Movies You’ve Only Just Watched

Same here. I went with my daughter to see it last August and didn’t know what to expect. Walked out of the theatre having really enjoyed it.

6 Likes

Dont Look Up

Its Political Satire - Black Comedy and as said it is based on real events that has not happened :dotted_line_face:

Legendary Leonardo Caprio’s performance is as usual top notch blending into a Professor. The rest of the cast are good.

It was funny and sad at the same time but this movie teaches us a lesson. I wont spoil but if you get a chance dont miss to watch it.

5 Likes

Second vote for Don’t Look Up. Leo is always solid and the movie is great.

5 Likes

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Went to see this with fairly low expectations based on what I’d seen from the reviews, but I really quite enjoyed this. The quanum realm has some really cool visuals and designs. I really loved some of the stuff in there. Kang is a great villain (Jonathan Majors does a great job), and I really enjoyed the ant-family ensemble they went with this time around, with everyone getting screen time and stuff to do.

I am somewhat iffy on the way MODOK was portrayed, but the character is inherently silly for obvious reasons, so I don’t think it was really far off from where it needed to be, it just went a bit too far at times.
Also, the way action was shot and edited felt confusing at times. The movie felt like it was missing some good long shots and overhead shots that establish the space of the action.

Biggest mistake of the movie? Scott and Hope should’ve ended up stuck in the quantum realm.

Looking forward to seeing more of Kang.

3 Likes

Got a few here so just a quick rundown for each.

Sick

A Netflix Peacock film set against the backdrop of the early days of the COVID pandemic. I thought it did a great job at showing how crazy the last few years have driven collectively us as a species and I appreciated that the leads weren’t overly sexualized. There was some fairly standard horror movie tropes (like extreme idiocy) at times and I can’t decide if they wanted to make a point about our current reality or if they didn’t do it enough. It was fairly entertaining though and I liked the twist at the end: 6/10

X

A fairly unsettling time with some oddly sympathetic antagonists. I liked the exploration of the sexual liberation of the time but I wasn’t too attached to anyone nor could I fully understand the old lady’s fixation with the one girl beyond the fact that they were both played by Mia Goth (I did not realize that until the end credits btw so some truly exceptional old people makeup there). Anyway, it was fun but not as fun as I wanted it to be: 6.5/10

Pearl

This was great! I watched some of the bonus stuff afterwards where Goth and Ti West (the director/co-writer) talk about how much backstory went into the character of Pearl and how they had the idea for an origin story almost before they did the first movie and it really shows. I love the historical setting (I’m bit of a history buff some I might be biased) and Mia Goth is perfect in these deeply unsettling roles. The audience gets so much information about Pearl and her mindset that it retroactively improves X. The only really knock I have is that they didn’t really bother to explain exactly why Howard is okay with Pearl’s murderous proclivities; he just kind of comes back from the Great War, sees his wife has murdered a handful of people and they’re still happily married sixty years later in the first movie and now he even helps! Other than that though: solid 8/10

5 Likes

Burrow, despite only being about 7 minutes long, is probably one of Pixar’s best, most cutest things ever.
It’s so freakin’ good. It’s still so freakin’ good.

4 Likes

We saw Emily the Criminal this past weekend. It was a great, tense crime thriller featuring Aubrey Plaza as Emily, a woman who gets lured into the risky, money-making world of credit card fraud.

Aubrey does a really great job as the lead, forced to dive deeper and deeper into these dangerous exchanges as she seeks out more money to pay off her student loans.
Theo Rossi plays essentially her mentor in the business, as she connects with him and they learn to help each other succeed and overcome some personal problems.

I didn’t totally like how they didn’t address once the real fear and maliciousness of acquiring other people’s credit cards (or how they even got those numbers), but they are the protagonists of the film, so its viewed through that “tempting, no-self-doubt” lens.

It was very fun and had lots of edge-of-your-seat moments, I’d reccommend it.

2 Likes

Went to the Scream VI Fan Event around 5 hours ago, and by extension saw Scream VI.

Firstly Fan Event, ended up accidentally missing the Reno 911 Skit and a video of the cast playing a game where they’re reaching into a box guessing what’s in it, but that’s okay.

Now the movie, it’s a good horror movie especially with the fact that it went into production before the release of 5cream. It’s not perfect though.

Pros:

• Strongest Opening in the series, subverts expectations and uses Ideas from the original Scream 5 that was cancelled.

• Mason Gooding’s character is a standout and I’m glad they gave him more to work with this time.

• Around 5 chases each are suspenseful in their own ways.

• Set pieces are memorable.

• Movies in general just fun.

• Marco Beltramis score from the first movie is used appropriately.

Cons

• Killers Motive is a rehash of a previous motive, but more contrived and there’s a lot of convenient moments that took place.

• A set-piece involving crime scene evidence doesn’t make sense given the evidence and how it is acquired is by theft or it going missing. Said evidence is from prior movies spread across LA, Woodsboro, and Ohio.

• A Character who gets stabbed around 15 times by two knives in various locations has some powerful plot armor.

• David Arquette’s absence is felt more than Neve Campbells.

3 Likes

Finally got around to Mean Streets, the only Scorsese film I hadn’t seen. This is a gem, and DeNiro steals every scene.

11 Likes

Had tickets to a Secret Screening (where you only learn what film you’re about to see when the BBFC rating certificate appears on screen as the opening titles start) at Cineworld tonight, but I couldn’t make it.

It turned out to be Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, and now I’m feeling all:

neo-dodging-bullets

6 Likes

I hope it’s better than the Jeremy Irons version.

4 Likes

I woulda stolen your tickets :joy: looks like silly action fun to me (to someone who doesn’t know much of D&D anyways lol)

3 Likes

Based on this comment I decided to watch it today. Found it pretty bland mostly. The story was aimless and there wasnt anything relevant going on. What kept it entertaining were indeed the performances.

2 Likes

Yesssss !! Naatu Naatu (Telegu) / Naacho Naacho (Hindi) won the academy award.

SS Rajamouli - The Steven Spielberg of India :smile: , a fan of him from Bahubali.

Wow, a great performance by these dance team - so much in sync. Performing in a live event is real challenge:
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1635092891189014535

5 Likes

That song is fire. And I have no idea why any of that was happening, but dammit was i INVESTED. :grin:

4 Likes

Seeing that onstage, I can only imagine how much of a workout they got filming it on a movie set!

“Okay, the group in the back was out of step, do it again from the top!”

Still gotta see that movie…

3 Likes

If you forgive the physics in the action, the movie is good, you get a lot of unexpected surprises, it is similar to Inglorious Bastard - fictional history.
It is available on English audio in Netflix.

3 Likes

There are not too many films of his where this isn’t the case. Maybe the Irishman and the Score? He’s still fantastic in those, but Ed Norton certainly steals the show in the Score. In Irishmen all three of the big names have their moments (as do a lot of the other actors).

3 Likes

You are right, Meet the Fokkers for example took an hour and a half of my life once.

4 Likes

Is that the first one or the second one?

1 Like