that.

I didn´t intend on going to see Avatar 2, but I might reconsider, just to experience the visuals on the big screen (TV won´t do it justice probably). I went to see the first one back in the day due to the überhype. First and only time I saw a film in 3D. Not only were the glassess pretty uncomfortable, but I also fell asleep during it, so that´s that, lol.

3 Likes

Added the first four Indy Adventures to my ever expanding library of movies. The 4K’s are really well done. Crystal Skull is a little jarring to watch especially during a specific already jarring scene involving monkeys… it’s still very much jarring.

7 Likes

quick capsule review time!

top gun maverick: mediocre fan service schlock where the stakes dwindle as the film goes on. the utterly discombobulating third act appears to be either from another movie entirely or maverick’s fantasy death dream. not my bag.

the batman: irritating two note main theme and inappropriate use of nirvana aside, this was as close to a movie version of the long halloween as you could hope. enjoyed the detective work and how everyone was freaked out by the nutcase in the bat suit. hands down my favourite depiction of catwoman. overall, a confused liberal power fantasy but i want to see more!

dune: a billion times better than the book. it looks like 60s sci-fi book covers made real. can’t wait to see walken as the emperor of the galaxy.

7 Likes

Glass Onion… totally worths a second viewing. :onion: :+1:
We no longer follow a family (Knives Out) this time but a band of ultra-rich bound by a secret pact…
The first part of the movie is very mastered and rhythmic, the second one explains the first one from a different angle and the third part offers an explosive conclusion.
A tycoon (interpreted by Edward Norton) invites his friends from politics, tech companies and show business during the weekend on his Greek island to solve the mystery of his fake murder until… :drum: a real murder takes place. :scream: But it was without counting on the greatest detective, played by Daniel Craig, who is less physical than a James Bond but more insightful. :sunglasses: :cocktail:
Lot of twists guaranteed! A humor that works, a very studied staging and an eye-catching plastic!
Rian Johnson invented a modern genre of murder mystery :mag_right: which brings together big headliners in a kind of crazy party. A concept that can be declined as many times.
I recommand it!

8 Likes

Glass Onion SPOILERS!

I loved the first Knives Out, and this sequel is still great fun, but I felt it wasn’t quite as good as the original.

PROS:

• I enjoyed the contrast in setting: a sunny springtime Greek island with a modern mansion compared to the first film’s autumnal Massachusetts forest with a gothic manor. Lovely scenery.

• Benoit Blanc is a great character, and his outfits are chef’s kiss.

• Some great funny moments. The scene where Blanc solves the murder mystery game that should have taken the entire weekend, before it had even started, is wonderful.

CONS:

• The ensemble cast of dickish friends weren’t as good as the Thrombey family. Miles Bron isn’t particulary intimidating or interesting.

• The twin twist and extended flashback sequence in the middle of the movie dragged on and on and on. And on. It should have just played out chronologically.

• The murder mystery element wasn’t as strong as it was in the first film. The ending was a bit underwhelming and silly.

Still, a fun movie! I eagerly await Knives Out 3.

Also, the Glass Onion island would make a great Hitman level…

11 Likes

It’s 2:30 AM right now, so I’m a bit tired, but:

• CGI is near flawless, or at least good enough that it didn’t once pull me out of the experience. Every shot looks great. Water sequences are fantastic.
  • Multiple story threads come together well towards the end.
  • Action is good.
  • Movie is too long by about 30 minutes.
  • Jim Cameron’s 14 year old mind still colors dialog. Didn’t really expect (or want) to hear N’avi call eachother “bro” or “cuz”. I realize you could make the case that it’s due to Jake Sully’s influence, but all the same it felt distracting to me.

I liked it. It was an enjoyable watch. If you liked the first movie you’ll like this I think.

6 Likes

Completely agree! Watching some of the things that are pointed out in the end, especially some that were kind of weird the first time (I noted some of Bron’s peculiar word usage from the very beginning but made little of it, for example), made the movie seem to flow better and elevated it a little for me.

That’s almost the point of him but he is VERY topical though.

IMAGINE getting to blow up the onion! :star_struck:

Avatar has a story? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll step out here though; I’ve already said my piece on this burgeoning franchise and I’m most assuredly NOT in the

camp. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Watched Pig, staring Nicholas Cage. It’s both what I expected and not at all what I expected. It’s John Wick without classic John Wick. I enjoyed it and it was a treat to see Cage back in topform.

4 Likes

Watched Glass Onion. My oh my it’s a great, fun movie.
There’s some parts in the second act where they do a lot of different flashbacks and even flashbacks-within-flashbacks, which got a bit tiresome for me, I feel like maybe some of it could have been revealed later, but it was overall a super twisty mystery with a very fun cast of characters.

The fact that it’s also a (psychopathic) takedown of the eccentric billionaire-type, and oooh this could not have come at a better time for that, was very funny for me.

Rian Johnson has a great style and cuts up scenes in just the right way to lie a little by omission, but ends up tying up a lot of loose ends by the end.
I’ve got to rewatch Knives Out again because I don’t remember too much from that film.

Daniel Craig’s whole schtick as this humble southern detective is great, can’t get enough of it. Also according to my sister Benoit might actually be gay? He might actually be married to Hugh Grant in this film? I can see it, we didn’t really get proof if Phillip was his assistant or not.

Setting the movie during Covid lockdown was a bit strange to me, especially since they just hand-wave it later with a magic covid cure gun before they get to the island. I didn’t need justifying as to why these actors can be walking around close together with no PPE

Really solid movie, hope the third one turns out good as well.

8 Likes

The Family Man - Season 1 and 2

Not a movie but a web series on Amazon Prime.
Completed Season 2 last night, Imdb rating is 8.7, waiting for next season.
If you are into below genere, you may give it a try -

Genre is Espionage, Spy, Action, Thriller, Black Comedy, Suspense, politically sensitive contents, bad language etc etc

It is about an undercover spy who works in stopping terror attack and is a middle class guy with a family of two kids. He struggles to keep a balance with his family and job. His job is not recognized as he is an undercover agent who stops many terror attack saving innocent lives.

There are many undercover spy who sacrifices their life without getting recognized in all countries - Intelligence is more powerful than guns.

The lead actor is Manoj Vajpayee is a legendary actor (Gangs of Wasseypur) and the supporting cast does good jobs especially his partner JK and the antagonist.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 3: filming as on now.

3 Likes

i really enjoyed glass onion too! a lot of fun.

your sister is spot on. phillip is his husband, according to craig and johnson.

i don’t think it’s just a justification. it’s an indicator of miles’ character, especially on rewatches. it may be entirely useless.

4 Likes

I didn’t even think of that! It does make sense though; after all, he is “an idiot”.

3 Likes

We finally watched Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

It was really great! I liked how this movie involved a lot more diplomatic discussions between important characters, and a lot of very quiet scenes involving just talking. Made the times when action sprung up even more exciting.

The movie was a great movie about a burgeoning alliance/war over mutual invaders, and also a collection of moments of grief for the entire cast and the audience themselves.
I think they balanced the two very well in this film.

Riri Williams’ inclusion was nice, didn’t appear for too much but she had a nice introduction I’m interested to see more of in her series next year.

The little twist in the last third of the film
when Shuri becomes the next Black Panther was very interesting. N’Jadaka (Michael B Jordan) comes back for a scene to impart some wisdom on vengeance that Shuri harbours. That was a neat twist on her character, one that I never expected she’d take.
I gotta say, I don’t really like her suit design though. It looks a bit too busy with many fragmented lines and the amount of reflected gold…

Her Black Panther theme song is epic though! Love the main riff of it.
https://youtu.be/vWeq2Mv-Zds

Also I nearly had one of the worst movie experiences of my life, but thankfully they left after a bit.
After the sad, quiet prologue happened, a baby in the front row started crying. And it only got louder from there. Through the entire ship invasion sequence to yhe scene past that, there was a crying baby.
The people who brought the baby left, but came back after a few minutes to the further-front-row. But the baby still cried after that so they fully left.
Man, I’m sorry but that was quite annoying. Hope they can get their money back and pay for a babysitter next time :smile:

3 Likes

What puzzles me is why the hell didn’t “whoever had the bright idea to bring a baby with them” leave?

1 Like

They did! (I should probably specify that “the people there” were the people who brought the baby. I’ll edit that) But took them I’d say 15 or 20 mins into the film… :grimacing:

1 Like

Aaah, ok. I misunderstood. I thought it was the people around them who started leaving :sweat_smile: (hence my confusion - like, why would you?)

2 Likes