The negativity towards Hitman 3

I totally agree with you.

One thing is to be critic, the other is to be whining and crying all the time about fears and little mistakes and things like that

3 Likes

A lot of it I think comes from a place of love but it’s misdirected or just frustration. People wanted some new things out of the third game and maybe had specific things in mind. A lot of that seems to be in comparison with earlier games in the franchise (a thing existed in Contracts or Blood Money so they must include it in H3 now!). The idea that is wasn’t included makes some people frustrated and they take it out on the game by saying it will suck. It won’t. I’ve always taken the position that if it was nothing more than more levels for H2, I’d love it. The fact that they have added some new items, better weather, new mechanics, and gone back and integrated that into previous levels is well worth the money even if certain things aren’t included.
I can understand that people want different lighting, certain mechanics like working elevators, different weapons or items, or whatever, but if those things aren’t in the game, that doesn’t mean the game is bad. If Hitman 1 was good, and Hitman 2 was good, then Hitman 3 will also be good, by definition because it’s basically the same game with a few improvements. That’s a good thing!

8 Likes

I just want to add to my previous sentiments that of course criticism and healthy skepticism definitely has its place. I have always contributed to that side of the discussion as well. But a lot of what I’ve been seeing on here during the last couple of weeks seems to be rooted in a kind of entitlement. It has been about H3 not meeting people’s personal and very specific demands for the game.

5 Likes

Oh, I really understand you. It upsets me, but I try not to react because I can’t do anything about it. I really love Hitman and really love IOI. I am ready to love them even for the worst failures.

1 Like

I feel an important aspect of the Cynic approach (ie “I am preparing myself for the worst”) is it’s about preparing yourself for the worst. That said with the history of small riots occurring when new Hitman games are released, and they are exactly what IO-Interactive told us they would be rather than what people independently imagined they might be, I am kind of grateful for a bit of communal reality grounding as appropriate.

4 Likes

I imagine many people are anxious and nervous to see what the last 5 years of IO’s hard work and design culminates in. Especially with H3 being hyped basically as “the ultimate HITMAN experience” for years to come, there are going to be a lot of extremely high expectations attached with that type of marketing.

But of course, for the experience the game has provided for the last several years, especially being an “always evolving” online experience, there additionally comes yet another expectation that community feedback is valued and understood. This creates an incentive specifically of providing feedback with the outcome of informing developers of issues that may not always be apparent without a community perspective.

For some who have spent a great deal of their time and energy towards giving feedback to a franchise/developer that they really care about, it can be frustrating when many years of similar feedback seems to go nowhere. Because of that, sometimes criticism can be a bit heated. People that have a higher degree of passion and emotional attachment to something will be more outspoken, naturally.

Admittedly, I can be quite guilty of obsessing over small details and translating my observations critically. Although my only sort of criticism has really been towards the lighting discussion, as I’m quite happy with a lot of what I am seeing in these previews. My opinion of Hitman 3 is quite positive. I am excited and happy for IO and am looking forward to enjoying what they have created.

That said, it’s also important to remember that contrived positivity/optimism can also lead to an extremely toxic atmosphere which discourages discussion or criticism.

Balance is always very important.

10 Likes

it’s a lot easier (and people tend to be more driven) to write reams of criticism, whereas when you like something, it tends to be just a couple of adjectives long.

or just a nod of the head.

2 Likes

I would argue the Hitman subreddit is infinitely more bitch-ey about things than this forum.

4 Likes

tbh it’s reddit…

6 Likes

why Agent 47 when climb on ladders holds the ladder by its base and not by the usual handrails

2 Likes

it’s actually faster to climb like that

I say a balance is required. We don’t want fans whining and complaining all the time, cursing IOI and making everyone miserable, but we also don’t want to be blind to Hitman’s flaws or to be afraid to voice criticisms.

I am not negative towards IO or Hitman 3 not showing complete overhaul to the 3rd game in the trilogy. Slight disappointed? yes, mainly due to return of Mark 2 stickeros in the form of Mark 3 lmao. Animations ARE surely hella smoother, but not something new, like new fiber wire or takedown animations (yet to be seen).

But having some expectations of improvements is not bad, considering Hitman 2016 is going to be half a decade old soon.

But then again, the sounds, gameplay, reload, new main menu theme, improved Screen Space Reflections, reduced Bloom and Lens Flares (Legacy Maps), and a few new weapons are a very welcome change indeed!

My only big wishlist item is IO providing official modding support like Skyrim, so modders can go ham, change weapons, player skins, weapon skins, add/remove/modify animations and all sorts of fun stuff.
Maybe provide a community hub to create small maps, so we can use the tools to create our own versions of OG Hitman levels.

In the end, IO has and will have my love and full support, if they keep respecting their games (no micro transactions and other garbage), along with respecting the community :smiley:

3 Likes

It would be great if people learned to express their criticism without anger and whining. Sometimes, reading this, I am surprised, why do people in principle play this game if it annoys them so much and they are absolutely unhappy with everything. This is not clear to me. Their negative moods is their entire lives. I probably shouldn’t blame anyone, but spreading negativity on any occasion is not very healthy behavior. At the same time, people who are mostly happy and content can endlessly express their delight just inside themselves emotionally enjoying it, they have nothing to say. I really enjoyed the breakdown of new lighting effects in Dubai here First 5 Minutes of DUBAI (Gameplay) - Discussion - #263 by cake941. This is truly an ode to the love of this game, I am so glad it was published.

3 Likes

Oh come on now, guys. Cheer up and show some optimism that things will be calm and stay zen on the forum :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Where did you get that from? I have seen a direct H2/HIII comparison video and the bloom has been literally identical in both games, and no bloom setting is available in the options menu.

2 Likes

bloomin’ hell

2 Likes

Maybe i’m not reading the forum enough but i’ve not seen as much negativity this time around (Apart from maybe the guy who made an entire thread about how Hitman wasn’t popular enough to keep existing despite it being a franchise for over 20 years)

9 Likes

My main (and only) point of contention really is the Epic exclusivity which has no bearing on the quality of the game. It has definitely been a bit of a buzzkill though.

5 Likes

A lot of this stuff though is mainly coming from people who either genuinely hate the game enough to disrupt the community, or they’re misinformed at what this game will bring. Mainly it’s types of videos like this that has lead this sort of thinking which I’m sure you’ve seen floating around by now.

Video games in general has become polarized to a point where people can form opinions about games for at least years before people played them. And it’s terrifying to think that the time period from people knowing the game is released it can have devastating results. That same person who made that video hadn’t played Cyberpunk 2077 when he made it, and yet he got extremely lucky that he was right about how people disliked how buggy/empty the game is. I imagine this has boosted his views a bit and now has targeted his next victim, which happens to be this game now.

People generally don’t like being challenged like that. It’s as if though people want to enjoy their favourite games without being assblasted by someone with negative reactions. If people want to enjoy them that’s perfectly fine to do so. I guess I could say it’s circlejerky to some, but to me it’s how I see communities like that.

They also want to be informed of what they’re buying. Maybe they just learned of this game and they want to try it. Maybe their friend has introduced the game to them and wanted to try it for themselves. Maybe they saw it in some meme. But the basis of where those people come from - they all want to get in on the fun. And that’s when those videos like Michael Does Life come in, they disrupt the flow of interest and ruin the integrity of the media. That to me is a problem for me and I wish some people would focus on what they’re buying than a self-repressed internet critic who just picked up views and wants to spread negativity.

5 Likes