TV Show Discussion Thread

Half way through Snowpiercer season one, I was very hesitant watching the TV show due to finding the 2013 movie version to be one I the worst experiences I have suffered. Luckily the TV show is great and very engaging.

4 Likes

It’s such an interesting way of handling the topic of grief, and even more so in that it plays with one of my biggest complaints about the MCU, that there are no stakes because no one stays dead.

Wanda has done things that Vision will find horrifying out of love and grief and how much can she expect him to understand.

3 Likes

Any The Punisher fans around here? I’ve been watching both seasons over the past month and got really into it. Quite surprised and disappointed that Netflix cancelled the show in 2019. Its pretty good and does things almost no other show even dares in terms of voilence.

Snowpiercer is a interesting show. It suffers from a dreadful filler feeling some times, but still somehow remains engaging. I watch it every week with my mate in Copenhagen. Think we both prefer season 2 tho because it has more of a political slant, whereas S1 had a detective slant. Plus obviously I love Sean Bean playing Wilford. Giving me that Mark Faba fix that Hitman can’t

1 Like

I do prefer the detective style of season one. However it’s also interesting that the show changes styles. That said I didn’t know that du er Dansk og lever i KBH. Man lære noget nyt hver dag.

1 Like

Actually, jeg er Britisk og lever i Storbritannien :wink: My best friend from university just lives in CPH so we video call and watch snowpiercer together. Beautiful city tho, I’m completely jealous

1 Like

I loved both seasons but the writing was on the wall when Netflix started cancelling all the other Marvel series.

I read recently that Marvel now re owns the rights again to the franchise so hopefully fingers crossed they can bring him back :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

They’ll have to include a time skip at this point. The gang is now away at university and Hopper is a grizzled, brainwashed KGB agent

1 Like

Yep, Jon Bernthal is easily the best onscreen version of the character for me.
Enjoyed the first season of the show, but struggled with the second a bit. Haven’t finished it.
I think the show smoothed off the rough edges of the character a little too much second season , and I missed Micro. Really enjoyed the interaction between the characters

1 Like

I’m gonna miss the sitcom format of Wandavision.

The latest episode had a twist villain introduced, but unfortunately I’ve seen all the fan theories made months ago and they’ve all been right on the money. (though it did make it easy to see the hints of suspicious villainy throughout the show). I’m hoping that the series doesn’t just become a ‘Vision and Wanda vs. Agatha. They win. The end.’ I’ve been expecting the show to build up to a total breakdown due to grief that either turns Wanda to the dark side or let’s her achieve clarity and acceptance. Personally, the first scenario just sounds more interesting if it ties into the next Doctor Strange film. But it really hurts to see these characters in pain.

The latest intro is my least favourite musically nope. It’s growing on me. It’s got the same beat as The Office, and the notes are just shifted up and down a bit. It’s my most favourite in terms of tension. Freaked me out seeing a lot of Wanda but a lack of Vision. That synth though is killer.
https://youtu.be/-OBgafsHr_Y

The ending musical sequence is really neat and was a great way to tie up all the sitcom spoofs they’ve done the past few weeks. It’s stuck in my head.

2 Likes

I was actually really disappointed that they revealed Agnes was pulling the strings. I thought it would be so much more interesting and meaningful if it was all just Wanda doing horrible things out of denial and grief.

1 Like

I’m a bit dissapointed that there’s an actual string-pulling villain as well, but I don’t think this is meant to be a sign that Agatha was behind everything in this show, just the separation of Wanda and Vision as well as the subliminal messaging to have kids near the start of the show.

As shown in previous episodes, Wanda does seem to have some sort of agency over the Hex what with being able to “rewind” a scene, reinforce the barrier with her powers as well as expand the borders.
I believe the Hex and the kidnapping of an entire town is still Wanda’s fault, as well as her inability to let go of it. But I bet her and Vision are going to have some bonding time fighting with Agatha, trying to keep their perfect life and children intact and uninterrupted. Then, having to accept that life is fleeting – as is the integrity of the Hex border and illusion, being spread so thin.

Pretty sure we might be getting a flashback moment in the next few episodes of how Wanda stealing Vision’s corpse came to be, and I’m sure that’ll be a very emotionally-charged, angry sequence.

1 Like

I want to believe that but her credit sequence was literally called It was Agatha All Along.

I think they could rescue it by showing Wanda at a crossroads of sorts, like she’s about to go through the process of mourning Vision and letting him go when Agatha feeds her the intel that SWORD is experimenting on his corpse. Just a little nudge to push her into a fury and then she hangs around to see how she can play it to her advantage. If she’s an MCU villain she won’t care about the pain the residents are in.

1 Like

Yeeeah… That is true.
I’m sure all that will be clarified next week.

My theory is that she infiltrated the sitcom land to try and persuade Wanda to do her bidding. The musical sequence starts with Agnes shedding this long cloak to reveal her 50s outfit, just before walking to the front door where she would introduce herself as “Your neighbour to the right. My right, not yours!”. I feel like they’d start with or at least show “Agnes controls the residents of Westview” or “Agnes conjures up a sitcom bubble”, but all we saw were moments of planting seeds of doubt in Vision as well as tormenting Wanda… though some stuff might be left out for now, to keep us guessing.
(Edit: aw shoot wait, Agatha was also sitting in the director’s chair behind the camera at one point… Damn.)
I really hope she’s just using this situation for ulterior motives and isn’t the source of it.

I’m sure there’s a nugget of truth to Wanda’s grief and agony over Vision’s death fueling this city-wide hostage situation.
If Agatha was really in total control, she could have just separated Wanda and Vision herself, but instead she took the long road and played along with it.

3 Likes

Okay so I’m happy they seem to be moving back in the direction of it was Wanda and her grief all along. I like it. Makes her seem more human despite having godlike powers.

2 Likes

I appreciate you guys’ diligent spoiler marking :blush: gonna watch the new ep now

Damn, so this episode was actually just a great character piece looking into Wanda’s grief. Think they handled all of it pretty well and fleshed out her character a fair bit. And honestly that little chat between her and Vision on her bed did more work for their relationship that anything else I’ve seen :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I honestly have no idea how magic works in the MCU tho, I thought Wanda was more like space magicy coz of the Infinity Stones. But guess it’s all the same? Eh, probably not too deep

As for White Vision, well :flushed: this is gonna end badly

1 Like

It gave me hope that the Hitman writers aren’t the only ones who can take a light touch with the storytelling. Just give me these little moments where you show, don’t tell me that the characters care about each other.

1 Like

WandaVisiooooon Episode 8

Really awesome episode that finally gives us a lot of backstory to Wanda, the origin of her fascination with US sitcoms and another push to strengthen Wanda and Vision’s relationship. (That was freaking cute seeing Vision try to understand humor.) Damn, I am super invested in this.
Also, I guess there’s actual Witches in the MCU now. (I know Wanda is literally the “Scarlet Witch”, but so far she’s been treated as a more cosmic-stone-powered superhuman. They’ve planted seeds that she’s always had her powers in this episode, so I wonder if they’ll expand on that later for a comic novice like me.

I’m glad that they’re sticking to the idea that it wasn’t actually Agatha, all along. Wanda really did take a whole town hostage in her grief. Also wow, we finally understand the meaning behind that scene from the first D+ Marvel trailer. It’s just heavily edited (or un-edited, without the CGI).
Now there’s just a few superpower scenes and that one shot of Wanda and Vision holding hands, staring out the window that we’re missing…

There’s still quite a few lingering questions left too, hopefully there’s enough time next week to answer them. (Like, are the kids illusions too? Did Agatha subliminally coax Wanda into conjuring them (with the creepy “For the Children”)? If so, why? Just to kill them and make Wanda release her grief? Was Vision not enough?) This episode really only felt like half of a full one. I cannot wait for next week – but I don’t want it to end!

One thing I really disliked about this episode was Agatha’s dialogue after every flashback. She would just recount the events that we’d just seen, it felt pretty redundant. (Though, that might be intended for the more casual viewers.)

Also goddamn, I saw a comment on Reddit about how the Calendar Heart in episode 1 takes on a whole new meaning now. If everything in Westview changed, including Wanda’s letter, it must have become the Heart-marked date, and right after the change, as Wanda and Vision begin to settle in, they question what in the world the meaning behind it is… :sob: Jeez, that’s crushing.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping for! Give me a human story, expressed with superpowers. We’re all capable of doing terrible things if we indulge our worst impulses and I’m just so grateful but surprised that Disney and the freaking MCU have the balls to make protagonists own that. It feels like more mature storytelling.

And that line? “I can’t feel you”? Holy shit. I’m now watching Infinity War and Endgame because of this show and holy hell that line hurt even more knowing that it was a callback. Oof…

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of funny discourse around Vision’s line “what is grief, if not love persevering?” It’s a good line no doubt. Great wording of a classic sentiment, performed by a good actor. But some people are acting like it’s the most poignant words ever written.

Perhaps they’re just caught up in the emotion of the episode and that quote resonated with them. Can’t blame them for that.

Personally, it’s about as good as anything other Marvel quote “I’m with you to the end of the line” “love you 9000” etc.

2 Likes