The Safehouse Thread

Contracts and Blood Money, sure. But in Silent Assassin 47 had his gardener outft, winter camouflage and Afghan civilian outfit so not all the misions were started in his usual suit.

1 Like

When itā€™s region appropriate, heā€™ll change, but only for that. WoA had its own version of that with Isle of Sgail; itā€™s the only map where anything other than the two versions of the tuxedo mask outfit just donā€™t feel right, unless you plan on going full stealth and stay out of everyoneā€™s sights the entire time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s where using the Wetsuits or Raven Suit come in play for me. Starting location for these being the Keep infiltration.

Raven suit is too flashy to not show off, and the wet suits donā€™t actually get wet enough to justify their existence except for the underwater exit in Mendoza.

I take the wetsuits as Hitmanā€™s equivalent of Sneaking Suit from MGS.

3 Likes

All this talk about what 47 will wear while in the safehouse and nobody mentions the Waikiki Inn turquoise silk bathrobe? :triumph:

10 Likes

I see I am alone with my opinion here :sweat_smile: in the end I donā€™t really care since I will play with Grey anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Tetrafish_21 That would be some very cool easter egg actually :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No I didnā€™t, itā€™s the fact 47 only worn a different outfit in maybe 3 or 4 missions, but the rest of the game he predominantly wears the black suit and gloves, so they outshine the 4 or so missions where he doesnā€™t wear the suit in my opinion.

Yeah youā€™re totally right and like I said above, 47 predominately wears the suit for most of Silent Assassin aside from maybe 4 or so missions, so those missions wear he didnā€™t start in the usual suit can be easily overlooked in my opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree with the Afghan civilain outfit, but Winter Camouflage is so stylish thatā€™s impossible to forget. Thereā€™s even fanart of 47 in it. :eyes:

If 47 canā€™t wear some form of this in the safehouse, I will be very disappointed.

12 Likes

check out those dogs

1 Like

Despite all negativity towards Absolution I LOVE that game and I like too see more connection and references in safehouse. I donā€™t like why IOI is cutting off from Absolution. There is only two references a Terminus Outfit which is my favourite and Blake Dexter.

Birdie is one of my favourite characters and I would love to met him again. But also put to Hitman universe Kane & Lynch, they fit perfectly

Just imagine that in Chongqing we met them as weapon smugglers. That would be sweet (damn square enix license)

1 Like

All of that, all of it = :face_vomiting:

(I was very much not a fan of the characters, story or tone of Absolution, youā€™ll be surprised to learnā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:)

7 Likes

There were quite a few things that made absolution not very well liked within the community.

The first thing is that the mechanics / rating system isnā€™t very well made at all. Itā€™s completely busted in every way, never leaning fully into stealth or into combat. The checkpoint system is also terribly made, as well as the inventory system

The second thing is the tone of the story, the grind house theme is very offputting and jarring in not a good way. The hypersexualization and crassness of the humor doesnā€™t blend well with 47 and the serious story itā€™s trying to portray. The series has done well with dark tones and sexual elements before, but in this case it was applied in a way thatā€™s not enjoyable.

The third thing was the levels themselves, absolution underwent massive changes in style and methodology with major pivots throughout development and as such the game is far too short and linear in a lot of places, some of the levels are just generally bad as well.

Also the plot of fighting the ICA is completely wasted. The best parts of Hitman games are when 47 fights other assassins, and yet the ICA barely makes an appearance outside of attack of the Saints and operation sledgehammer (shocker, the two best set pieces in the game IMO). We should have seen many more confrontations with various different assassins with different tactics, as well as that feeling of being hunted more.

Then we get to some of the story beats, which were either rushed or badly implemented. Birdy and Dexter are good (despite Dexter being one of the purveyors of the grind house theme, he has an infectious energy and charisma about him that makes him interesting). Birdy doesnā€™t have a conclusion or actual ark either.

However everyone else has major issues all the way through:

47 for starters is a walking disaster, and absolutely nothing like his usual self, he gets caught and fails for no reason multiple times.

Victoria didnā€™t get nearly enough screen time, that bond with 47 should have been more pivotal and had more time to develop so that players cared about her more. I see such wasted potential here, she was such an interesting idea that was boiled down to a simple motivator to get from level to level

Cosmo Faulkner and the police storyline is completely and utterly pointless, despite taking up like half of the cutscenes (I mean seriously itā€™s ridiculous, his role is so overplayed for how little of an impact he has on the actual story)

Dianaā€™s ā€œdeathā€ changes 47, despite how he should know that sheā€™s alive last minute? I mean the shower moment is replayed multiple times throughout the game showing that it had an effect on 47, but how could it if she was still alive?

Benjamin Travis is like the rest of the ICA betrayal storyline, tragically underplayed for what it could have and should have been.

I could actually talk at length about what I think could/should have been done with absolution to make it more interesting and better accepted by fans. Iā€™m not going to get into it (especially since nobody has asked for it). However if we ever end up getting a series retrospective remaking / retelling of 47s entire storyline, we could get something a lot more people would have enjoyed.

It definitely was a valuable learning experience for IOI though, and Iā€™m actually glad they underwent it. Thereā€™s also some cool leftover ideas and levels that were never actually implemented that I would like to see in future entries,

4 Likes

I know very well what is good and what is bad - but still itā€™s very subjective. I personaly love Absolution because gaved me a lot great memories and nostalgia, iā€™ve spend a +700 hours in game despite all that bad things. But this is not the topic - question is, why some characters litterally donā€™t exist anymore like Absolution would never will happened.

I know that IOI may be not proud what they have done, but still - I would like to see some of these characters as some kind of reference in that same maner like some of characters from past games have own place in WoA.
Few Examples: Sapienza with Tommy Clemenza shop, Cosmo Faulkner retired in Whitteon Creek working in garden, Birdie maybe as a Elusive Target etc. There is a plenty of quite characteristics NPC that could be showed in some way in WoA no matter if story vise Absolution is good or not.

But IOI treat that as will never happened and this is something that I donā€™t understand.

as little offtopic:

And if comes to Absolution - I personaly to be honest donā€™t care what people think about it, because for me was a great game, maybe not best Hitman, but whole atmosphere of noir and that redneck was damn good and very unique. You may like it or not, but you canā€™t denied that Absolution is very memorable because itā€™s consistent in style what it is. And this is something that makes this game why I loved so much.

There was only two things which I think is bad no matter how you look at Absolution. Outfit system where everyone with this same could recognise you and cutted small locations which could be a one big location in WoA maner. Dexter Industries could be a one big map, Streets of Hope also one big map - that would totaly make a diffrence how game is received. Point Save system and Point Shooting System - I never used anyway, so I donā€™t even noticed how bad it is.

Absolution is like an old movies - you know there is a plenty of weird shit but you love anyway no matter how bad it could be, because bring you a lot of good memories, and this is what games should be, right?

Ah, of course, the wondrous power of nostalgia-tinted glasses. Theyā€™ve the incredible ability to convince those who wear them that a steaming turd is a multi-carat diamond.

2 Likes

If Absolution would be a bad game - then no one will remember it. And I remember a lot od details, back then gaved me a lot of fun playing (+700 hours yo!) and afterwards I still love to get back. Bad game would never do that. Problem is that people compare Absolution to other games and say itā€™s a very bad game! And this is wrong - itā€™s a great game, but not so great Hitman game. And this is all about.

Thatā€™s your opinion. For me, Absolution is a bad game. Not compared to other games. Not as a Hitman game. Just all by itself. It is a misogynistic, sexist piece of shit, and I personally donā€™t care that they treat it as if it never happened. I do the same.

And Iā€™m sorry for my choice of words, but I really canā€™t find a better description for this game.

Edit: I just want to add that I am not talking about game mechanics. I think with Absolution they did much progress in that case and Iā€™m glad they kept some of it for the WoA trilogy. My problem with Absolution comes to the story and the characters and unfortunately that makes it unplayable for me.

10 Likes

+1 to @Miniā€™s post above.

In terms of plot, characters and general tone I found Absolution repulsive. It canā€™t be denied that mechanically it introduced features that transitioned the janky Hitman gameplay of the Blood Money days into the smooth AAA experience of the WoA that we know and love, but as an immersive narrative experience it immersed me in the juvenile tasteless mind of a particularly stupid teenage edgelord. Yuck.

Eternally glad that the WoA trilogy moved the series towards a classier tone that suits both the gameplay and a narrative experience that doesnā€™t want to make players throw up in their mouths as they go.

10 Likes