The Update That Could Kill Hitman Speedrunning

HITMAPS seemingly already knows.

5 Likes

This aged like fine milk

2 Likes

I mean, he’s not fully wrong since it was unintentional.

3 Likes

Yeah it was unintentional. I’m not that upset. We kinda figured it was gonna be taken out for a month now.

OP references my vid so I might as well post it. But the comments in the video section are worth reading.

3 Likes

Particle boost useful for exploring Villa Caruso in Landslide, the Swedish Consulate in A House Built on Sand, Rangan Tower in Illusions Of Grandeur, etc. You have the entire place to yourself and it doesn’t really help with speed running per say.

2 Likes

I think you can still subdue glitch to reach these, but it’s much more difficult to pull off.

I believe IO plans to unfix the particle glitch in another update as it was apparently only intended for Freelancer which makes sense as it’s supposed to be excruciatingly difficult.

Yes, if you read the patch notes, they are planning to bring particle boosting back.

As a point of clarification for anyone reading this who isn’t involved in Hitman speedrunning:

Downpatching is possible (in online game mode no less), see here for a guide: Downpatching | HitRuns Wiki

However, the Hitman speedrun community has traditionally only played on current patch, and retroactively removed runs from the speedrun.com leaderboards as newer patches appeared that invalidated past runs.

The Frote7 Speedrun Community Discord similarly has historically only allowed current patch runs for their contract competitions / roulette.

There are several reasons for why downpatching has historically not been used in speedruns much (both for speedrun.com and in F7SC etc), including inclusion for console players, avoiding creating too many speedrun categories (e.g. downpatched and current patch), and simply that the methods for downpatching were not super well documented, especially with the Epic Game edition of the game.

Overall, speedrunning has always been a community defined endeavor.

The in-game leaderboards are and always have been meaningless due to lack of verification of cheaters, the fact that old patch times are never scrubbed from them, no cross-platform leaderboards in-game, etc.

I’m glad that IOI is willing to listen to the community here and reverse an unpopular change to support the speedrunners who want to remain on current patch.

I’m reminded of the time that IOI similarly brought back shoulder swap after removing it at the start of Hitman 3’s launch in 2021.

7 Likes

Well said.

And when the woosh sound effect was brought back. After accidently being patched out for a week. I think they were all unintentional.

Well idk about the shoulder swap. That and the briefcase might have been the only intentional ones.

3 Likes

Muffins

15 Likes

IOI: the update that could save hitman speedrunning

7 Likes

I assume in HM3 that Vatican Privilege is now officially unbeatable now that particle exploit is gone?

2 Likes

It’s not, I don’t remember particle playing a role in that?
It was just shooting the priest’s body off the roof if it did not fall off by itself.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s possible. I tried everything nothing gets his body to budge.

2 Likes

You need to shoot the legs (bring a sniper). Generally their physics are wackier and the body will move a lot more.

2 Likes

Sometimes the priest falls off the building by himself, you don’t even have to shoot him.

2 Likes

Still all about luck. Hopefully they’ll unfix the particle glitch though we shouldn’t assume they will.

1 Like

There were 2 ways to get to the Priesty-poo britches. Either particle boost over the bell-tower railing, or shoot him off the roof (assuming he’s on the best side and not the side going towards the water)… Or even shoot him while he’s falling mid-air. But that’s less likely to happen than a particle boost.

2 Likes

It’s possible to shoot the body from the pier side (by sniping from near the anchor), then you just have to detonate an explosive on the pier to panic everyone while you grab the disguise.

That’s how I did it lol

I actually made a redux of that mission that kept all the complications but added all shots must hit so that one definitely unwinnable at least not with all five stars.

1 Like