Site Does Not Allow Uploading Videos

Just like title says, I tried going around it for months now, but I can’t, theres a 4mb limit, can’t you all make the limit 25 so I don’t have to upload a 3min vid of some random glitch I found to YT or trying to make a gif our of a 10secs long vid? Please.

Sincerely, your favorite Light Switch.

4 Likes

@LandirtHome suggested a technique not so long ago :

If we can just share the link and read the vid here, no size limit, I guess.

4 Likes

Without going through the hussle of multiple sites? Just let me upload vids in here, I believe it can be altered by the leaders, so why not?

2 Likes

Sorry for another message, but… I can’t open videos in a new tab on mobile, so it’s pretty useless for me, I just want to have a better mb limit on this site

2 Likes

Wincen did a statement about that some time back:

8 Likes

Yeah, basically big files are a potential big expense for the forum - and honestly there are already plenty of places that are willing to host them.

8 Likes

Fine, that’s sad but fine

2 Likes

I was wondering why one day I wasn’t able to post screenshots directly to the forum any more :thinking:

2 Likes

You can upload them to discord and share the link here, it will auto embed. Kevin has a long history with that.

4 Likes

Attempting with a random meme

That’s amazing, thanks

3 Likes

Out of interest how big have the screenshots been? File size wise.

1 Like

I’m not sure I can tell, I hit print screen in game then it goes to my computer’s clipboard; I think the act of having to save it as a file (jpg, bmp, whatever) will result in it having a different/more compressed filesize than the raw that’s in my clipboard?

1 Like

I would say so, yes.
I suppose also it would have a body let’s say, for system to know at least what format the image in

1 Like

I tried doing it with my own screen (4K) and pasting into Discord and that came out at 5.1 meg (png) so I might look into raising the file size limit to 6 or 8 meg.

2 Likes

Alright, new file size limit is 8 meg.

If this becomes a problem I’ll have to do some more technical stuff with enabling hot linking from specific domains and hoping none of those suddenly set up anti-hot linking.

4 Likes

Ah okay, I don’t even do 4K :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not complaining btw, if cutting down on these pics saves money that’s cool

3 Likes

Given the projected traffic and that it’s mostly the bandwidth, not the uploading, the creates the cost - I think it’ll be neglible.

The bigger concern I had was when the game first came out and someone’s super HD screenshot collection going viral or getting hot-linked.

2 Likes