The Mafia Series

Ho Ho Ho

2 Likes

I started Mafia Definitive last night… and was instantly turned off by the new cast. They sound like stereotypes to me now. Wasn’t a fan of the changes to the taxi chase, either. Pushing onward…

5 Likes

Is the english one? That’s awfull expecialy Paulie, i have the italian one and is perfect very very good, better than the original game italian dialogues. Try to play it in italian, and sub eng. Could be a thing.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind me ask, I wonder, during Visiting Rich People, what does Salvatore say (or shall I say, which language) in the Italian version? Does Tommy suddenly understand what he says?

3 Likes

He speak strictly southern italian dialects mix, very difficult to understand for a guy from Rome like me. I say southern because isn’t really sicilian, a friend from there told me… Tommy says “i don’t remember the dialect”, in the italian version.

3 Likes

About the dub, a thing wich me and my best friend miss from hitman 2, contracts and BM is Giorgio Melazzi wich was the italian dubber of 47 (also Max Payne and Frank Coletti in the original Mafia game)… He was our David Bateson, sadly the dubber of 47 in absolution was totally trash, he sounded like Batman, very out of theme. So, in the end we’re fine with David Bateson.

2 Likes

I played through it last week and enjoyed it, though I can understand the (English) voice acting turns you off. Paulie and Sam are awfully squeaky and Tommy’s VA isn’t exactly great either.

I play the Czech version so thankfully I don’t have to put up with it. They brought back most of the original cast, so at the most I tend to compare how well they do compared to 20 years ago.

I can understand you didn’t like the taxi chase changes. Wasn’t thrilled either. But I think it gets better later when the mission changes are more sensible.

Damn, now you got me intrigued.

4 Likes

I mean mafia could be a thing in Ita dub, u should try. Is very well done.

1 Like

Btw i know is a fight between fans this mafia remake, but thanks to 2k we have it, and i felt really happy to play it, i really enjoyed this remake!

2 Likes

This news is from early March, but I forgot to post it here. Not sure whether it´s widely known, but the Mafia series is getting an artbook released in late August to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the first game. It´s definitely going to be available in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and apparently Poland as well, though I haven´t bumped into any info yet on whether it will be more widely available internationally.

4 Likes

this is the first time I’ve heard of it, looks promising.
HitmanEyes - Copy
(^an attempt at porting Agent 47 to Mafia 1)

3 Likes

The Mafia Trilogy is now on GOG if that´s where you wanna have and play it. Mafia 2 and 3 DEs are automatically free for owners of the originals, which have now been delisted, just like on Steam, but there´s no info on whether you get OG M2 if you didn´t have it and will buy the crappy DE version.

2 Likes

20th anniversary interview with some of the long-time devs:

4 Likes

Reminder

You can grab a free copy right now :slightly_smiling_face:

Note that it does not include any of the licensed soundtrack so head over to PCGamingWikia to find out how to add it back.

3 Likes

Some people (who are about to play it for the first time) might find these useful (download links included):

I´d probably stick with the music, WS and DD fixes only (plus maybe the HD fonts) and wouldn´t go for the graphics improvements before playing the game with its original visuals at least once, but maybe that´s just my love and nostalgia talking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Side note: draw distance can actually be increased in-game by typing “cumdal”, though you have to do it every time you enter the city map, so the DD fix is obviously better as a permanent option.

3 Likes

Why stop at graphics mods :grin:

3 Likes

You posted the answer right then and there :laughing:

3 Likes

good call, in fact the DD increaser is built-in to the WS fix.
the graphics mods from ‘community pack’ make load times dead slow anyway.
at the end of my video I show how to use nvidia control panel to simply enhance the vanilla graphics.

2 Likes

This is how Mafia 1 looked for me back in the day :grin:

4 Likes

So, the Mafia 2 Final Cut mod has apparently been released in some sort of first form. MGV is doing a playthrough with it. While it´s great they´re reviving things like the respect system or use of melee weapons in the main story (visible in the Chapter 2 playthrough), as well as side quests, I was kinda hoping they´d be able to expand the Sicily mission a bit. Sadly not…

2 Likes