Project 007 News

“The few other breadcrumbs we’re able to pick up in the office suggest a tone closer to Daniel Craig than Roger Moore, and perhaps a more scripted experience than Hitman’s freeform jaunts,” the magazine reads, before referring to a quote from Abran. “It’s been pitched as ‘the ultimate spycraft fantasy,’ which suggests gadgets - and perhaps a step away from the murderous objectives of Agent 47,” the story continues.

12 Likes

Sounds familiar, and I’m all for it.

10 Likes

Edge Magazine is advertising its current-issue piece on IOI by releasing little mini-stories online.

5 Likes

I’ve recently been catching up with Project 007 news, and feel vindicated reading some comments made by Christian Elverdam during a Eurogamer interview last year.

“So in 2013 we’re talking about this World of Assassination pitch, this idea that we wanted to elevate Hitman… I thought it was a little odd at that point in time that you didn’t have any strong agent fantasies and this celebration of the spy genre… at some point it obviously became an interesting discussion of ‘What if…?’ Because at that point in time, obviously, there hadn’t been a Bond game for ages… And then we started getting an idea that 'oh maybe we should try to talk to them about what it is we’re doing and what they [aren’t] doing with their franchise.”

A couple of years ago, I heard Niels Bye Nielsen discuss how he was instructed to compose a “Bond-like” score when he began work on HITMAN (2016). I recall writing here that it seemed IO may have already been gunning for the Bond licence right back then, intending to use HITMAN to prove their credentials.

I remember this being dismissed at the time as outlandish speculation. People agreed that WOA was created with a Bond style in mind (rather undeniable). But they thought IO were unlikely to have been thinking about the possibility of making their own Bond game until years later.

I guess it wasn’t such an outlandish suggestion after all!

13 Likes

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong category but wanted to give my thoughts that have been developing for the last few months. IOI have been publishing a lot of posts on 007 developer positions for the game ranging from animators to gameplay programmers…maybe I’m too pessimistic but given that the game was announced all the way back in 2020, makes me a bit worried that this game is experiencing some form of development hell?

Not at all educated in the development of video games so if I’m wrong, that’s fine. I just wanted to post this and see if anybody else feels in a similar way!

I think this thread will fit better for your thoughts:

2 Likes

Thank you, sorry about posting it in the wrong place!

2 Likes

Semi related, but we’ve got a new Bond.

7 Likes

Thinking.
I doubt that we would play a Bond based on Daniel Craig or Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
I always thought that IOI has created a third person customizable character, like the 007 you want!
(it would be more ambitious for sure)

Any chance we could customise a female Bond? It’s not like this is canon, anyway. Just ignore the first name entirely.

2 Likes

On a related note, I misread the above headline as “Anya Taylor-Joy rumored to …” and was quite intrigued.

4 Likes

No need for doubting, we can be certain Project 007 won’t feature a likeness from any Bond film…

Speaking to the Danish Broadcasting Corporation, Hakan Abrak, studio director for the developer, described how his team “have been allowed to make [their] own digital Bond, which will not lean on a Bond actor."

2 Likes

Bond has and as of now will continue to be male, the only thing that wont stick with the character is his race. This is something that’s been stated by Broccoli and will continue within the franchise with them focusing on making great roles for women instead of shoehorning female actors into a predominantly male played role.

This by extension will persist in Project 007 since the Broccoli estate most likely gave IO a list of things they cannot do with the character.

2 Likes

Her name came be James. I remember chatting about this idea over some drinks with friends once. We all agreed that if Bond was ever a woman than her name should be James.

fixed that one for you :joy:

1 Like

IO recently hired someone to be Project 007’s mission director. The game was announced three-and-a-half years ago, but this suggests that it may still be in its early developmental stages. Maybe. I dunno, I’m no expert in game development…

8 Likes

Weird they don’t put one of their own into that position. :thinking: Maybe there were issues?

7 Likes