The Mafia Series

Hope this means you’ll also try the race on classic :grin:

3 Likes

…no

I tried and failed on hard, theres no point in further torture.

4 Likes

I also had problems with it until I figured the power of the “ram” feature to take the curves :grin:

I doubt it was as bad as this guy :rofl:

1 Like

I did landed on Top once thanks to this stupid Grass Hill, so that really was something else, especially the the Total Stop Part Lol.

(I only watched 5 Minutes btw.)

1 Like

my passion for the original first game continues,
it is my favorite entry and I’ve got a few more videos about it on the way (the lack of content about it on youtube is a shame but I’m proud to be doing my part to fill that gap)

this is a series I’ve rolled out recently comparing it to another highly detailed game I love

6 Likes

What about Mafia IV? I knew something was moving… someonw knows more?

Current speculations and some rumours are putting the next game in a Las Vegas equivalent (or at least the us west coast) in the 70s.

It’s mostly comes from a collectibe found in the Mafia Remake. The 70s are pure speculation coming from the chronology of the previous titles and because 70s Las Vegas in the next big part of the american mafia mythos.

Cigarette_Card_16-1

Los Ondas seems to be the stand in for Los Angeles. See also : the whole Vice Departement chapter from LA Noire.

6 Likes

Yes i saw it in mafia de cards, so basically no new infos at all?

well there is this giving folks some hopium Hangar13GeForce

personally I’m not too excited about a Mafia 4, especially from Hangar 13 since they don’t understand what made the original 1 and 2 great

4 Likes

Nah, I wouldn’t say they don’t understand completely. They would at least understand a straight forward and linear structure of campaign is more popular after the remake received positive feedbacks. Although, they could add some interactive aspects to their open-world design. 2 is a perfect example for it.

Story wise, I find the remade cutscenes and characters pretty and compelling. New actors, advanced mo-cap techniques helped that. So did rewritten scripts and original scores. I enjoy Mafia 3’s story and acting too, even though it didn’t feature a mafioso story, but rather resembling Punisher/Rambo more. Unfortunately, its story chapters were unlocked after tons of side tasks and repetitive grinding.

But regardless, thanks for the info! I think I’d like to learn more about the next game whenever they’re ready to announce. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Those are fair positive points, I did enjoy some of that but my main gripe is that the levels themselves shouldn’t be so linear in design.

In the Remake you’re always prompted “go to this marker, perform this action, now on to the next marker etc.”

The beauty of the Original is that it just throws you in the sandbox and tells you the objective, then it’s up to you to explore multiple approaches (similar to what makes Hitman great)

2 Likes

One main strength of the first Mafia is it’s style of level design.

It is packed with tons of secrets which keep the player constantly discovering more, (also some funny bugs)

Check out my new video that shows some of the best! (no major spoilers)

5 Likes

A Mafia 4 would be nice, I enjoyed the remake, and I even had alot of fun with 3. If it isn’t worse than 3, beside the tech, which was unacceptable even for my standards, I’d be happy.

2 Likes

A nice little article of appreciation…

6 Likes

nice to see that, good point that many GTA fans were turned off by the patience-factor (though honestly I found GTA 5 to be exceptionally tedious)

I’ve been meaning to play a bit more of Illusion’s other games, specifically ‘Hidden & Dangerous 2’ which I’ve only started, it’s cool how much it looks like Mafia (because same engine)

2 Likes

You should check out Chameleon then. While it’s not made by Illusion, it uses Mafia’s LS3D engine

It is insanely rare, don’t think I ever saw it on Ebay or Amazon so it’s pretty much abandonware though I would even call it forgottenware

4 Likes

I know of it but never managed to obtain it, thanks for the link.

I believe the studio behind it was actually a ‘division’ of Illusion Softworks officed in Slovakia.

It looks amusing, it tried to resemble Splinter Cell a bit.

2 Likes

HaD2 is an awesome game. One of my childhood classics and one of the more unique WWII games. I´ve had it installed on my current laptop for over two years now but haven´t really gotten around to replay it again :grin: Gotta change that.

Damn, you beat me to it :grin: Was gonna recommend that as well. Coincidentally, I finally put it in my current laptop recently and was planning on starting playing tomorrow and posting around some screenshots. I´m one of the lucky buggers to have a copy of it (two actually) :smiley: And as mentioned below, it in fact is an Illusion game, even if it isn´t labeled as such :wink:

Both would be correct. The game was launched 2 years after it had been finished, without any marketing to speak of, in a very limited number of countries, and for a budget price. It really needs (and deserves) a mass resurrection. It is a great game.

Yup, Silver Wish Games was Illusion´s division (quotation marks definitely not needed) in Bratislava, so Chameleon basically IS an Illusion Softworks game. Petr Vochozka, head of Illusion, even served as Development Director on it (just as he did on Mafia and HaD2 among others).

Interestingly the link that Evil posted mentions that the Ukrainian release was DRM free. I was under the impression that the only such version was the Czech re-release :thinking:

Only very little. It´s got a bit of SC, a bit of Hitman, but is mostly really its own thing (unlike Death to Spies, which is like if HaD2 and Hitman had a baby :laughing: ).

2 Likes

Wondering if Mafia 2 was running on the same version of LS3D as Chameleon’s around 2004-2005 or was it running on something else :thinking:
https://youtu.be/vly-XmfFnmc

2 Likes

According to these, it was initially running on RenderWare (though Vávra mentioned last year LS3D was the original intended plan iirc):
https://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/jak-probihal-vyvoj-mafie-ii
https://mafia.gamecentral.cz/mafia-2-informace/vyvoj

4 Likes