The Mafia Series

A thread for appreciation (and civil criticism) of the Mafia series

besides Hitman it is my favorite title of all time,
3 and the 1 remake are ok imo,
but the real 1 and 2 are godly.

my youtube channel is mostly dedicated to it (also Hitman sometimes)
swing by and subscribe if you like what you see

4 Likes

1 is awesome. such a shame that 2 got cut so badly

2 Likes

I know what you mean, but I still think it has great style and unique gameplay experience even though they didn’t have time to implement every idea they had,
and the late story was dumbed down too but I still enjoy the delivery of it.

2 Likes

Couldn´t agree more. 2 could´ve been an absolute masterpiece if it wasn´t for the cuts (many of which I think were totally unnecessary and avoidable) and meddling from certain parties. And I would love to know what the original script was like. Despite that, it´s a great game with a tight and highly enjoyable campaign and the atmosphere is amazing, especially in the winter levels. The DLCs on the other hand are a disgrace, as is the absence of a free ride mode with Vito. Still, a “remake” would be amazing. Playing it with the Friends For Life mod almost makes you wanna cry…

4 Likes

Daniel Vávra had a lot of ideas for both Mafia 2 and 3, which seems it was going to be a totally different game from what we got in the end. Glad he could make KCD the way he wanted, without meddling from the upper suits.

3 Likes

Indeed. His basic idea for Mafia 3 sounded very interesting, and I wish he would get a chance to make the Mafia 2 as was originally intended. From his statement that he would prefer 2 to be remade rather than 1, it feels like a lot got changed. Still, props to the devs for producing such a high-quality game under the circumstances.

As for KCD, I haven´t played that yet. Definitely planning to in the future, but I´m not much into medieval settings, so it´s not high on my list atm :grin: (but glad he got to make that “independently” nonetheless)

2 Likes

could you link some interview of his or something else with more details about the original concepts?

5 Likes

@EvilGeniusRo Thanks for being quicker and posting videos with EN subtitles :grin:

I got the M3 concept info from the very same interview, and as far as I know, he hasn´t mentioned anything anywhere else. The other interview/stream I didn´t watch (it´s almost 6 hours long), but he mentioned the thing about Henry in a FB post regarding the M1 remake as well.

One of the saddest bits from the M2 cuts for me is how they gutted the Sicily mission. There was meant to be so much more… (apology, the video is only in Czech, but you get the idea - if necessary, I can translate it…)

1 Like

Yep, Sliderv2 has a lot of videos with cut content that’s still in the game files. Definitely worth checking out :smiley:

pssst, my avatar is actually from one of his videos

2 Likes

I’ve always loved the second one. Did a brilliant job of telling a true Mafia story where you actually felt part of a family.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Omg, I did NOT need to see that! Now I´m gonna hear “Moje prdel zůstane panna” (My ass is gonna stay a virgin) every time I see your profile pic :joy:

Great video though. I love how he used the original M1 voice for Tommy as well :heart:

2 Likes

Ave Maria video
(Blood Money song)
https://youtu.be/jNzh1bmSdMc

1 Like

@EvilGeniusRo Ok the more Sliderv2 videos I watch, the more I question the guy´s mental state… And I think I´m gonna upgrade to a screaming Vito pic in the future :joy:

1 Like

Well some people wish they had Sliderv2’s level of creativity. :laughing:

1 Like

Guess I´m one of them :smile:

On a side note, this particular video is all the more funny since Eddie and the Scary Movie killer share the same voice actor :laughing:

1 Like

Nick930 has recently made a video covering the series in case someone hasn´t watched it yet (shame that Hangar 13´s Cold War spy game didn´t get to see the light of day):

3 Likes

If you ever wondered how a mod that was 15 years in the making looks like :grin:
https://youtu.be/q6eeoy1grs0
9:50 for skipping the driving part, also not my video :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I recall there’s a few things. Pardon me for replying in this thread instead:

• Enemies are tougher to kill. They are not shown on radar either.

• Tommy’s health is weaker, so is the effect of replenishing it via a drug cabinet. You will only gain a quarter of the health bar.

• Timers on mission are more restricted.

• Traffic law is presented, and police’s reaction becomes more realistic. It means you will attract police attention from speeding and running red light.

• You can still freely adjust car handling, with default setting being ‘realistic.’

That’s all, I think. If I miss or get wrong about anything, let me know. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

3 Likes