The Nintendo Thread

New info on the Sanrio/1st Anniversary update for Animal Crossing:

In short, it’s got a few nice things but not substantial enough. Where’s any new NPCs? (Brewster? Kapp’n? Resetti?) Nook Shop upgrades hidden in the files? Just a bunch more cosmetic items, which, while nice, is boring to people looking for new sources of progression after completing most of the base content.

In this update we got:

• 1st Anniversary Cake (that’s it for celebrating it?)
  • Sanrio Collab - Amiibo Cards (sold at Target in the US, online internationally, stores vary)
  • Custom Designs Pro Editor+ add-on. (Adds customization for umbrellas, small flags, uchiwa fans and photo stands. Also adds 50 more design and Pro design slots. Freakin’ finally.)
  • Custom Design Portal App for your NookPhone. (No longer will we be restricted to the Ables Shop and the hours of 8am to 9pm!)
  • More Seasonal Items
    • March 26-April 1st: April Fools Day whoopee cushions.
    • April 1st to April 30th: Prom Season clothing at Ables.
  • New External Service: Island Tour Creator! A limited-time web service (available until the end of the year) letting you use screenshots and videos of your island to make travel posters and trailers to share online.
  • Build-a-Bear Collection coming to their online store soon.
  • [Not mentioned in the blog post:] The Nook Link on the Nintendo Online App will get an update in late March too. You’ll be able to collect “Nook Points” each day to redeem for prizes within Animal Crossing New Horizons.
1 Like

Well, I’m 20+ hours into FE:3H. Finally gotten into it, but ooh, I wish the tutorial and introductory segments were a bit better. I don’t know, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, but I feel like from the few JRPGs I’ve touched, it always feels its a struggle to get into them. I don’t know maybe if its because Western RPGs are just more intent on hand holding or something, but I dunno, I do feel like I had to properly invest myself into this before it finally grabbed me after like 6 hours.

Anyway, I’m having fun. I am playing on casual, which strips the perma-death out of the game, which is probably a good thing since I tend to lose at least 1 or 2 units per battle, and by this point half the school’s kids would be dead by now in my hands. So the game isn’t really too hard at this point, probably because of that, but y’know, I’m still having fun. I do like both halves of the game, with the battle system being enjoyable, and then interacting with the students, and the plot slowly unfolding… even though I’m still not really sure what the plot actually is. Lots of intrigue and seemingly everyone has some mysterious back story and what not.

But yeah, I’m enjoying myself. Good game. Not really sure though if I enjoy it enough to ever seek past games, I know there is a few on the 3DS alone. But I mean if they do make another game for Switch, I’ll definetly be interested.

So, uh, I beat Fire Emblem: Three Houses, with a playtime of nearly 60 hours. Oops. I don’t think I’ve been addicted to a game like this for years. Mind you I’ve been on holiday this week with very little to do, so I could really dedicate the time to a game. Just, good grief, once this game has its claws in you…

And the crazy thing is, I kindof want to jump in and start a new game immedietly. Probably one of the coolest parts of this game is how the story works. Granted, alot of it is cliche, you play THE CHOSEN ONE who wields destiny and what not. But what I love is that at the start of the game, you have to choose one of the three titular houses to lead as, each house having 10 or so characters associated with them. With my playthrough, I chose red house. But the other two houses, well, you don’t really find out alot of what they do and what their characters because you’re busy with red house, and by the end of the game, it’s obvious that you’ve missed so many story elements, sub-plots, and character drama with the blue and yellow houses. You’re the chosen one, but it doesn’t feel like the world revolves around you and that you get filled in with everything, people actually have to like and trust you.

I’m kindof torn if I want to start a new game or not, and I’m also torn if I want to just dive into the Fire Emblem wiki and basically find out all the info that I missed on my playthrough. It doesn’t help that these is a new game + feature that lets you speed up certain elements of the game, and also a DLC expansion pass that adds a new seperate side campaign but also adds a bunch of small features to the base game as well.

Urgh, I don’t know. I feel like the responsible adult on me wants to move on, I’ve still got Astral Chain on my Switch to play, and there’s a few other Switch games I want to get, including other meaty JRPGs Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. That and I want to start Evil Genius 2 on my PC and I also got Persona 4 on my PC a while ago and I should really start that.

Ah the joy of limited time with work. I go back to work tonight actually and I really don’t want to go, feel like a kid wanting to skip school to play video games.

2 Likes

After a year and a half of smash bros, I’m finally getting very, very good. Some friends that used to waste me are now losing to me.
The big downside of having a giant roster is that it is impossible to find your perfect character. I’ve played Wario, Roy, and Lucas for months but now I primarily play Peach and Pokemon Trainer. I always think I’ll stick with a character and I usually don’t. But I think Peach in particular fits my style very well.
Anyone else love this game?

3 Likes

I do, and I usually have the same feelings about the roster. I’ve got all the characters unlocked, so it’s really daunting when you just want to find a character that fits you.

Funny enough, one of my favourite things in Smash Ult. is jumping into the online mode just to spectate matches. I’m only… Decent-ish… (and not very good online) But I love watching people better than me play.

If part of you still has Three Houses on the brain, I say do it. Maybe don’t buy the expansion pass when you’ve still got a lot of other things to get into, but try it again, if you can do a NG+ with a different house, even better.

2 Likes

I think I will. I actually think I will buy the expansion pass though, because like I say half of it is a new campaign, but the other half is basically just adding features to the base campaign as well, and I think it would be nice to have that extra content on my second runthrough.

I don’t think I’ve been genuinely addicted to a game like this in at least the last couple of years. It’s rather astonishing.

Just need to choose whether to go down Blue house or Yellow house. Think I will choose Yellow.

1 Like

Ah, okay then.

I actually did the same thing when I first got Zelda BOTW. Someone convinced me that owning the Expansion Pass earlier in your playthrough (or just owning it at all) is really useful. There’s a bunch of extra special DLC armor, some bonus quests and shrines you get after reaching a certain part in the game and lots more cutscenes that flesh out the characters, world, and story of BOTW. (Plus they’re way more useful to someone who hasn’t beaten the game, instead of someone who already completed the main story).

Granted, I haven’t gotten to the point where I’ve unlocked the bonus quests and shrines (I think I need to beat all 4 divine beasts before that happens), but I’ve discovered some of the bonus DLC items. Some of them are pretty useful.

1 Like

I’ve beaten BOTW but never bought the expansion pass. So that might be true, early game in BOTW really does kick you in the gut alot with your very low health bar. But to be honest while I like BOTW, it is a game I have a lot of nitpicks with. Doubt I’ll return to it for a long time. May get the sequel depending on how much stays the same or is changed.

To be honest, this talk reminds me of Fallout: New Vegas. When that game came out, it seems the publisher’s signed deals with 5 different game stores that let you start the game with unique items depending if you pre-ordered the game from one of the 5 game chains. But after a year or so, they bundled the 5 pre-order packs into a cheap DLC, think called the Wasteland Wanderer pack or so forth. So when you own that and start a new game, you start with like a dozen items that makes the 5-10 levels of the game easy, but then they all become useless by around level 10.

1 Like

Lol that’s neat.

Also (-- apologies, but --) screw retail-exclusive (and pre-order exclusive for that matter) DLC.
Jedi Fallen Order had the (almost) best use of it I’ve heard of. They included special DLC for a lightsaber design, light, etc. as a pre-order bonus, then about a month or two after the game launched they patched in that content to every player for free. Now that’s nice.

1 Like

Glares at the Sarajevo Six.

1 Like

Yeah, platform-exclusive content sucks (business-wise) too.

Though I have a mixed opinion on platform-exclusive games overall.

1 Like

I’m amazed the Sarajevo Six wasn’t a timed exclusive though. It has become the trend that usually exclusive digital content will get re-released down the line, often just to resell to the people it wasn’t available too. It just bugs me, because despite how I assume the reason we still haven’t seen it is because whatever deal was signed is tied up with Square Enix and Sony, it’s basically worthless now, since the whole point of it was to tempt people to buy the PS4 version, a console that is now being phased out.

It would be terrible if IOI can’t get it back because either Square Enix or Sony wants a stupid amount of money for it.

2 Likes

Reminder that Mario died last night, aged 35. He will forever be missed. Nintendo will be held on trial for the circumstances of his disappearance and murder on April 1st, 20XX. The disappearance of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is still under investigation.

Mario leaves behind 9 games on the Nintendo Switch, not including Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy.

Zelda and Link are available for counselling and birthday party arrangements, starting sometime this summer.

3 Likes

Just need the Crash Bandicoot suit guy to come out and say “my games are still on the Switch and they’re not being taken away.”

1 Like

…Sony does what Ninten-Don’t?

2 Likes

To any Animal Crossing peoples: the website to make Posters and Island Tour Videos is now up (and has been for a few weeks, it seems)

Looks like a bit of fun to fool around with.
Note: Nintendo will take this website offline on December 31st, 2021.

2 Likes

Typo and it should be 2021. I don’t usually care about typos but there is a pretty noticeable change here.

1 Like

Lol, oops you’re right. Time is weird.

Super Mario 35 may be dead, but we now have Pac-Man 99.

6 Likes

Me back in 1999 thinking I was funny “wow they made 63 other Mario games before this?”

Me in 2021 thinking I am still funny “wow they made 98 other Pacman games before this?”

3 Likes