TV Show Discussion Thread

Very recently finished the first season of Kim’s Convenience.

It’s a sitcom (based on a play) about a Korean-Canadian family in Toronto who owns and operates a convenience store. All the seasons are on Netflix for me, so I’m checking it out for the first time.

I’m surprised and dissapointed I hadn’t decided to check it out before now, it’s nice! Can definitely see why this became such a local hit.

Seeing local landmarks and areas is pretty cool, the show has some great messages of unity and coming together as a family, and lots of the humour is pretty fun, particularly involving Mr. Kim/Appa’s strict demeanor.
Paul Sun-Hyung Lee definitely has his catchphrases down pat. Same inflection, every time, always fun. (“Ok, See You!” “Stop! :raised_hand:” in that exact way)
He’s not a perfect character, but his conviction to treating his customers with respect and good service is really nice to see every episode.

Its also pretty cool to see essentially where Simu Liu got his big break into the mainstream Canadian conciousness as Jung, before slingshotting his way to Marvel Studios as Shang Chi. Damn. What a trajectory :star_struck:

The show isn’t perfect – I found a lot of the conflicts surrounding Janet revolved around her vs. her dad’s stubborn old-ways-of-thinking and that kind of got boring. Hopefully she has something else to do than butt heads with Appa later. (Sitcoms don’t usually find their footing in S1, its ok.)
Also, I feel like the parents’ heavy Korean accent and broken english are played up for laughs sometimes, which I feel guilty for giggling at sometimes, though I’d say it’s probably a character trait made to reinforce the idea behind the younger generation clashing with the older generation’s old ways of thinking/speaking.

I’ll definitely have to re-read the play, since it’s been a good few years since I read it for school, and I’d love to see what was specifically adapted from the page.
I remember there being much more of a conflict and climax in the story between Appa and Jung in the play, but they really seemed to downplay or skirt around it in the show. Maybe it’ll come later, but it’s probably sticking to its sitcom rules.

7.5/10, very nice introduction.

3 Likes

I have finally decided to start watching this, im actually really interested in it so far

Jesse, We need to cook

4 Likes

Kim’s Convenience was a great watch, quite funny. Especially the gay discount episode…

2 Likes

That was like… the first episode my dude :grin:

but yes it was fun

1 Like

Still the most memorable for me. But yeah I have actually watched the show not just the first episode.

1 Like

He defecated through a sunroof! And I saved him! And I shouldn’t have. I took him into my own firm! What was I thinking? He’ll never change. He’ll never change! Ever since he was 9, always the same! Couldn’t keep his hands out of the cash drawer! But not our Jimmy! Couldn’t be precious Jimmy! Stealing them blind! And he gets to be a lawyer!? What a sick joke! I should’ve stopped him when I had the chance! And you - you have to stop him!

3 Likes

Well, that’s Saul, folks. Better Call Saul, and the overall Breaking Bad franchise, has come to its bittersweet, yet appropriate conclusion. I’m glad we got to see some previously unseen flashback material to some familiar faces, allowing us to see them one last time.

6 Likes

Good ending. Only logical conclusion to the Saul Goodman era. That last shot of Jimmy behind the fence as Kim left his field of view. Chilling. Bravo Vince/10 rating.

7 Likes

Burning through the Lincoln Lawyer tv show right now. It’s better than I thought it would be.

2 Likes

Just watched the finale of Better Call Saul. A well-thought and pretty good ending, Bravo Vince.
Now to re-watch all of Breaking Bad again.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Been decades since I was an Addams Family fan but interested to see how this turns out.

5 Likes

only weird thing is the dad looking totally different…

1 Like

2 Likes

This wasn’t on my radar at all. It looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

I know you’d said earlier that you adore the comic books. I’m about half way through and as a fan of Gaiman’s graphic novels I’m really enjoying it. The atmosphere and setting are spot on and is an example of a show that could only be dreamed (excuse the pun) about being produced not so long ago. It’s got a really great cross-over with an unexpected and superbly played character, Johanna Constantine (based on John from DC’s Hellblazer series and performed by Jenna Coleman), plus characters you’d expect to find, like Cain and Abel. The performances by Tom Sturridge as Dream himself (a.k.a. Morpheus) and Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthian are fantastic.

For those that missed @ZeroGravitas’s post, click on the up-arrow link to the post to see the trailer.

2 Likes

I’ve become a fan of Jenna Ortega’s recently so she’s the main draw for me (but I remember having a good time with live action movies from the early ‘90s.

I’m slightly concerned Wednesday is smiling too much? Admittedly, I’m only really familiar with Christina Ricci’s portrayal but I only remember her smiling once in 2 movies and it being horrific. Here, while it is certainly sinister, she smiles 2 or 3 times in 2 minutes.

2 Likes

jeez, let the girl smile. (Jk I get your point, hopefully it’s just for the trailer)

I finished The Sandman a few days ago and have been slowly ordering my thoughts for an obnoxiously long post…but it turns out the rumors are true and there’s a surprise bonus episode that features two of the stand-alone stories, including one of my favorites, “A Dream of a Thousand Cats”. :smiley:

4 Likes

Alright Campers!

I watched Total Drama Island (Season 1) to see what all the fuss was about.
It was decent. Probably something I would have enjoyed more in its time and at a younger age, but it was a decent parody of reality competition shows. Also the Canada representation was fun. Woohoo Muskoka!
Not sure I’d be interested in watching any other seasons though, unless they’re any better than this one.

I liked the insane challenges Chris cooked up throughout the show, and it had some nice use of cartoonish violence and slapstick. It often went into gross-out humour and that’s where I got really turned off from the show. There’s only so many times I can see someone clean a dirty toilet in a weird way, see Owen rip a fart orchestra, or see everyone in the same room puke over something. It got repetitive, boring, and I practically never enjoyed those moments.

The idea of a “scripted” reality show is neat, given the writers can write whatever stakes and character twists that would make good TV, but honestly that didn’t totally happen here.
Some characters I was surprised to see them make it as far as they did, some others I could clearly see favouritism for, and others were just filler whose gimmicks wouldn’t last long.

That’s another thing, the show is full of characters, they each usually have their own gimmick. Beth is the awkward braces-laden nerd. Katie and Sadie are the annoying BFFs. Heather is The Mean One/The Villain. Lindsay is the ditsy blonde.
Some of the show definitely feels like a product of its time though, even if it was 2007. Leshawna was mostly the sassy, angry black woman. Owen was occasionally the closeted gay guy who got weird looks from everyone. Some of it didn’t hold up in my eyes.

And there’s 22 characters at the start. It got pretty hard to keep track of characters throughout the show with how many there are – though I had my faves – but near the last third I could finally reliably put names to faces.

Heather really makes me mad though. They telegraphed her top 3 placement way too early on in the show. The moment she started proclaiming she’d be in the top 3 and started forming alliances and sabotaging players, I could easily see where that was going.
But a lot of it relied on some really blind luck, she managed to piss off literally everyone on the show at various points, and often refused to be a team player, It’s maddening she made it till the near-end. But I get it… villain…

Good season 1. Found it a bit too long for my liking, given much if the humour was hit, miss, or a slight chuckle. Don’t think I’ll continue.
The last episode being double-length was surprising though. I didn’t think they’d be granted that flexibility in those days of television!

3 Likes

This might be the most w chicken post and you post a lot of w’s

3 Likes