Profile Picture/Name Change Thread 2.0

You should make it your profile!

3 Likes

I’ve been to a Malevich exhibition a few years back at the Tate Modern in London. Loved it! Was there for hours just to find out new meanings/interpretations of the art on display. It was an exhausting but beautiful experience.

3 Likes

Dance? - Ed Ruscha

Dated to 1973 and painted by famed Pop Art pioneer Ed Ruscha, Dance? is one of the many, many paintings by Ruscha which depicts typography and simple words in various ways that give them deeper meaning or convey ideas that are or were central to common facets of South California culture and modern life. This painting comes at a very particular period of Ruscha’s style where he eschewed conventional inks and paints in favour of common household substances. Materials used in dance include American mustard, ketchup, chili sauce, egg white, melted cheddar cheese and other condiments associated with fast food. All of them give the art a very era definitive colour palette. Indeed dancing was also a very popular pastime in the 70s and especially in LA.

Ruscha’s other works include Twentysix Gasoline Stations which depict (get this) twenty six gas stations on the stretch of Route 66 going from LA to Ruscha’s birthplace of Oklahoma City, it was the first over nearly 20 books that captured ordinary architecture in South California. Every Building On The Sunset Strip which is a mechanical camera capture of a two and a half mile stretch of the famous boulevard. Large Trademark With Eight Spotlights, an 11 foot tall depiction of the 20th Century Fox logo. Stains, a series of 75 pieces made with a common household substance plus one of Ruscha’s own blood. Several paintings of various petrol stations, SoCal Landmarks and the LA County Art Museum with versions of them on fire. His famous word paintings consisting of his personal type face Boy Scout Utility Modern over colour fields or mountains (like the paramount logo) or his older Trompe l’oeil “liquid word” paintings which recreate words as though they were made of liquid.

5 Likes

Zubin47

I changed my profile picture. My username has my real name so I wanted to keep my real face merged with 47 as well. 47’s emotions is mostly serious and grim. So I wanted to make him smile like me :crazy_face:
I wanted to change my user id from zubin47 to Zubin47, as Z and 7 looks cooler. But not able to figure out how to change it here.

13 Likes

If I remember right, forum moderators can help you with that, so try asking them politely. :wink:

5 Likes

Guitar and Newspaper - Juan Gris

Juan Gris was one of the founding members of the Cubist movement, he was Gertrude Stein’s favourite artist and the only artist that made Picasso uncomfortable. Uh I don’t need to explain the ultimate goal of Cubism since most people probably know it was deconstruction of artistic convention by playing with perspective.

Gris, however, was at the forefront of the shift to the more colourful, collage-like and representational form of Cubism known as Synthetic Cubism. This is one of the later works though and a lot of that technique is pared down here, i would have done a more typical form of Synthetic Cubism but I was afraid it wouldn’t turn out right on a smaller scale. That and Harlequin With A Guitar wouldn’t fit in the frame.

8 Likes

As you may know, I curated the comics batch that was released a couple of days ago, and our very awesome @Khakiasp helped me alot with his amazing drawings.

And for some reason, @Clemens_IOI , asked for a Cover image aswell but never actually used it, oh well, the least I can do is make it my new PFP.

19 Likes

I’m so fucken proud of you two, this is seriously cool to see for some random user-generated contracts batch :sob::sob::sob:

10 Likes

Composition IX - Theo van Doesburg
I have a cold so I can’t be buggered with a write-up this time.

11 Likes

Looks like Tetris on acid.

2 Likes

You mean Tetris Effect?

1 Like

Oh, that already exists, then?

2 Likes

malcom tucker GIF
Yep, just a vividly colourful Tetris nothing fancy.

2 Likes

Big time. Psychedelic abstract images with a zen/techno/pop/space soundtrack

2 Likes

BMW M1 Art Car - Andy Warhol

The BMW M1 is quite simply the most underrated proto-supercar of its time, possibly of automotive history. The perfect combination of a Lamborghini designed chassis (their best if you ask me) and the M88 engine which would see use in BMW’s more famous race cars.

The M1 had significant development hell; Lamborghini went bankrupt during the design period for the car due to their constant design revisions, BMW had trouble finding a company to produce the car, the FIA completely changed the rules the M1 was supposed to be built to race under and it ultimately got completely overlooked by consumers when it released to the consumer market despite the power and balance the car offered thanks to the M88 enginr.

The BMW art car project is BMW commissioning various artists to paint special liveries to certain high profile from Frank Stella to Robert Rauschenberg to David Hockney. A car as prestigious as the M1 needed an artist as pre-eminent enter Andy Warhol. Warhol used 13 pounds of paint, a period of just under half an hour and various violent splashing to paint the car. The splotchy and delineated style was said by Warhol to be a deliberate attempt to invoke a sense of speed by mimicking the blur of a landscape as you speed by at great speed.

The car placed in an overall sixth position in the 79 Le Mans, the only race it ran in before it was retired and put on display as an art piece. The other art cars can be found here on this timeline written up by Beemer themselves.

9 Likes

I am not a car guy, but that machine looks fucking sweet.

6 Likes

You don’t say.

7 Likes

We bout to have a BMW vs Chevrolet profile pics @YellowZR1

5 Likes

Hey now don’t knock Pontiac like that; a lot of time, effort and hard work went into making the Aztek look like the ugliest fucking car of its time.

4 Likes

7 Likes