TV Show Discussion Thread

I don’t know where everyone is from, but is the movie-going experience outside the U.S. as frustrating as it is here? Here it’s way too much money for a ticket, way-Way to much money for anything from the concession stand, and generally just unpleasant most of the time with people coughing, using phones, and talking during the movie.

2 Likes

I’m starting to let myself feel the hype :smiley:

I don’t normally give a crap about trailer breakdowns, but I’ll make an exception for Neil Gaiman.

There’s some nice insights about the original comic and the thought process behind how to adapt it to television.

4 Likes

After some delay, my sister and I finished Ms. Marvel. Episode 3 felt like it skipped some things just for the sake of it and I could not tell you what was going on in episode 5 but episodes 4 and 6 were great with 6 in particular setting up the future of the character well.

The most important thing, however, is Iman Vellani. She is a fantastic addition to the MCU and I look forward to seeing more of her. (But I liked Captain Marvel so what do I know? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

Nice. I plan to finish the series tomorrow with the last episode. I’ll post my thoughts here when that happens.

It’s definitely a very fun series, the slice-of-life stuff with Kamala and her fam is great.
I’ve mostly found the series to be well-written and paced so far, but the stumbles are very noticeable. That one villain heel-turn in Episode 3 for instance (the villain in general IMO), and the last half of Episode 5.

I saw Episode 5 just yesterday, and that Partition sequence was really well-done. They shifted genres and told a compelling love story in a real, (and for me, relatively unknown) historical event for 20 minutes, it was impressive.

2 Likes

Just started watching Shameless. Been class so far. Also decided to rewatch all the modern Dr Who episodes pre-Capaldi era because I have the time. Planning to watch ‘Stranger Things’ and finish Better Call Saul

1 Like

My wife just started Capitani on netflicks. Some sort of police drama. It’s not in English but she refuses to read subtitles so she has the dub version on. The voice actor for the main guy is John Hopkins (Lucas Grey).

The show seems alright so @Mini or anyone else who likes that guys voice might wanna give it a try.

3 Likes

heeeeell yeah. More John Hopkins VA sounds cool. Might check it out myself

On the topic, this reminds me once again of Erik Ahlberg from Hilda. We get to hear a bit of a upper-class british accent from Hopkins. Seems his arc was finished in the film but I do hope he appears in Season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdvlFKJKYH8

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/OiR_lMNlJko

3 Likes

Not really a fan of the trailer’s editing overall, but I’m still pretty excited for the show. Had no idea it was coming so soon (september!)

With studio trigger running it, it will be gorgeous.

3 Likes

Just watched all of Slippin’ Jimmy, the best show in the Breaking Bad Franchise.
I’ll admit, when Jimmy said ‘it’s slippin’ time’ and proceeded to slip, I lost control over my body due to the complete and utter euphoria I experienced.
(Yes my bladder leaked and I urinated through a chicago sunroof)
Such an artistic and intricately detailed quote, from one of the shows of all time. It has graphics, characters, plots, voice acting, and even producers. Certified 40 Jimmylion/10 rating.

5 Likes

Go on… you have my interest AND attention.

Argh. Okay.
It was a reference to
BCS S1 E10:

Quick question, who here knows what a Chicago sunroof is?
Anybody? Well back home, there was this guy named Chet. Chet was a real asshole. He might have owed me some money, he might have slept with my wife before she became my ex-wife. The details don’t matter. Suffice to say I was wronged.

Alright, so one summer evening, I was out having a few drinks. Or two, maybe three. You get the picture. And, uh, who do I see? Chet! He drove up and he double-parked outside of Dairy Queen. He went in to get some soft-serve. Now Chet drove, and just to give you an idea of what [kind of a douchebag] he was, Chet drove a white ‘97 pearlescent BMW series. With white leather interior. So I saw that thing, and I’d had a few like I said. And, uh, I climbed up top, and I may have, uh… defecated through the sunroof. Not my finest hour, I’ll grant you that. But that’s what a Chicago sunroof is, now you know. It’s a real thing, I didn’t make it up, I’m not the first person to do it, there’s a name for it. Guy wanted some soft serve? I gave him some soft serve. I did not know that his children were in the back seat. There was a level of tint on the windows that I’ll maintain to this day was not legal in an Illinois-licensed vehicle. But somehow that’s on me, I guess. Who leaves two Cub Scouts in a double-parked car with the engine running? Come on! Well Chet was connected, you see, like, uh, Cicero connected. So usually I’d be looking at malicious mischief, public intoxication, disorderly conduct, maybe. But he’s got the DA saying indecent exposure. Calling me a sex offender, what?! One little Chicago sunroof and suddenly I’m Charles Manson?! And that’s where it all went off the rails! I’ve been paying for it ever since. THAT’S WHY I’M HERE! I don’t…

1 Like

I’ve finally found it: a discrepancy, an error, in the otherwise and hitherto unimpeachable continuity of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe.

Last night’s episode confirmed how long it has been since Saul and Kim broke up, and prior to that, the show had covered a range of time that was about, I’m gonna say, three years. Let’s take away one year from the time the episode takes place since Mike was killed by Walter. We see Mike’s granddaughter in that episode. For a story that covers roughly an eight year period from when we first see Mike’s granddaughter to when we last see her, she is far too young for that much time to have passed. She’s barely aged at all.

This is the only discrepancy I’ve ever found between the shows, but holy cow, is that a big one.

3 Likes

The biggest discrepency was lalo asking kim wexler to put on shoes.

1 Like

The one thing I always found surprising is when the Gene (black and white) part is. When I started watching it I was certain it was a few years after the end of breaking bad, but nope.

The whole Gene part ? When BCS starts it has been a month top, currently two months that saul was on the run/with a new identity.

Breaking bad runs from september 2008 to september 2010. The gene part starts in october 2010, and is currently in november (the 12th for the phone call).
It’s not a discrepancy, not really, but it took me aback.

As for Kylee, if you want @Heisenberg, from the wiki :

• While Mike is interrogated by Hank and Gomez during the episode Madrigal of season 5A of Breaking Bad, Hank reveals that Kaylee is 10 years old. It is not certain, however, that Hank knows Kaylee’s exact age and then gives a rough figure, but Mike does not react to this information. The actress who plays Kaylee is then 12, which makes the character seem naturally older than 10 years.
  • In the episode 50% Off of Better Call Saul (which happens in 2004) Kaylee is shown learning her multiplication table, which kids usually do at 7 or 8 years old. That would mean that Kaylee is 12 or 13 at the time of events of Breaking Bad, which roughly matches the actress age.
  • If Kaylee is 10 years old in 2009, she should be about 3–4 years old in 2002, at the time of Better Call Saul. However, it is clear that the character is older than 3–4 years and the three actresses who play successively Kaylee are older.
  • In a podcast, the showrunners discussed this topic and responded that it was indeed an assumed inconsistency.
3 Likes

Well, they definitely messed that up, because not only does she not look or act like she’s ten, Mike doesn’t even treat her like she is. She comes across more like she’s seven or eight.

2 Likes

As an LOTR fan, I’m eagerly awaiting Rings of Power :smiley: .

1 Like

So today I found out Bob Odenkirk (is that sauls actors name?) follows a… feet-based social media account. Props to him for managing to get through all the foot (massage) scenes of kim wexler. Especially when he managed to not place his buttocks on the pie in series 2 but then again he probably satisfied his needs with the other extra pies he bought.

1 Like

Bob Odenkirk unfollowed the account.

1 Like

Ha! Clever, but far too late. The world knows.

1 Like