The 93rd Academy Awards (Oscars)

The 93rd Academy Awards are on Sunday, April 25. I watched the shows for over 20 years and plan on doing it again this year.
This thread is for everything Oscar-related:

• Who will win? Who should win?
  • Are we expecting any scandals/surprises?
  • Which movie/actress/actor/other should have been nominated?
  • Are the Oscars still relevant?
  • Your favorite Oscar-moment?
  • Best dress? Most elegant suit?

Here’s the full list of Nominees again

Here’s hoping Wolfwakers will win, despite how the Oscars view animation in previous years.

2 Likes

All I can say is that Soul must win the best animated.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Soul will win best animated. Onward and Wolfwakers (@William1066 ) are the strong contenders here.

2 Likes

Alright, tonight’s the night. Here are my predictions for the main categories:
Best Picture: Nomadland (should win: Nomadland)
Directing: David Fincher (should win: Chloé Zhao)
Actress in a Supporting Role: Amanda Seyfried (should win: Yuh-Jung Youn)
Actor in a Supporting Role: Daniel Kaluuya (should win: Daniel Kaluuya)
Actress in a Leading Role: Frances McDormand (should win: close call… probably Carey Mulligan)
Actor in a Leading Role: Chadwich Boseman (should win: Anthony Hopkins)
Animated Feature Film: Soul (should win: Wolfwakers)

2 Likes

I haven’t watched that many of the nominees from this year so I can’t form too many complex opinions about this year (I’m about to watch Minari though)

I like all the actors up for leading role. I’m especially a fan of Steven Yeun all around, and I thought Riz Ahmed was great in Sound of Metal. But I do think Chadwick Boseman will win just because it’s one of the last chances (maybe THE last chance) he’ll get to win an Oscar. While I’m indifferent to him personally as an actor his absolute commitment to his job despite everything else is phenomenal and deserves recognition, and a lot of the time that’s how Oscars swing

Also Sasha Baron Cohen was a star in Trial of the Chicago 7, but Daniel Kaluuya is a better actor overall and is long overdue an Oscar (I haven’t seen the film he’s up for though)

And if Eurovision doesn’t win best original song, I riot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Gutted that Saint Maud didn’t get a nomination for Best Film and Rose Glass for Best Director. Easily my favourite movie of 2020.

1 Like

Didn’t see that one. Will put it on my watchlist…

3 Likes