The Battlefield Series

Not really sure why I’m the one making this, since I don’t have any nostalgic investment in the series – fairly new fan here.

But since I’m pretty interested in the next game, why not localize more of its content leading up to release, here…

BATTLEFIELD 2042 is coming Fall 2021 to current and Next-Gen consoles and PC.

4 Likes

And here’s what I made this thread for, since it doesn’t seem like too big of an announcement for the Game News thread…

A short film will be premiering soon. Pretty cool thing to make, considering how detailed DICE’s cinematic tech is.

The YouTube mobile app says it should be 9m07s long.

2 Likes

I played a lot Battlefield through the ages, all from BF1942 and my love for the FPS really took hold with BF3. BF1 is the game in the series I put most time into, BF V didn’t really hit the itch for me and was a rather big disappointment. Now I look towards BF42 and hope it will scratch my BF itch, however I fear that it will ignore smaller game modes such as Domination and TDM. It has always been my bread and butter in BF, I 90% of the time I stay away from the larger modes and only play with certain friends.

Oddly enough I hate Tanks, vehicles, planes, helicopters and everything that isn’t infantry. In short I dislike the majority of what people enjoy about the series. A more obvious choice would be COD for those who enjoy arena shooters, but COD always been a bit to arcady and I’m not willing to play a game with only one year shelf life.

If i’ll buy BF42 all comes down to if the game got classic modes as TDM and Domination. I fear that it won’t return due to the nature of how divided BF V was, a lot of modes was removed after launch. If not I’ll continue with R6 Siege.

3 Likes

I also can’t say I’ve ever been super into the Battlefield series. I think the game I put the most time into would actually be the first Bad Company. I remember liking the campaign of that, just enjoying the novelty of building destruction and the Kelly’s Heroes plotline. Think I delved into some of the multiplayer for that, including the big Vietnam expansion they did. Played a little bit of BF3 online, and I very recently tried BFV which came out free on PS Plus. I think I just jumped into them too late, although honestly I can’t say the WW1 and WW2 settings are my kind of thing for this kind of game. Probably the right move for the time but I have no interest, I still feel burnt out from the WW2 era from the PS2 era.

I mean to me, I think doing 2042 after BF1 and BFV makes a lot of sense. I think it looks fun, the near future stuff seems like it just means an excuse for some fun toys to play with. I think to me, the appeal of a game like Battlefield is that it seems like the kindof game where you don’t have to be an ace shot, you can instead just play a good support role and be a team player.

So yeah, probably be buying this at launch. Should be a fun distraction.

1 Like

The ‘Exodus’ short film is out now.

It’s got some impressive lighting and facial capture.
The short essentially confirms the character of Irish from BF4 is back, playable as one of the Multiplayer operatives. The whole concept of no-country armies fighting it out in the climate wars (coming soon to a bushfire near you) is pretty interesting and definitely in no way conveys any political tones, wink.
I wonder if that tease of Tower Bridge from London confirms a London map in the game…

Closed Captions/Subtitles are available, in a wide variety of languages.

1 Like

Battlefield 2042 Open Beta happens next week.

It runs for October 6-9 in total, though there’s a catch.
Early Access to players who pre-ordered the game is can start October 6-7 and play the rest of the weekend.
for the rest of us, October 8-9 access only.

Pre-load is available (though I’m not sure if it’s only for early access) and will be available October 5th.

1 Like

I’m probably going to throw down a pre-order for this soon so I can play the beta early. Aside from a couple Switch games, there isn’t too much else I’m getting for this year, and honestly, I want a game I can come back from work and hop into for an hour.

1 Like

Oh! According to EA, owning an EA Play subscription nets you access to the BF2042 beta early, too!
Not sure I’ll have too much time on the 6th and 7th to try it out, but I’ll be eligible next week to play it for the full 4 days!

#Battlefield 2042 Open Beta Early Access will be available on October 6-7 for all EA Play members. 🪖

Want to join the fight on Orbital? From now until September 30, new EA Play members on Xbox and PlayStation can sign up for only 99 cents! 🎉

Go here 👉 https://t.co/0WmLlwgEql pic.twitter.com/sTkDAHFHDn

— EA Play (@EAPlay) September 28, 2021
1 Like

I just pre-ordered the game. Got a discount for the Origin version from Green Man Gaming. I was going to buy the Steam version but in the fine print, it says you need Origin running and an EA account to play it regardless, so it seemed a bit pointless. Guess it’s the same with the Epic Games version.

But yeah, I’m excited for the beta. Should be interesting, I mean hopefully it runs alright considering the game’s launch is so nearby. Orbital does seem like a fun map, it’s going to be very interesting how 64 players vs 64 players should function. The appeal of Battlefield to me is getting to be part of a team rather than being a quick reflex killer, and I’m hoping that really is the case here.

Not quite sure if it will work the same way as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, but I purchased it from Steam and I can launch it entirely from Steam without Origin. There has only been one instance where Origin opened up after launching from Steam, it was due to a save file not getting synchronised.

I believe it’s the same with BF2042, but buying from GMG means you get those 14% off.

1 Like

Guess we’ll see, I assumed Battlefield would need Origin as a basis for its online.

Well, it seems I can’t get the open beta to pre-load on Origin. Some people have, some people haven’t judging from the Battlefield Reddit thread about it. It’s only 18GB which with my speed would only take 3-4 hours, but still, hoping whatever the issue is can be fixed by the time the beta actually starts tomorrow.

1 Like

You far from the only one suffering from this problem and I used the last hour or so dealing with the problem and getting it to work. If you are still having problems, try these solutions.

There is a few different ways I can be done.

1. Search Battlefield on Origin PC client
  2. Click the result from “Store results”, not from “Game library results”
  3. Click “Try it First”
  4. Beta page opens, click “Add to library”
  5. Go to your game library and click Battlefield 2042 Open Beta.
  6. Download
1 Like

Welp, EA Play on PS4 worked fine for me. Open Beta appears on the PS Store as free, and it’s downloading fine.

1 Like

Seems to of worked for me as well. Did what you said and I’m currently downloading the open beta through Origin after fiddling through EGS. Thanks for that.

Sadly I’m not off tomorrow, I decided to pull an extra shift as I do kindof need a little extra money, but I’m hoping to dive right into the game after my shift and on Thursday when I have the day off.

1 Like

Update: Don’t try the EGS fix, it has completely locked me out of the BF2042 beta. I’ll have to wait until the beta is open for everyone now. It have been quite the inconvenience, especially after using around 4 hours trying to fix the Origin bug. Then trying the EGS fix, which have now just made it worse. What annoys me the most is that EA’s overall response to the Origin bug, was more or less “Clear Origins cashe, it might work”. At least make disclaimer that one shouldn’t attempt the EGS work around.

I’m once again reminded why I hate Origin and now that Steam is an option, I should go with it. Sadly the 20% off deal at Greenmangaming made me go against my better judgment.

1 Like

Fantastic News.

Previously cross-gen was only available with the (in canada) 50$ more expensive Gold Edition for 130$.

Hearing that it’ll be available with any PS5 tier (10$ more than the PS4 base price) is good. Makes me feel less cheated if I get this for my PS4 in the future.

1 Like

Oops. Yeah, I’m locked out too, after wiping Origin’s cache and updating my driver. Previously it tried to launch but it just came up with an application error (number 25). Now it just says on EGS that it is “unavailable”, so I’m guessing we hope that it unlocks itself on the 8th when it goes fully public?

Ah well. Annoying stuff but at least the game itself isn’t that far off I guess.

1 Like

Damn, I’m sorry for you guys. Hopefully this hasn’t borked the whole beta for 2042, or even the game itself

Have other people reported a fix for the Origin issue by now? Or is it still broken for some?

1 Like

I might have found a fix, it worked for me. Go and download the EA App (open beta). Log in with your account information, then I browsed the store front for BF2042 and I had the option to “play” the beta. It still launched through EGS, but I can now play the game.

I hope this helps.

1 Like