Status system: Silent Assassin in Freelancer

I think this is the main reason SA is not always the highest priority here, you just can’t restart. Still I like the idea that the SA prestige objective is always available to pick.

5 Likes

Just like with the molotov cant wait for the clear minority in the poll to completely change and ruin a new mechanic so the series continues to stagnate

2 Likes

Is getting SA in a mission the only way to be sure that no alerts are raised for future missions? Or you can void SA without an increase in alertness? That it is not clear to me and I think it’s important in the discussion.

1 Like

I haven’t test all possibilities but it seems you can’t be spotted and no body found. I’m not sure if killing non-target rise alert in location if that body wasn’t found.

AFAIK getting SA or not has basically no impact on the alert status. The only things I’ve seen raise the alert status were failing a (non-showdown) mission, and progressing to the next tier of the campaign (where some levels start in alert by default).

1 Like

I had many times alerted locations but only once failed Territory Takedown (non-showdown) mission. But then you just skip and do another one. So i’m not sure if that is the only case. But yeah, it seems not clear how it works - just like a some of objectives.

In my experience with the mode, alerted territories seemed to have nothing to do with Silent Assassin, bodies found, or anything else. They were just there and the further into the campaign you got, the more there would be.

I think that keeping Silent Assassin should prevent alerted territories, frankly. Regardless of prestige objectives, merces, or anything else, if you keep Silent Assassin, there should be no reason for other locations to be on alert.

3 Likes

I agree that if there is one thing very Hitman, it is that the last targets looks around him with “Such terrible terrible accidents… Anyway!”

4 Likes

I guess the working theory is that other territories would be on alert but not sure why or what they were looking for then? I could see adding more non-enforcer guards in that instance (cause they wouldn’t know what they enforcing) maybe?

2 Likes

Right. Another funny thing would be secured accident opportunities. Like detached chandeliers and closed windows. :laughing:

4 Likes

In my opinion - keeping Silent Assassin / No bodies found / No Being spotted should keep locatin in calm state without alert. So there will be a true purpose to make it in 47 way. But… SA means no collectral damage, no killing non-targets, that would mean that almost everytime that will be in conflict to objectives, and each territory would be allerted anyway.

Keeping No bodies found and No being spotted i think is good middle ground of balance it.

1 Like

I think that would a great mechanic! Alert the territory and suddenly the accident opportunities are gone. :slight_smile:

And yeah, if you finish a level with no bodies found, never spotted, etc., leave the other territories in a normal status. No alerts for true Silent Assassin.

2 Likes

Sorry we turned off the water throughout the building and we emptied the barrels, that means no smoking, no eating, no drinking - because you know - 47 is out there :smiley:

Well I do hope for their sake they’ll have a strict no-car policy as well, because when I see one I don’t see a vehicle, I only see an explosive I can’t fit in my pocket :3

2 Likes

This is assuming nobody will play these after all weapons have been collected. People will play differently when they want to. Having SA be the standard or having higher pay out won’t change anything, since the current arrangement already had payout discrepancies. They’ll keep playing over and over, different ways when they want, and SA being present through all that won’t stop anything, just as it doesn’t now.

1 Like

Totally not biased I see.

Part of the issue with the deemphasis of SA in freelancer, something I’m not entirely against btw, is that there’s now no consequences for my actions. Alerted territories exist regardless of if I’m silent or not, and I find it totally ass-backwards to not punish the player for killing civilians and other obviously questionable actions.

I get why freelancer is more freeform, I like it too, but If theres no consequences for my actions, then nothing you do gameplay wise matters asides from “Don’t die” and the puzzle just becomes less enticing to solve.

(On an unrelated note, sorry for any late replies on here, I’m AFK due to a dead GPU).

4 Likes

Then maybe as a player, you should learn how to use them effectively and still get SA. Just cuz you use loud, it can also help you in certain aspects.

Loud items don’t hurt you in any way to achieve SA. You just have to learn how to use it.

Hence SA with loud sniping on the food critic ET.

1 Like

In my opinion, people can go in guns blazing or choose the Silent Assassin route, that’s entirely up to them, but like you said, I also believe the ‘Silent Assassin’ theme is what makes Hitman what it is and that should always remain the focus point.

Oh so we can just add that onto our objectives when we choose a destination? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, it was an idea expressed here on HMF. You only get that objective sometimes. If I am not mistaken.

1 Like

Ah right I see.

That idea then definitely makes the most sense and I think it’s a good way of pleasing both sides of the camp! :wink: