TV Show Discussion Thread

The next episode is reportedly based on the “left behind” dlc

2 Likes

I’ve now watched the first six episodes and I have to admit, I don’t really get what the big deal is.

4 Likes

With each episode with the exception of episode 3 im left with the same mindset of “this is certainly the last of us alright”

4 Likes

Is it a documentary ? Is it reality television??
Is it just Top Gun on the road ???

Drive to Survive new season is out on Netflix. It’s amazing so far. Pure competition.
@YellowZR1 I expect you’re watching.

3 Likes

The big deal is having a game adaptation that does not suck, I’m kinda in the same boat, every episode being fine (except for 1 and 6), but as a big the last of us fan (That hates part 2) this show has been really entertaining, I wait for the week to end in order to shut every light off in the living room, turn the TV on, get myself some popcorn and watch it in the darkness.

Huh, funny enough I feel like the only person thinking ep3 was alright, I guess I was overhyped, saw people on Twitter calling it “One of the best episodes on television history”, and I just waited while watching the episode to see what was the fuss was about till they kissed and I went “ohhhhh it’s a gay relationship story… cool I guess”

1 Like

Me while rewatching episode 3 and episode 5 with my sister this week: (she was behind on a lot of them)

damn, they do get me attached really quickly. props to the actors for having such charisma. :cry:

3 Likes

Adapting Part 2 is a gonna be an uphill battle. I hate to say this about TLOU Show, but Pedro Pascal being attach to this show really feels like it’s gonna hurt it once we get to Part 2. Especially for the people who jumped on to this show for Pedro. I expect viewership to decline during Part 2 since the death of the character for peoples first time with the series and Part 2 is gonna be controversial like how it was for the game.

I like Pedro’s work, but he is flavor of the week and the go to “Daddy Figure” for these type of roles right now.

1 Like

New Last Of Us Episode was probably the worst one for me by far, but it’s not necessarily a bad episode. I personally just never cared for the Left Behind story. It’s largely cause like the game version to me it’s just a lot of random stuff till something actually happens at the end of it.

Looking forward to next week where we get to see David and his group.

3 Likes

Saw Episode 6 of the Last of Us (last week’s episode)

I enjoyed it! I liked the additions to their journey to Jackson, and how much longer the sequence in Jackson (and in the actual town this time) was.

Seeing how Ellie learns of Sarah from Maria and Joel having a much much deeper heart to heart with Tommy – and especially THAT scene from the game. They did a superb job, though I still think I prefer the game’s rendition.

The University sequence was surprisingly quick. Would have liked 5-10 more minutes of exploration or debate on why its so quiet or empty. Or fighting more than just one raider.

I’ve seen people complain about no action or infected in the episode but I don’t mind at all. This isn’t an action series, its way more a character-driven drama. The violence and scares is in smaller segments but they still hit hard.

What I really liked: Joel’s frightening confession to Tommy. He’s afraid, so very afraid, and having panic attacks about it.
I LOVE how they’re doing so much more to set up his choice at the end of the game. Bill’s letter to protect someone, his fear of not being able to protect someone again, overpowered by someone younger, the loss of control… oh man he’s gonna flip by the end and I can’t wait.

What I didn’t like: How Ellie finds out Joel is giving her to Tommy. Where the hell was that? In the game, she overhears an argument. In the show… did they just forget to add in that bit? She quotes Joel about leaving her, but we didn’t see her overhear that at all!
My mom and I are very confused about that, though I know the root of her reaction so I know where its from…

3 Likes

About the last paragraph, there is a small glance of her wandering in the town when the thing is being discussed. In the same area. They probably should’ve shown more of it.

4 Likes

Right, my mom and I watched and rewatched that scene twice. I get that she’s walking outside, probably looking for Joel, but it looks like she just wanders and goes home

Unless we’re supposed to take her anger and “quoting” of Joel to be “you abandoned me all day, I clearly see you want to unload me to Tommy”.
Eh, idk, could have done better IMO.

Also I just realised that the scene where Joel attempts to “interrogate” the Indigenous couple might lead into the actual very scary scene from the game where he violently interrogates two of David’s men later on. He unsuccessfully uses the same line in the show
“Where is it on the map? And your buddy better say the same thing… :rage:

4 Likes

Episode seven of The Last of Us was cute and it’s always fun to be able to see the exact moments where conservatives would have a conniption or two. I like that they didn’t add in a scene where Ellie had to kill Riley or something (I don’t know why but I had an odd fear they might) and I kind of wish they didn’t cop out on which one of them won the brick throwing competition and the water gun fight (“can’t make anything canon if neither make the final cut” -Neil, probably). It’s not like it’s a huge deal or anything but I kind of wanted to see those. I did like the derpy Halloween masks making their way in though. Anyway, it did what it set out to do, which was to drive home why these two (Ellie and Joel that is) keep choosing each other. Definitely looking forward to the cannibals.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t seem like the biggest fan of the source material, right? I just ask because I wonder why you watch it. I do apologize on behalf of those of us are excited about it for bringing it up all the time. We aren’t gonna stop but I do apologize. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Eh… To me, it depends on how they adapt it. I assume they won’t split the story like the game did and I feel like that will make all the difference in regards to the pacing and letting the audience get attached to characters (particularly the ones in Abby’s story). On top of that, the producers have also already proven their ability to add to the source material. I think they’ll be okay.

Bella Ramsey is definitely capable of carrying the show but that really sounds like those people’s problem (though they might get him for a few flashback scenes, depending on how they go about putting those in).

Maybe for people who’s first interaction with this world was the show but even then, who knows. It again depends on how they bring the story to life and I think the passage of time has caused/allowed quite a few people to reassess their initial reactions to the game. I’m not everyone or even a lot or even anyone here but I’ve seen more than one person talk online about rethinking the second game. I myself loved it so I’m very much looking forward to the second season.

They definitely seemed to rush the ending of episode six, for sure. It’s like they spent so much time in and around Jackson then they remembered they only had like ten minutes left to set up the cliff hanger… :man_shrugging:

Those also work better in video game worlds which this is not. Also, dialing back some moments allow the really intense moments to shine even more. If everything’s cranked up to eleven all the time, we get desensitized to it and things like killing kids or the end of Kansas City or certain events yet to come get lost in the shuffle and become just another… thing.

3 Likes

Im a fervent disliker of the game correct, i think the show is better though (episode 3 alone is better than the entire game). And im watching it out intrigue and with my family whove been thoroughly enjoying it. I also enjoy discussing the show here and irl with friends.

3 Likes

About episode 7, it seems like an unpopular opinion but I like episodes dedicated to character development. They’re awfully despised though, just look at the scores for Stranger Things S2:

Oh and the kiss… I had a felling it was going to happen, got disappointed as the episode went on without one and just about the end… it happened, I was right!

5 Likes

People claim to want things like long term story telling or character development until they actually get them; then it slows the story down or is a filler episode or interrupts all that sweet mind numbing action. Also people like to review bomb things because they’re only happy when they’re unhappy for some reason… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I never played the game (which is probably why for me the show is just “OK” - not great, but not bad either). I don’t ever discuss things with my “real” friends (primarily because I don’t have any) but my family thinks the show is pretty good so I’m watching it more because they are than for any other reason.

I don’t particularly enjoy what I guess I could call “excessive backstory”. As an example, there was an episode that told all of the backstory around the two guys who give the main characters the truck (well, “give”, in that they told them to take what they needed). Their actual interactions with the main character were minimal in the actual show but nearly a whole episode went into who these two guys were. Then they died and the show picked back up. I didn’t need to see any of that. Was it mildly entertaining to see how other people coped with the situation? Sure. It just wasn’t necessary and I don’t think that the show would have been any worse for not including it.

Like I said though, the show is “OK” and I’ll probably watch all of it as it comes out, but I have zero knowledge of the game and no preconceived expectations for any of it going forward.

3 Likes

Episode 7 was a blast, I was tearing up a bit, no too much, but damn that was great.

6 Likes

Episode 7 of The Last of Us! Whoohoo Bella Ramsey killing it as Ellie, Storm Reid also matching her energy and having such a great dynamic together.

It was a nice best-of, slightly cut down version of the flashback scenes from the Left Behind DLC. They got in quite a few references to the game as possible which I loved.

What really impressed me is that they kept the RAJA’s ARCADE and Macho Nacho stores, both Uncharted references! (Raja being Eddie Raja from Uncharted 1, and Macho Nacho eventually got referenced in Uncharted 4 in an optional conversation. To think we now have Uncharted Easter Egg references on a highly successful Last of Us TV Series is WILD)

The whole episode was a great detour into seeing Ellie’s backstory, though I can’t help but lament the fact that TV viewers won’t be kept in suspense as to Joel’s fate like how it works in the game. – You get a lengthy 60-minute sequence in-game after Joel’s injury, not knowing where Joel is, who Ellie is with, and seemingly surviving on her own.

One thing I really did not like at all in this episode was when they showed that one Infected waking up in the mall. It just… wakes up, and you don’t even see it again for another 20 minutes or so. For my mother who knows nothing of the games – it really killed the mood for every other scene after that – since she kept expecting it to jump out at them at every turn.
The game’s events don’t handle Infected in the flashbacks until the very end of it. You get a very safe, mostly stress-free experience with Riley, until they all get drawn out by the music at the end! It’s supposed to be an unexpected moment, not keeping you on edge-of-your-seat suspense!

Really great one though and it adapted it all well. I will miss the Water Gun fight though…
Bella Ramsey’s anger and desperation in the final scenes was EXCELLENTLY PERFORMED
EP8 is gonna be cool! Troy Baker appears! OOH

EP9 prediction: Given that we haven’t seen it yet, which I was somehow expecting it in this episode – that one damn shot of Ashley Johnson with a newborn baby from the trailers! I’m betting since the last episode will be about the Fireflies, the Hospital, and The Cure ™, we will finally see a cold open for that episode, showing Ellie’s mom, probably with Marlene as she gets bit and teases the fact Ellie could be immune, tying up that loose end (though whether it needed a definitive answer is up for debate)

6 Likes

If Chicken is doing some predictions for the show I’ll do one too, I bet that in the last episode, when Joel kills the doctor, he’ll beg for forgiveness and will mention the fact that he has a daughter (Abby) to make her sudden appearence in Part 2 more natural.

3 Likes

We saw Mandalorian S3 E1 last night.

Baby Yoda is still “totes adorable” and the show is more of the same. We still like it, but after being treated by Andor we’re kinda like “oh yea nothing happens in this show… that’s right we forgot.”

4 Likes